Is the Stainless model worth the extra money? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:05 AM
Mystery_Milk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the Stainless model worth the extra money?

I was wondering whether you folks thought the 10/22 in stainless was worth the extra money.

The receiver is aluminum, so the finish on that shouldn't make a big difference. Aluminum doesn't oxidize easily. The only difference between these two would be the barrel.

Normally I like stainless for the obvious reason of it being more resistant to rust. But in the case of the 10/22, there's a huge array of aftermarket barrels for it so if for some reason the bluing wore off or the barrel got a lot of rust on it, it's easily replaceable. Given that, I don't know if getting a factory barrel in stainless is worth it. I don't have any plans to replace the barrel on my next 10/22 though.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:48 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Stainless can be more attractive. And it can be more resilient to abuse.I have a stainless takedown.I got stainless cause it lives in the trunk of my car.The rest of my 1022s are blue.So if you don’t plan on leaving exposed to oxidation.Blue is better cause it is cheaper.Also some people say since blue is softer than stainless it is more accurate.Also stainless requires you to get stainless accessories,like scope rings and scopes etc all of which are slightly more expensive than there blue counterparts.But then again there is something desirable about the 20-22 inch stainless sporter delux or manlicher.Better,no prettier yes.If I were you , I would go to cabellas on the 22nd , and buy the 169.99 deal , buy a bx Trigger 60 bucks or less, and their 50 buck 3x9 scope for 22s , and for 350 bucks have a really good 1022 starter kit. Then the real fun begins. You go to the range and shoot up a bunch of ammo till you find out what your gun likes best.then you focus on accuracy getting smaller and smaller targets.then you wonder about a bull barrel,and a pinned bolt and a better scope and a better trigger, or even more Money a better receiver.oops I also forgot to tell you to immediatley replace the buffer pin.The stock one is steel and the after markets range from a cut off plastic screw to a neoprene sheathed smaller steel pin. The point is they really make the gun quieter to the shooter. Since you have your face welded to the stock you hear the bolt slamming into the buffer thru your jawbone. Also it is better on the bolt and the receiver for a # of reasons.

Buy what you want,you will be happier!

Last edited by Toomany22s; 11-20-2017 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Spellink
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking go with the stainless

no big increase in price but looks good and maintenance is easier. my black stock stainless barrel 10/22 at wal mart was just a hair over 200. get the BX trigger, soft bolt buffer and auto mag release to make yourself a fantastic little plinking rifle. the JWH 38.00 custom bolt kit also makes for a great 10/22!! have fun, and build yourself your "custom" rifle! good satisfaction in that, it is truly yours.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
go for the one you like the looks of...I usually go for factory stainless barrels if I have plans to have the barrel modded, as you don't have to worry about it being refinished after the work has been done to it, or for a range/hunting rig that may get a little mishandled now and again
Old 11-20-2017, 11:32 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The blueing on blued barrels will not prevent rust. I started to get small rust spots on a blued barrel carbine that I purchased quite recently and had not even shot much.

Now I apply a light coat of oil to the exterior of the barrel after every outing in case I got my sweaty hands on it.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Rnjr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unfortunately the blueing isn?t the problem. It?s the metal prep and polishing, or lack there of before the blueing. It?s rare to see your higher end rifles ever rust, you may see blueing getting worn thin, but metal doesn?t rust. As far as stainless. If rifle is handled and used without wipe down or oil, at some point it too will rust unless it?s a fine highly polished stainless.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:46 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 2009 DSP is blued, or rather, black oxided. They didn't offer blued back then, and I don't know what finishes are used now or since then (?). Anyway, I'm normally a stainless guy, but somehow, that checkered walnut stock just needed that "traditional" look.

With stainless 10/22s, only the barrel is stainless steel, anyway. My oxide barrel still looks new on the outside. The inside stays good by way of a dry patch followed by an oiled one every month or so.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:23 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One small disagreement with Toomany22's excellent post above; there is really no basis with regard to performance in the field to justify spending extra for stainless scope rings and a silver scope. Unless you really dislike the color contrast (I love my stainless 220 Swift Chuck gun with the blue rings and scope), just do what he and others advised - buy what you like.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:41 AM
Mystery_Milk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the responses guys!

I'll probably go with the stainless. Aesthetically it'd probably go better with the aftermarket stocks I've been looking at. I like black rubber or FDE plastic with stainless, and those are the stocks I plan on using. I like blued with wood, but I'm not big into wood stocks.

The rust prevention is also good. I know stainless doesn't prevent rust forever, but I don't rub my guns down with oil after every range trip so the stainless finish will probably be a bit more forgiving for that.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:50 AM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't pay extra for stainless if it's the sprayed on pewter finish. Mine is the polished stainless and more than pleased with it.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
it is all in the eye of the beholder - i would not pay extra for a ruger stainless as i love the blued models myself ,

i did but a stainless sig 1911 - i had to have that , and im looking for a stainless S&W 357 for the same reason , they are not 22s - i do have a stainless 10/22 but i did not pay a premium for it , just sayin ,

i will only buy the stainless 22 if it speaks to me ...mostly i buy what i remember as a kid or find interest in of that era , mostly they were blued in my world
Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 PM
KUSA
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I paint all my stainless barrels black. If my blued barrel shows signs of rust Iíll just paint it black too.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile OOPS my OCD snuck out again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
One small disagreement with Toomany22's excellent post above; there is really no basis with regard to performance in the field to justify spending extra for stainless scope rings and a silver scope. Unless you really dislike the color contrast (I love my stainless 220 Swift Chuck gun with the blue rings and scope), just do what he and others advised - buy what you like.
Sorry,I presumed that my compulsive desire for symmetry was universal.You are absolutely correct contrasting scope rings and scopes can be very attractive too!Now am thinking about a silver scope set up on a blue 1022.

And to the op.Good Choice.Stainless in a Black Houge overmolded stock will be stunning.Especially with a contrasting scope set up.