target for testing tuner? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:28 PM
TrxR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
target for testing tuner?

What style target do you recommend for tuning with ?

Im going to try he hopewell method.

Im assuming that it would be wise to have a different point of impact than the point of aim?

Any tips would be appreciated .

Thanks
Old 06-02-2019, 05:34 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Not exactly what your asking for, but I like to use a graph type target.
http://millerpadsandpaper.com/graph-paper-pad/ I think this make it easy to see the up and down movement.

I first start without the tuner, I want to use a fast ammo and a slower ammo that the rifle will shoot rather well, without the tuner attached. Attach the tuner, sight in and adjust for the tuner weight. Hang the target level, level the rest, so that the crosshairs of the scope alien to the grid lines. Start with the fast lot, move to the next grid and shoot the slow lot. I use only one shot per grid line. Then using the actual Hopewell method http://newbrunswick-benchrest.blogsp...el-tuning.html Once you find the best tune, check it several more times on different days, different conditions and with different lots of ammo. I find doing this, instead of the more common two shot groups, will add to the tuning and compensate for the moving from bull to bull. This is just my method, others work equally as well.

Last edited by 52DH&R12; 06-02-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
What style target do you recommend for tuning with ?

Im going to try he hopewell method.

Im assuming that it would be wise to have a different point of impact than the point of aim?

Any tips would be appreciated .

Thanks
Some do prefer using an offset bull so they can stay aligned. I use this target which will give you 60 groups and because of the crosshair design you can always line up for the center. I also prefer to use 3-shots and only move 5-clicks at a time on the adjustments. when you find a setting that shoots good, try and take different lots and see if the setting will allow you to shoot the lots in the same group. more lots that will group together the better the setting would be.

Lee

Old 06-05-2019, 06:49 AM
jpx2rk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the ARA target with 25 bulls, adjust the POI down and use the surrounding box corner as the POA. Can get close to 50 aimpoints IMO if you're careful, but with the sighter boxes, you end up with ~30, which is a lot of tests/groups/adjustments on the tuner.