Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 PM
RotaryMags

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me Izhmash 7-4

I picked it up Monday.
I had the day off and was cruising my local toy stores and spotted the Izy stuffed in a corner of the shop. A lot of dust and a few storage dings, but otherwise very little wear.
I've always wanted to do biathlon, summer, MTB in particular.
Well, it was pretty cheap, and after buying it, I found out why!
Mags are unobtanium!
Well, while researching options (I was leaning towards a SAKO mag), I came across this forum and in particular, the tread about the Marlin mags.
Well, now 2 mags, 1 10rd and 1 7rd, are on their way from Cheaper Than Dirt, about 12$ ea.
Can't wait to get shooting this thing!

John
Boise, ID
Old 02-23-2018, 06:26 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryMags View Post
I picked it up Monday.
I had the day off and was cruising my local toy stores and spotted the Izy stuffed in a corner of the shop. A lot of dust and a few storage dings, but otherwise very little wear.
I've always wanted to do biathlon, summer, MTB in particular.
Well, it was pretty cheap.....

John
Boise, ID
Hey John, you were very lucky to find this. Just HOW cheap? Just curious, because these (the 7-4 model) are not seen for sale in shops that often, or anywhere else for that matter! The triggers on the 7-4 are MUCH nicer than those used on the 7-2 models. That is, at least in terms of easy adjustability and a better "feel" to the trigger action due to very specific geometry changes made to the trigger levers in the 7-4. The mags, or lack thereof, are a bit of a problem of course. The standard 5-rd 7-2 mags will work in the 7-4, but are very hard to manipulate due to the design of the 7-4's stock. The 10 rounders are easier to use, but are even harder to find. The correct 7-4 mag with the extended floorplate allows easier insertion/removal and are probably the hardest of all to source. I hope you can get the Marlin mags to work, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:47 AM
RotaryMags

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...sRwAN3Et1jIeb4

I picked it up for $437 out the door w/ the Governor's tip and a box of Ely match .22 ammo.

The trigger is pretty good, but I think I'm spoiled by my other rifles

I think the gun shop knows what I like and keeps placing them in the same part of the (very large) shop. There's a corner that collects oddities, and it's become the first place I look. Last time it was a pair of Daisy stamped FWB 300's. Not the more common 300S, got them for $500 for the pair.

The new mags should be in this week, so I'll keep posted about the results, looks like other are having good luck.

John

Old 02-24-2018, 06:48 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryMags View Post
[https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...sRwAN3Et1jIeb4

I picked it up for $437 out the door w/ the Governor's tip and a box of Ely match .22 ammo.

The new mags should be in this week, so I'll keep posted about the results, looks like other are having good luck.

John
John: WOW! That is an unbelievable price for a 7-4!! You done GOOD! Re the mags, I take it you found them at Larsen? Price?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
If you don't know, you can get trigger practice (dry fire) a 7-4 safely by simply removing the magazine. It trips the trigger but not the firing pin...Tom
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM
RotaryMags

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
If you don't know, you can get trigger practice (dry fire) a 7-4 safely by simply removing the magazine. It trips the trigger but not the firing pin...Tom
Thanks Tom!

I suspected as much, but I appreciate the confirmation!
I've been out of town for the last week, but made an ugly Marlin/JB-Weld mag before I left and hope to test it tomorrow.
I'll post the results.

John
Old 03-13-2018, 04:05 PM
RotaryMags

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, so after trying the J-B weld on one of my Marlin mags, I took the Izzy out to shoot. Conditions were less than optimum, and I was just shooting cheapo Winchester ammo.

After a few rounds to rough sight it at about 10m, I shot 10 rds at a target from a rest at 25m.

The group was about .75 in, but if I took out the two widest, it got me down to about .33 in. Pretty happy w/ that, ATC.

Then I set some golf balls out at the same range and hit every one from off hand.

REALLY happy w/ that!

Best part was, my wife really enjoyed shooting it. I think I just bought her a new toy

John
Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Gooddoug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was a great find! Been searching for one for a few months now. I’m a former biathlete and looking to get back into it and have had a hard time finding one.
Should your wife get tired of it let me know!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 AM
USGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please post pictures. Looks like Google removed them.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 PM
Zymurgist

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would also like to see photos!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ditto on pictures.

Also, my envy overfloweth on your find

My fantasy is to be at an estate sale and find a dusty, scratched up 1827 Fortner with a busted stock that they just want to get rid of for $100. I know, dream on.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 PM
RotaryMags

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Izmash 7-4 photos

Sorry so late for the reply, been a crazy winter/spring at work...

Thanks for all the kind words! As per the several requests, here are some more pics if the Izy
As you can see, there are some minor scuffs, all storage inflicted as far as I can tell. otherwise, I'd say it's nearly new.

I've had some inquiries about selling it. I feel kind of guilty keeping it, knowing there are others out there who could really use it. I'm not so much a collector as an accumulator of odd things and this just hits all the right buttons. Every time I think of selling I see that lovely hammer-forged barrel and put it back. It's kind of like a mini version of my SSG PIIK...

I know there are also collectors of all things Rus. I built a custom AK a few years ago and the level of detail and the drive to be 'as original' is very strong in that community. Not me. I build things how *I* think they should be!

One more thing. I made a 'prototype' filler plate that goes into the back of the magwell that allows one to use the Marlin mags with no other mod beyond a notch in the front for the mag catch. I'll post a photo when I make a cleaner version.

John in BOI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IzzLhSm.jpg (443.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IzzyRhSm.jpg (465.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IzzyMarkings.jpg (445.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, it even came with the peep-sights!
Lucky you
Old 07-03-2019, 06:05 PM
kylem_58

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
replay mags

i have two "relay mags" with the funny looking floor plate that i believe fits the 7-4. i dont need them if anyone wants to make an offer.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:00 PM
izhm

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sent you a PM on the mags.