Electronic Ear Protection??? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:34 PM
gkcs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

For years I have used MSA Sordin Supreme Pros - not cheap though unfortunately. They have excellent fit over the combs of most of my rifles. Previously I used passive muffs and then an earlier technology electronic muff. The early electronic muff was effective but very bulky.

A few years back I lost a substantial amount of my hearing after being treated for a serious infection with vancomycin.
I now need expensive hearing aids. Unfortunately I can't seem to be happy at the range wearing ear muffs over my aids so for range work I leave my aids at home or in the car.

I can still hear range commands (not 100% though) but have turn the Sordins to full volume. I guess I need to have another go at wearing the aids and muffs.

Moral of the story - look after your hearing. Hearing aids suck.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have significant hearing loss and have been very satisfied with MSA Sordin muffs. Shooting pistols outdoors I take off my aids and just use the muffs. When shooting rifles or other loud circumstances, I add ear plugs to the protection. In both cases I can hear conversation very well.

The Sordins are low profile and do not hamper rifle shooting. Mine have the gel filled ear seals which are very comfortable for extended periods. An often overlooked problem with otherwise decent muffs is the ear seals. Thin or hard seals do not seal around the ear pieces of eyeglasses greatly reducing the protection.

Another silly reason I like them is the metal body and the overall quality appearance and feel. Sort of like my P220:-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Johnny_Johnson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hear better and understand conversations better with my Howard-Leights over my hearing aids than with hearing aids alone. Been thinking about wearing my Howard-Leights to family events.

Later,
Johnny

Old 05-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Eric300
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
Thanks Eric! How's your hearing without them? As I've mentioned, I have hearing loss so I'm looking for something with enough amplification to let me hear range commands and conversations when I'm wearing them and when I am not wearing my hearing aids.
I was our Range Master for over 20 years at my PD, and also at one of our State Police Academies, so it was important that I be able to hear what was going on while running the line. Between that, running Z-mower lawn mowers, chain saws, riding a (LOUD) Harley, and listening to loud music for years, my hearing has probably diminished some, I reckon, but not to a point where I need hearing aids.....yet. I just turned 61 In March 2019. I would think, though, that you would be able to use these amplified Peltor Tac 7 muffs even without the use of hearing aids and still be able to hear pretty well.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:49 PM
ref441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hearing Protection

I have two sets of Caldwell electronic muffs that cost me $26/pair. I am not hearing impaired, but they work well for me. They use two AAA batteries.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 PM
WillowCreek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Electronic ear pro

I have severely damaged hearing due to health issues...I decided that since I have less than optimal hearing to start with that I wanted to get the good stuff. MSA Sordin was recommended by a spec ops veteran as what he wore a lot during training...and if itís good enough for the lads and lasses in our uniforms...you get my drift. I purchased the MSAs with gel ear pads and have no regrets. The volume attenuation is amazing at the pistol matches at our club. When someone else is shooting I can still hear my SO. My wife wears Walkerís, says they are more effective than the Leightís for her. Whatever you buy, if you can get the gel pad option over the foam ones I guarantee you will be glad you did. Dusty
Old 05-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Seven95
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am looking into electronic hearing protection for my grandson (upcoming birthday present). I use 3M synthetic ear plugs, so I have no experience with electronics.

Suggestions, Please?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 PM
98_1LE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I have the Peltec Sport Tactical 500's. Am really happy with them. I saw Wal-Mart had them for a very reasonable price.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:24 AM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i use the cheap caldwell muffs, my hearing aids have a remote, i just turn them off when i'm shooting, with the muffs over them. the caldwells cut out the loud noises but have some boost for regular hearing.