Taccom Pressure Plug source - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:51 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Just saw this thread and though of you guys over here...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Ta...OCK/15-728423/
Old 06-26-2018, 06:04 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Just saw this thread and though of you guys over here...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Ta...OCK/15-728423/
You missed posts #23 & 24, above.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Surefire
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If anyone still wants one of these I found some here: https://www.velocityfirearms.com/pro...pressure-plug/

I ordered 2. I'll probably regret not ordering more since no more or being made. They have 10 left as of 11/15/18.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Or for the DIYer... You can make your own (and some to give away) for about $1 each

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Above link is for the 7/8" diameter, which should work but I bought a 12" piece of the 1" diameter (it is tough stuff) and it is just a wee bit too big to fit in a buffer tube, but my belt sander and I reduced the OD enough to fit.

Last edited by 9x19; 11-15-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 PM
Surefire
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I looked for the 1 black Deleon tubes but decided it was easier to buy the ready made. The tubes were all too long for 1 or 2 pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-28-2018, 12:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased 2 and will use them in near future with my Retro AR Dedicated builds .
Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Out of stock now. Meant to order some as backups.

Ordered some other parts and can make my own plug later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2018, 02:24 PM
SecondAmend

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About 8-10 years ago, a common way to stop the .22 conversion adapter from moving fore/aft in the barrel was to put a thin wrap of teflon tape around it. The tape does a nice job of holding the adapter in place without any damage or modification, and may stop some blowback. The tape simulated the two o-rings that were used on the Spikes Tactical .22 conversion. I'd try the teflon tape wrap to see if there really is a movement generated issue, or if the issue lies elsewhere, before I bought anything.

I tend to agree with the comments made by the CMMG representative. There are tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of AR .22 conversion units that function just fine without any "pressure plug" or "ball/detent modification" aid, especially in semi auto mode. But I do acknowledge that there are those who appear to have made sincere and diligent efforts to resolve reliability issues, and found that a "pressure plug" or "ball/detent modification" aid has helped them.

Also, an early AR-15 conversion (U.S. patent no. 3,771,415 issued in 1973) which is the Army M261 adapter has (or had) a leaf spring at the back of the adapter that interfaced with the lower to push the adapter forward. The subsequent .22 conversion designs by Atchisson (which I believe to be the most common type) do not have such an element.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:44 PM
kevinbear
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back in the early 90's I bought a Colt conversion kit for my H-Bar, I shot a couple of boxes of ammunition and sold it. I don't remember exactly how inaccurate it was but it was something like a 4" gun at 50 yards, not good enough for tin cans at 25 yards.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondAmend View Post
About 8-10 years ago, a common way to stop the .22 conversion adapter from moving fore/aft in the barrel was to put a thin wrap of teflon tape around it. The tape does a nice job of holding the adapter in place without any damage or modification, and may stop some blowback. The tape simulated the two o-rings that were used on the Spikes Tactical .22 conversion. I'd try the teflon tape wrap to see if there really is a movement generated issue, or if the issue lies elsewhere, before I bought anything.

I tend to agree with the comments made by the CMMG representative. There are tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of AR .22 conversion units that function just fine without any "pressure plug" or "ball/detent modification" aid, especially in semi auto mode. But I do acknowledge that there are those who appear to have made sincere and diligent efforts to resolve reliability issues, and found that a "pressure plug" or "ball/detent modification" aid has helped them.

Also, an early AR-15 conversion (U.S. patent no. 3,771,415 issued in 1973) which is the Army M261 adapter has (or had) a leaf spring at the back of the adapter that interfaced with the lower to push the adapter forward. The subsequent .22 conversion designs by Atchisson (which I believe to be the most common type) do not have such an element.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
The MAC / Atichisson unit predates both the M261 and the Air Force unit and was substantially different from later Ciener/ Atichisson units
Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 PM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got a CMMG kit, and I wanted one of these, and couldn't get one, so I've got a few running on my 3d printers. I'll test a couple, and possibly ship out a few prototypes for cost. Would there be sufficient interest if I machined a small run (25-50 maybe) and sold them for a reasonable price? Let's say $10 plus shipping for the sake of argument, I'm not sure what my actual costs will be yet.

I've made some mods to them, I'll post some pics when they are done and then I test them I'll make any necessary revisions and then make the prototypes I'd ship.

Post up how many you'd want if I machined them so I can get an idea of if this is feasible to actually do a run.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Gripen

TPC Rating: 
96% (26)
I would want at least one, maybe two, if they were machined out of delrin (or a similar material). I have no idea if there'd be any appreciable different shooting with and without one, but you know how tinkeritis is.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:49 AM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a couple in hand hot off the presses. My cmmg kit should come in the mail tomorrow at which time I'll test them. They insert into the buffer tube perfectly -- I altered the design a bit to eliminate the need to push the detent pin down while inserting. Simply line the channel up with the pin and push in, then rotate 1/4 turn to lock in place.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:51 AM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
I would want at least one, maybe two, if they were machined out of delrin (or a similar material). I have no idea if there'd be any appreciable different shooting with and without one, but you know how tinkeritis is.
I'd machine them out of delrin after the design is nailed down. If anyone who has a lot of "miles" on a conversion kit wants to chime in with suggestions on other improvements to my design, I'm listening!
Old 04-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Gripen

TPC Rating: 
96% (26)
Those look great, pretty clever design.