Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:46 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Jard trigger for A17

Looks like Jard has just introduced a trigger for the A17 / A22 with weight options down to 1lb. Problem is that it will cost you almost as much as the gun...

http://www.jardinc.com/savage-a17a22/
Old 12-25-2018, 07:50 PM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the heads up on that. The A17's got a poor trigger, worst part on the gun, but for 250.00 plus its just too jagged a pill to swallow. I would bet it's a great trigger though, jard makes great stuff.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripekiller View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that. The A17's got a poor trigger, worst part on the gun, but for 250.00 plus its just too jagged a pill to swallow. I would bet it's a great trigger though, jard makes great stuff.
I know right. Maybe 125 to 150, but that price is just too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 11:36 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doing a trigger job on the A17's helps them out a lot. I tuned up the trigger in my A17 myself and it helped A LOT, it's still not perfect, but it is way better than it was out of the box from Savage. Mine out of the box was terrible, but I've heard other guys say theirs wasn't bad at all. I was pretty unlucky with the trigger in my A17 because it seriously sucked, but I lucked out with everything else because it shoots really well.

I guess if you luck out and get a A17 with a decent trigger, spending another $250 for a aftermarket trigger would be a hard sell, but if you get one with a really sucky trigger, spending the extra cash for a good trigger maybe wouldn't be so painful.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:46 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After a long bit of research, took the chance and bought an A17 with heavy barrel and thumb-hole laminate stock. Had high hopes in accuracy. Unfortunately, got one with a truly pathetic trigger. Absolutely the worst trigger I have ever pulled. I've not done any trigger work on my guns for many years (just getting back into shooting after a long hiatus) but I'm sure I cant make it any worse than it is. And if I do, I'll have a good excuse to get the Jard.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litewings View Post
After a long bit of research, took the chance and bought an A17 with heavy barrel and thumb-hole laminate stock. Had high hopes in accuracy. Unfortunately, got one with a truly pathetic trigger. Absolutely the worst trigger I have ever pulled. I've not done any trigger work on my guns for many years (just getting back into shooting after a long hiatus) but I'm sure I cant make it any worse than it is. And if I do, I'll have a good excuse to get the Jard.
I just wrote about this in another thread, it seems there is no middle ground with regard to the triggers in these A17's, you either luck out and get a really good one of you don't, and the trigger seriously sucks arse. The trigger in my A17 was the later of the two and seriously sucked and with a fair amount of work I was able to make a very respectable trigger out of it, but it definitely took some doing.

If you aren't well versed on triggers, particularly AR15 type triggers because the trigger in these A17's function very similar and are nothing like the trigger in a bolt action, I don't know that I'd recommend working on it yourself and you may be better off taking it to a good gunsmith, but if you do, pay extra close attention when you disassemble it, especially with how the safety floats back and forth in the safety trigger, that's the silver piece in the trigger itself.

I have mine down around 2-2.25 lbs with just a very slight hint of pretravel and that hint of pretravel pulls smooth, unlike the crunchy/jerky gobs of pretravel and extremely heavy trigger it had out of the box.

I find it very difficult to shoot just about any rifle, accurately, when the trigger is that bad.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I just wrote about this in another thread, it seems there is no middle ground with regard to the triggers in these A17's, you either luck out and get a really good one of you don't, and the trigger seriously sucks arse. The trigger in my A17 was the later of the two and seriously sucked and with a fair amount of work I was able to make a very respectable trigger out of it, but it definitely took some doing.

If you aren't well versed on triggers, particularly AR15 type triggers because the trigger in these A17's function very similar and are nothing like the trigger in a bolt action, I don't know that I'd recommend working on it yourself and you may be better off taking it to a good gunsmith, but if you do, pay extra close attention when you disassemble it, especially with how the safety floats back and forth in the safety trigger, that's the silver piece in the trigger itself.

I have mine down around 2-2.25 lbs with just a very slight hint of pretravel and that hint of pretravel pulls smooth, unlike the crunchy/jerky gobs of pretravel and extremely heavy trigger it had out of the box.

I find it very difficult to shoot just about any rifle, accurately, when the trigger is that bad.
I plan on going easy to start with. Smoothing and squaring off the crude spots and polishing things to get rid of the grinding rocks sensation in the long travel. Had it apart already, cleaned and lubed things and just an overall inspection of the workings. Didn't expect a miracle out of that process but now know I'm starting with a clean slate.
Did notice though that this trigger is a different design than others I've seen pics of.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 AM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picture of my A17 trigger. Some changes compared to others I've seen pictures of online. Still works awful after these changes though.trigger.jpg

Last edited by litewings; 01-16-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
litewings, you are correct, your A17 trigger is a little different looking than mine, which is a couple years old.

Except for the spring arraignment for the disconnector and safety trigger, that's the silver piece, the parts are relatively the same and serve the same function as the previous trigger model like mine.

Though your picture doesn't really show it, I'm assuming there is another spring that is not pictured that controls trigger pull, yes?

In the picture of my A17 trigger assembly, the larger of the two, barrel spring with the little pig tail tab sticking up at the top of the spring is the spring that controls pull weight. If I recall, I had to clip a coil or two off of that spring in order to lower the pull weight. Sanding and polishing the sear and the sear engagement notch in the hammer worked great for eliminating nearly all of that crunchy pretravel/creep but it did little to lower the pull rate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A17 Trigger .jpg (473.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:03 PM
dtalbot

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
triggers

In my search for a .17 HMR, I've been looking closely at the Browning T-Bolt.
After looking at several reviews of that rifle, everyone says the trigger sucks, and recommends the Jard kit for it, as well.
I'm starting to think the .17 HMR isn't for me., too many issues, that is, unless you go with the V word. But geez, that's even more expensive than the other options, WITH the Jard kit.
I may just stick with my CZ 512 in .22 WMR, no issues with it.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:03 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
litewings, you are correct, your A17 trigger is a little different looking than mine, which is a couple years old.

Except for the spring arraignment for the disconnector and safety trigger, that's the silver piece, the parts are relatively the same and serve the same function as the previous trigger model like mine.

Though your picture doesn't really show it, I'm assuming there is another spring that is not pictured that controls trigger pull, yes?

In the picture of my A17 trigger assembly, the larger of the two, barrel spring with the little pig tail tab sticking up at the top of the spring is the spring that controls pull weight. If I recall, I had to clip a coil or two off of that spring in order to lower the pull weight. Sanding and polishing the sear and the sear engagement notch in the hammer worked great for eliminating nearly all of that crunchy pretravel/creep but it did little to lower the pull rate.
Yes there is a trigger spring in the same location as yours. I see a lot of stock on the trigger where the small diameter threads in. I'm planning on milling some of that off, to in effect, lengthen/lighten the spring and still have a good deal of adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trigger2.jpg (209.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by litewings View Post
I'm planning on milling some of that off, to in effect, lengthen/lighten the spring and still have a good deal of adjustment.
That's probably a good plan and should give you a wider range of adjustment. I think you're on the right track with that.

Wonder, why, and or when, they changed the design to the one like yours has.

This would actually make three different designs Savage has used in these A17's because I recall watching a video on the Savage sight about the A17 when it first came out and noticed in that video the trigger springs was slightly different than the one in mine and mine is obviously different than yours. I'm not sure that earlier design, like was in their video, actually made there way into any production rifles though. I think that was maybe more of a preproduction design.

Regardless of how you get there, once you get the trigger tuned up in your A17, get it down to a reasonable pull rate, as well as get rid of that nasty jerky crunchy pretravel, I'm certain, you will find your A17 far more enjoyable.

Last edited by B23; 01-16-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:11 PM
litewings

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine was new December 2018.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:55 PM
dtalbot

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
There's a modification video on-line that discusses the spring and how you can further adjust it. Doesn't seem like too much of a hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba3sWKdl8lU

The cigarette burning, that's wild.

Last edited by dtalbot; 01-16-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Nebbiolo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check this thread:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1148021

Easy and completely reversible mods to my A22 gave me 1# and no creep.