Can CCI QUIET .22lr be used humanly on small game - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 PM
UncleFester
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
I'll try to get a couple more boxes and take it down to the gravel pit to see how straight it fly's on paper . I got a bunch different of .22 lr ammo here and I'd like to check out what kind of damage they all do . Does anybody know how to make a descent home made ballistics gel ? I try'd a recipe I found online last summer but didn't turn out so great .
Have you considered getting an air rifle?

My Benjamin should get to 800fps and there are many models that are faster, quieter, and more accurate. As a kid (a long time ago), we killed squirrels when we got close enough to hit them with open sights - no problem. I am planning on using my Benjamin on chipmunks.

As to the CCI quiets, you should be able to kill anything squirrel-sized and small that you can consistently hit in the head/vitals.

Last edited by UncleFester; 06-11-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have considered this but it's far down on my list of rifles i need/want .
Old 07-03-2016, 07:34 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Smile

[QUOTE=Shooter011;5580961 What I need to know is can I use CCI quiet .22 lr ammo on small game ( prairie Dogs , squirl , rabbit etc ..) humanly and if so from how far away . Reason I ask is I have a few problems with pest and sometimes see tasty critters around the house now I already got the info and its legal to shoot here but neighbors are still close and dislike hunting . This would just be a way of being discreet and keeping the peace .[/QUOTE]

Have you ever thought of making a "small game bullet" by filing/cutting off the nose of the round?
There are a bunch of threads on the forum about this. A fellow by the name of Hanned used to make and sell them before he retired,"The Hanned Line", and a member named Komatjie (?) made and sold devices for doing that.

I don't want to sell mine, bit I'll bet some of the forum members have one stuck away in a drawer, hardly used, which they might sell to you.

All it is, is a piece of metal with a .22 chamber sized hole drilled in it, just long enough to let the nose protrude slightly, then you sandpaper/file/cut the nose off to provide a flat. (Truncated cone?) Mine leaves enough roundness on the bullet to eliminate feeding problems, and it doesn't seem to harm accuracy.

The flat nose is said to increase the effectiveness on small game of whatever round you modify .

On the other hand, being Canadian, and part of the British Empire, shooters in Great Britain seem to enjoy the use of suppressors without the experiencing same sort of government hassle that we in the colonies do. Maybe that would be an option? Then, you could use higher velocity ammo without riling the neighbors.

Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sharp nail rotated in a hp bullet if you wanna WHOP sound with hydrostatic shock effect on critters. A razor blade will produce some petals if you make relief cuts.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Superscout
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpedGSG View Post
I think as long as you stay under 50yds, you should get good performance from the Quiet 22 rd. I have become quite partial to them. Even at 720 fps, I think they'll do a good job.
I really like them and bought several hundred rounds. At 50 yards I was getting 3.1 mils of drop. The group also opened up to over an inch. I think they are best used at point blank range.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:56 AM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
Have you ever thought of making a "small game bullet" by filing/cutting off the nose of the round?
There are a bunch of threads on the forum about this. A fellow by the name of Hanned used to make and sell them before he retired,"The Hanned Line", and a member named Komatjie (?) made and sold devices for doing that.

I don't want to sell mine, bit I'll bet some of the forum members have one stuck away in a drawer, hardly used, which they might sell to you.

All it is, is a piece of metal with a .22 chamber sized hole drilled in it, just long enough to let the nose protrude slightly, then you sandpaper/file/cut the nose off to provide a flat. (Truncated cone?) Mine leaves enough roundness on the bullet to eliminate feeding problems, and it doesn't seem to harm accuracy.

The flat nose is said to increase the effectiveness on small game of whatever round you modify .

On the other hand, being Canadian, and part of the British Empire, shooters in Great Britain seem to enjoy the use of suppressors without the experiencing same sort of government hassle that we in the colonies do. Maybe that would be an option? Then, you could use higher velocity ammo without riling the neighbors.

Good Luck!
Suppressors are very illegal here and there isn't even a way of getting a licenceto get one .
Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 PM
brenne93

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
shot placement! shot placement! shot placement!

shot placement!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM
rep314
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile CCI Quiet on Small Game

In my late teens and 20's my buddy and I formed a team to exterminate woodchucks in mid Virginia and were welcomed by farmers all over our county. We depended on .22 Mags for shots 100 yards and less, .222, .22-250,.243 and .270 for longer shots.
Suffice to say I have seen the results of wound cavities many, many times on small and large game. That said here is a story. . . Last week I shot a rabbit in my back yard at 45 yards with my Remington 580 using CCI Quiet ammo and found one of the most incredible wound cavities I have ever seen. I have to think that the solid nose round must have initially broken off a rib and pushed it through the critter as the exit wound looked like one produced by a big bore center fire.
Also I would note that at 25 yards and 50 yards I easily maintain very tight groups with the round nose CCI Quite ammo in the 580 and in my Savage FVSR and find the same reliability from that round as all CCI Ammo.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM
jhog4805

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot a big coon at the bird feeder last night with cci Quiet 40g solids. Bought 28 yard shot center of head broadside, dropped instantly kicked a couple times and it was over. I use this ammo for squirrel hunting on scoped mark ii head shots only 35 yards and under. Never had one get away, instant lights out. Practice practice practice!!! I practiced shooting at eggs at 35 yards till I could hit them almost every time.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:20 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot of good advice here. CCI quiets can be quite good... Some lots are not though. I also found it depends heavily on the rifle. My old 39a loves them. My CZ hates them.

On the head vs body shots on squacks.... A head shot stuns them and they usually fall out of the tree.... A body shot often results in a squirrel death grip on the tree - and you have a dead squirrel 50 feet up a tree.... Bigger varmints probably don't attach themselves permanently to a tree - so it's just a bit longer wait...

Distance wise - I try to stay under 25 yards. It drops like a rock past that - which means your distance estimation has to be pretty good.

Another option in SOME guns is the Aquila SSS. It's a 60 grain slug that runs around 700 fps.... They hit really hard. They stabilize fine in all my Marlins and my pistol (which I found out all have 14" twist barrels)... Not well in CZ's and other actual 16" twist barrels.

If that's not powerful enough - try a CCI subsonic SHP in a LONG barrel 22.... Like 24"+ barrel.... They hit a lot harder than Quiet SHP's. I shoot them out of my old 26" and 28" barrel 22 rifles like the old Marlin 39a, Savage 84c and Winchester 67a... Very quiet... They are a lot more noisy out of the newer 20" and 22" barrel 22's...
Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use CCi quiets in my Browning SA. They cycle the action but the velocity varies, sometimes I can watch the bullet loop to the target and not beyond 25 yards
Old 06-07-2019, 02:31 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Try the relatively new CCI Semi-Auto Quiet, about 100 fps faster and 5 gr.s heavier, I intend to try them out as they do very well in a couple of firearms suppressed. Thats 45gr. bullet at 835 fps.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:51 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I dont know about original question but Iv shot Aquilla quiet (no powder-only primer Ive been told), and it would NOT cycle the action on my Mark iii semi auto.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 PM
hans04

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have used the Quiet solids to dispatch two groundhogs, one opossum, and one large mangy coon.

In my CZ 452 Lux, if I set the tangent sight to 50m, the Quiets hit a little less than 1/4" high at 25 yards, and centered. This particular rifle is zerod for CCI Blazer, which it loves.

The first groundhog was just over 30yds out, and a shot right below the ear opening flipped his switch instantly.

The second was walking away from me at about 20yds, and I put the bullet at the base of the skull and he dropped right there and twitched once.

The opossum was about 25yds and trotting. I hit him in the neck and he dropped, but I put a second one in the chest quickly. I'm not sure if the first or second shot did him in, but he was stone dead for sure.

The coon was shot from the base of a tree shooting up, and I shot him under the jaw and it must have hit the brain as he was dead before he hit the ground.

Paco Kelly makes a handy tool he calls the Acu'rzr. It is a nose forming die, and I have read several great reviews of the tool. This thread has renewed my interest in the tool, as I never got around to ordering one. There are 3 or 4 different forming tools, and the reports on performance and accuracy improvements have been very positive. pacotools.com is the site

It might be just the ticket for turning the Quiets into even more effective short range rounds.

EDITED TO ADD- I just looked up the price for the tool, $75 plus $7 shipping. I may talk myself out of this quickly, lol. I still think a large hollowpoint or a cupped tip on the Quiets would be a great performer, but I don't think dropping over $80 to experiment is in my future.

Last edited by hans04; 06-13-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:42 AM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
Yea my father in law is kinda like that seems like everything he shoots big or small game he ends up putting 3 or 4 bullets into it and he's been hunting he's entire life . I only have about 2 to 3 years experience hunting and shooting but so far lucky all one shot one kill and most have drop on the spot but I do admit I practice shooting before each hunt and I've shot a lot of .22lr just for fun .
Good for you! My son-in-law's father hunts Elk with a 6 mm. But he always seems to get his animal. The first time (and last) I hunted with him, I found out why. He shoots them LOTS, until that little bullet gets to something vital! I suppose I shouldn't argue with success.

My first real experience with him was at my daughter and his son''s wedding reception. I was sitting there, and he approached, and said "I hear you like to fish." I said "Yes, I do." , He said "I don't like fishing!", and walked off.

Oh well...

I have also used Paco Kelly's Accuriz'r on .22 ammo, and found it improves some, and some it doesn't. I also got a little gizmo from somebody on the forum that allows just a little bit to be sanded/filed from the nose of a LR bullet, making it more effective for small game. Didn't hurt accuracy at all. YMMV.

Last edited by C.C.; 06-28-2019 at 10:47 AM.