Who has a Scope on Browning SA22? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:48 PM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Happy with my scoped Auto-22

- Browning cantilever mount
- Talley rings
- Leupold Vx-2 1-4x
Old 08-15-2018, 12:20 PM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I use this inexpensive US made mount for my SA22. Aluminum, and it mounts solid with easy take down clearance. Perfect for the also inexpensive Weaver rings from Walmart ($7.99). There is a 2nd hole that's hard to see from the picture at the most forward end of the base, but it's there.
Extends way back over the receiver and multi slots for rings placement. Plenty of eye relief plus with the short & slender Leopold VX-1 2-7 X33 scope.
The scoped rifle isn't mine. It is a picture from the seller's web site. North Woods Outpost of MN.

Last edited by ViperR; 04-14-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Progress update - Leupold Freedom 3x9x33

Well, I thought I'd give an update as things are moving a little slow.

I went to mount the Browning mount to my rifle and stripped the barrel threads on one screw. It still had a couple threads in the bottom to bite into, but the screw that came with the mount was not long enough to reach them.

Between the mount being shipped from Amazon without the screws, and the stripping of the barrel threads, and a couple other household projects gone wrong, I had decided to call it quits on this project and leave well enough alone before I broke something else.

THEN, I got the Leupold Freedom 3x9x33 scope that I had ordered from Optics zone. I got it for $137 under list, which was better than anywhere I could find. Let me describe this scope for those of you who may be considering one:

I chose this scope for several reasons:
1) I wanted something close in size to the Leupold rimfire 2x7, but I wanted adjustable parallax. I have it on one of my VX2 6x18x40 scopes and it makes a difference regardless of the maginfication level. I have other scopes without it and there is a noticeable difference in my ability to get consistent groups. YMMV on this, but to me it was a big plus that was featured on this scope.

2) the largest diameter of the front bell is 1.5", which is the same as that on the Freedom 2x7x33 scope. So proportionally, I thought it would look about right for the petite size of the SA22. Albeit, the transition from thr 1" body to the forward edge of the objective has a slightly greater angle, giving the scope a visual appearance of a little more bulk. This was a tradeoff I was willing to risk. If it didn't work out , Optic zone would have accepted a return or exchange within 15 days as long as I had not mounted the scope. So really there wasn't much risk in trying the 3x9.

3) The weight; At 11.5 oz it comes in very close if not the same as the lightweight 2x7.

Now for my impressions of the scope after unboxing it:

1) Construction: Even though it is a lightweight scope, this thing has a feel of being machined from a block of billet aluminum. I can't believe how sturdy it feels, and how smooth the magnification and parallax are to manipulate. It is every bit as good if not better than my VX2 scope.

2) The glass is absolutely incredible . I had several guys look through it besides myself and all of us felt it was as good as anything we have ever seen up to $1000 or so price point.

3) The reticle is a fine duplex that is very very sharp. I have astigmatism and I was able to adjust reticle clarity to a sharper image than my VX2.

4) The parallax adjustment works beautifully and the calibration marks for distance are spot on.

I should mention the listed eye relief on this scope is 3.1 to 3.4" which is a little bit closer than some others. But I think that will be just fine. The Browning mount will get the scope back plenty far enough.

In short, I was about to toss in the towel on this project. I took the rifle to a smith and a machinist and the fees they wanted to correct it were ridiculous. Part of the complexity was that enlarging the theaded barrel would require enlarging the hole in the Browning scope mount. There really is not much metal there to play with, and drilling it out to the next size might possibly take me to the outer wall of the mount, giving me very little metal on the mount for the screw to bite into. The people I talked to both said the answer was 1) either machine a new mount for the gun, or 2) machine a new custom screw with an in between size thread, and a custom size screw head. Both options a buttload of money just in the tooling setup required.

But after I got this scope, I just can't get myself to send it back without exhausting all of my resources. The Optic Zone has been kind enough to allow me more time to try to find an answer. I have a couple more things in the fire and hoping one of them will work out. One of them is something I found here on RFC doing a search. Brownells has designed a screw kit just for these kind of mishaps. The threads are 1/62" larger diameter, and they sell a tap to match. All in on that is $40. The screw head is very close to the size of the recessed hole on the scope mount. Using a micrometer, it looks like this will work, however, it is the front screw on the mount, so I can't afford to miss if I am off and need to open up the hole.

I did end up buying the Talley Rings as suggested earlier, and I am glad to report they do not disappoint as they fit the scope mount perfectly, yet will provide enough clearance to accomodate a scope up to 1.83" max diameter. So the 1.5' scope should sit in there nice and low where I want it..

So, after my run of bad luck lately, I am going to have a friend with much steadier hands than I set this up when the parts come in.

In closing, my advice to those who go to mount these in the future is to trust your feel over the setting on the torque driver. I suppose it's possible I cross threaded the screw, but I don't think so. I don't think 18 in pounds would strip the threads . But my digital dexterity aint the best so I can't rule out my own shortcomings. At any rate, err to loctite and a snug setting as these threads went pretty easy.

ymmv

Thanks for the help so far everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to hear about the stripped screw hole.
I do think the Brownells kit will fix it though.

What kind of torque driver to you have?
I've personally seen more than a few Wheelers that were more than a bit off.
(My experience with the aftermath of using a poorly calibrated torque driver is how I know the Brownells kit will fix it).

Smooth

Now I personally have never needed the kit for myself, because I have one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBF1TqFt59Y
http://www.toolsdelivered.com/CDI-40...cro-Adjustable This is the correct model (CD401SM).

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 08-16-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is mine!

Norico ATD.With disparaged weaver mount

Last edited by Toomany22s; 07-20-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:10 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
Sorry to hear about the stripped screw hole.
I do think the Brownells kit will fix it though.

What kind of torque driver to you have?
I've personally seen more than a few Wheelers that were more than a bit off.
(My experience with the aftermath of using a poorly calibrated torque driver is how I know the Brownells kit will fix it).

Smooth

Now I personally have never needed the kit for myself, because I have one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBF1TqFt59Y
http://www.toolsdelivered.com/CDI-40...cro-Adjustable This is the correct model (CD401SM).

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! . Yes Smooth , it is a Wheeler torque driver.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally got my scope mounted, and I'll post pics as soon as I can.

However, I've run into more questions.

I have the Browning scope mount and Talley rings. On the rear section of the mount, directly beneath the rear scope ring, There is an allen screw that appears to be a stop, or stabilizer for the rear of the scope mount. On the underside, the part of the screw that makes contact with the barrel appears to be nylon tipped.

My questions are : If I adjust this screw to touch the top of the receiver, will I be able to take down the gun without marring the receiver?

What is the standard practice in adjusting this screw?

Thank you,

Jeff
Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
My questions are : If I adjust this screw to touch the top of the receiver, will I be able to take down the gun without marring the receiver?

What is the standard practice in adjusting this screw?

After asking the same question, I removed the nylon tipped screw. It doesn't appear to cause any ill effect.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
After asking the same question, I removed the nylon tipped screw. It doesn't appear to cause any ill effect.
Thanks OldWolf.

I already have it together and I tightened it just enough to touch the receiver. To remove it, I need to take the scope off, rings etc. Can you tell me if taking the gun down (with the way I am set up) will cause a problem?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I would want to avoid removing the scope from the mount and barrel assembly. The scope would need to be re-sighted after each removal. If you have to do that every time just to keep the nylon tipped screw installed, that's a lot of work for a minimal (or zero) benefit.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:09 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
I would want to avoid removing the scope from the mount and barrel assembly. The scope would need to be re-sighted after each removal. If you have to do that every time just to keep the nylon tipped screw installed, that's a lot of work for a minimal (or zero) benefit.
Exactly Old Wolff. I don't want to do that. My question is whether or not leaving the screw where I have it will in fact cause damage on takedown. Are you ASSUMING it will , or do YOU KNOW IT WILL, Based on personal experience or the word of others. I can't fathom whyBrowning would put it on a rifle that was meant to be taken down if it were to cause damage.

Aw heck, forget it, I'll just call them tomorrow and hope for someone else who has left it in place comment on the implications . My hunch is I don't think it will except for perhaps the area directly under the nyylon, which you can't see with the barrel locked in place
Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking Well Well Well....

My disparaged weaver mount didnít have any nylon tipped screws.
Just sayin....
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 PM
jcp1300
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Adjusted mine to just touch. Had to locktite the screw to keep it from moving. The plastic tip has not damaged the receiver. Your experience may differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp1300 View Post
Adjusted mine to just touch. Had to locktite the screw to keep it from moving. The plastic tip has not damaged the receiver. Your experience may differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you
Old 08-23-2018, 04:48 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here she is with the 3x9x33 Leupold Freedom EFR scope.

I fired it yesterday for the first time with the scope . I was breaking pieces of previously broken clays at 100 yds. What a fun little rifle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCBE248D-C52B-4031-89C9-8C4CE3AB93B7.jpg (392.2 KB, 26 views)