Who has a Scope on Browning SA22? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I just rememberd that I purchased the Weaver mount before I switched to the Browning. I just found it in one of my storage boxes. It was simple labeled "Don't Use" and "Switched to the Browning".

I thought about not posting this because its been so along ago that I don't remember what I didn't like about the Weaver.
That makes this post weak, and I admit it.

However it was something that was a big enough deal that I spent the money for the Browning on a rifle that I rarely ever shoot (I don't hunt).

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-30-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:40 PM
paule
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
99% (117)
scope

Might want to try a 3/4 redfield 4x if you can find one.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:37 PM
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Browning SA22

[QUOTE=jcp1300;11111151]

Browning mount with Leupold 4x mounted. Leupold 3x9 AO sitting above for scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

Does this mount require removal of the rear sight ?

Old 07-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Yes, it does require sight removal.
They all require removal of the rear sight, with the exception of the Leupold mount,and even that one might need the sight removed or a little doctoring, if you have a pre 73 gun with the single large adjustment screw on the rear sight.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (92)
I have a 3/4 inch redfield scope on mine which has the rear wheel sight and oil finished wood. It is a real sweet heart for squirrel hunting. Easy to carry, good clear optics which do not look clunky on the petite lines of the rifle.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
With Leupold VX-1 2-7 rimfire scope
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F2F6410-5FD5-4199-AA4B-697F9C863895.jpeg (196.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:36 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
The Family has three SA's, one I gave my DIL the lefty (Japanese w/Simmons scope cause she'll hardly ever shoot it) , a very nice Japanese and a late Belgium that live at my house and both have Leupold 2-7x Rimfire Specials on them. All use the Browning mount and rings.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:01 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paule View Post
Might want to try a 3/4 redfield 4x if you can find one.
Size wise,they are nice.Construction wise/optically wise, not so great..and they're all aging,with no service available as far as I know.
Price wise, right up there with the vastly superior Leupold 4x rf special.

Gru-bee imports a repro model of the Redfield,which sells for about 130 with rings and has better features than the original.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I know I wonít win the argument here , but the current non slender browning mount is a big fat piece of pig iron when compared to the current smaller slender significantly lighter weaver mount, which is aluminum, which also allows the takedown feature to operate, and which is significantly less expensive. And yes it only has 2 rail slots, but it is also dove tailed so you have plenty of space to mount your rings, I used Leupold.

But if you really like that cowcatcher front end and like a heavier rifle and have money to burn then the Browning is for you.

But hey I am parsimonious and my SA is a Norinco that cost me$200 NIB so what do I know?
"Parsimonious?"Gee, if you're going to use $50 words,you can afford $50 mounts. I do happen to agree with your observation about the appearance of the new Browning mount. It is bulky,too heavy duty looking for such a petite rifle,and why they didn't go with a gloss finish to match the rifle, I don't know. My older version is gloss, slender and light, and I haven't experienced the flexing that some claim that it has.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:39 PM
lock17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 60s SA22 with Dovetail mount
Would love to mount a 3/4 gloss scope!!
Anyone used the dovetail mount on this beauty?
Old 08-01-2018, 05:02 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lock17 View Post
I have a 60s SA22 with Dovetail mount
Would love to mount a 3/4 gloss scope!!
Anyone used the dovetail mount on this beauty?
Lots of folks, though they went to the barrel mounted cantilever base in 66 or 67, since the grooved receiver types were prone to losing zero after take down. The grooved receiver types ate nice in that the rear sight can remain.
For a 3/4" scope, you can hunt down a Browning(made by Redfield), a Redfield, or a Gru-bee
Old 08-01-2018, 06:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking Aw shucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
"Parsimonious?"Gee, if you're going to use $50 words,you can afford $50 mounts. I do happen to agree with your observation about the appearance of the new Browning mount. It is bulky,too heavy duty looking for such a petite rifle,and why they didn't go with a gloss finish to match the rifle, I don't know. My older version is gloss, slender and light, and I haven't experienced the flexing that some claim that it has.
Caint find one like yers! Does they havem down at the feed store?

Does that comply with your vernacular requirements? Sure I use $ 50 words. My favorite tome is the Thesaurus. I also have $50 more in my pocket and a scoped SA!

Really , Iíd like one like yours, glossy and elegantly proportioned.But alas it was not to be. My search for one proved fruitless.And I wasnít putting that Oxidized Finish of an Abomination Cowcatcher Browning Billboard Anchor on my slender, elegant, light weight,un slung ,Cheaper Chinese Copy SA rifle for twice the money and twice the weight as a simple ,smaller ,lighter, glossy, understated weaver that does the same job.

But aesthetics is personal, like spending,so to each his own. The op asked for opinion and advice , and I gave mine. Let him decide what he wants.

P.S. I have 3/4 scopes and smaller and while they look better, they donít see as good, when compared to 1 inch or bigger scopes, less bright and less field of view and less magnification .Since the end objective, is to see what youíre shooting at and see it get shot , I personally,due to ocular impairment,stayed away from that option on this rifle.But other guys like them, so you might too.

Bottom line, these are fun guns, get yours shooting good for you ,and take it out early and often, you wonít regret it.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:13 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I know I wonít win the argument here , but the current non slender browning mount is a big fat piece of pig iron when compared to the current smaller slender significantly lighter weaver mount, which is aluminum, which also allows the takedown feature to operate, and which is significantly less expensive. And yes it only has 2 rail slots, but it is also dove tailed so you have plenty of space to mount your rings, I used Leupold.

But if you really like that cowcatcher front end and like a heavier rifle and have money to burn then the Browning is for you.

But hey I am parsimonious and my SA is a Norinco that cost me$200 NIB so what do I know?

I don't know what parsimonious means, so you'll get no argument from me

I have done a little research since posting this thread and it seems there are some mounts that dont extend as far rear as the Browning mount. I don't know which are which, but from comments and looking at images there are some differences. Without being able to see them side by side , I think the browning mount is the most likely to give the best positioning of the scope.

I could do what my wife often does. Buy several of them and return the ones I don't like.

For the guys that run the Browning mount, I see they are only compatible with Browning rings, no. 12333. I gotta believe there are less expensive rings out there that will do the job just fine. What are you using for scope rings?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2018, 06:18 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
I don't know what parsimonious means, so you'll get no argument from me

I have done a little research since posting this thread and it seems there are some mounts that dont extend as far rear as the Browning mount. I don't know which are which, but from comments and looking at images there are some differences. Without being able to see them side by side , I think the browning mount is the most likely to give the best positioning of the scope.

I could do what my wife often does. Buy several of them and return the ones I don't like.

For the guys that run the Browning mount, I see they are only compatible with Browning rings, no. 12333. I gotta believe there are less expensive rings out there that will do the job just fine. What are you using for scope rings?

Thanks

Talley scope rings..
Extremely high quality.
Buy them.. don't look back.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Gru-Bee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope for Browning SA 22

My favorite scope for my Browning SA 22 is the GruBee WolfPup 4X 3/4" tube. It is made exactly like the baby Redfield and has the form fit and function I want on the Browning 22. The rings are also a dead ringer match of the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Browning auto.jpg (175.9 KB, 9 views)