I pick up my Sig Trailside tomorrow - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:21 PM
Highpower4

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I pick up my Sig Trailside tomorrow

I went to get the pistol today, But their computers were down. This is the long barrel version, With what appears to have a built in mount for a red dot. I hope that is the case. I noticed that Champions choice has mags for the E_xsse. Will they fit my Trailside?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The mags should fit as the two guns are the same design with a few updates to the Xesse. I have not tested that so maybe others can chime in who have.

One thing to be sure to inspect before firing the Trailside is how tightly the trigger guard fits in the frame of the gun. When all the way up it MUST have its vertical leg hard against the frame behind it. If not then it puts recoil stress on the trigger guard's vertical leg and it eventually breask that vertical leg off the trigger guard. This mistake in production of the trigger guard caused the SIG Trailside to get a bad reputation and forced the redesign to the Xesses. After introduction of the Trailside, many of them broke the trigger guard, exhausting the supply of trigger guards in the USA.

If the trigger guard does not stop hard on the frame behind it then find out what is stopping it and remove metal there until it does stop on the frame. Any clearance there leaves the vertical leg of the trigger guard to absorb all of the recoil of the bolt in the bolt's rearward travel. It will eventually break or crack the vertical leg of the trigger guard.

This malady greatly reduced the value of these guns in the used market place. They are excellent guns once verified to be OK or fixed. I fixed mine with a few swipes of a file in a non-visible part of the trigger guard. Others tried various other complicated solutions I assume worked. But my solution was simple and non-intrusive to any other part of the gun except the trigger guard. It honestly only took a few file swipes on the top of the forward horizontal leg of the trigger guard where it fits to the bottom of the frame.

LDBennett
Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will check mine on the trigger guard question.

I have had mine for the better part of 15 years now.
It's my favorite 22 pistol. The grips are very comfortable and fits my hand well. Almost everyone who shoots it comments on how comfortable it is in their hands.

It also shoots very well.

My only complaint is that support is a big question mark now that Larry at Larry's guns passed away. The website said the parts would continue on (for a time at least until their stock sells out). I don't know if the company who has taken over Larry's stock will continue to reorder/import parts from Hammerli...

Old 05-22-2019, 09:21 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hammerli pistols are famous for competition shooting. Someone will see it as an opportunity to pick up the importation of guns and parts, I would think. Hammerli has many fans and some may have the money and time to continue Hammerli guns in the USA. If not, there may be a way to buy directly from Germany (or wherever in Europe that a distributor may live). I have done that with Beretta parts a few years back.

Also is gone the importation of guns and parts from Benelli (MP90S. and MP95E).

As a econo-Hammerli 208 the Trailside and the Xesse are great guns to have. I have many target 22's and the Trailside holds its own against many of them except the all-out Olympic style guns.

LDBennett
Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Welcome to RFC Highpower. I think you'll love the Trailside, I sure enjoy mine. Does it have the blue laminated grips? Also, IMO LD Bennett is an expert on these and I always take his advice to heart.

Have fun with it and maybe post a picture once you get it in your paws.

Frank
Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Larrys Guns has mags, under barrel counterweights to replace the cheesy plastic block under the barrel (better balance and recoil control) plus nice walnut grips to replace the OEM plastic or laminate:

Mags:
https://www.larrysguns.com/Products/...c-2742990.aspx

Grips:
https://www.larrysguns.com/Departmen...EsseBFont.aspx

Barrel Weight
https://www.larrysguns.com/Products/...30101-LGI.aspx

You’re gonna love your Trailside, I certainly do. Here’s mine with blue steel under barrel weight & walnut grips:

I drilled 3- dot dimples into my sights & painted the dots with white acrylic paint:

DrGunner
Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Larrys Guns has mags, under barrel counterweights to replace the cheesy plastic block under the barrel (better balance and recoil control) plus nice walnut grips to replace the OEM plastic or laminate:
"

Larry recently passed away and the business is now closed. The stock moved to someone else and at this point in time it is not clear who, if anyone, will pickup the importation of the several guns Larrys handled. In short, the future of these Hammerli made pistols (Trailside and Xesse and several other Olympic style guns) is unknown (????). A rush to support them is not obvious to me. Also in the un-supported mix is the Benelli MP90/95 guns.

Larry gave us firearms no one else would and he will be missed. He also provided service to these and other target grade guns. Maybe someone will step up to the challenge of replacing Larry and his business but so far no permanent takers, as far as I know. It is sad for both Larry's family's loss and those of us that used Larry's business.

LDBennett
Old 05-23-2019, 12:16 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
"Larrys Guns has mags, under barrel counterweights to replace the cheesy plastic block under the barrel (better balance and recoil control) plus nice walnut grips to replace the OEM plastic or laminate:
"

Larry recently passed away and the business is now closed. The stock moved to someone else and at this point in time it is not clear who, if anyone, will pickup the importation of the several guns Larrys handled. In short, the future of these Hammerli made pistols (Trailside and Xesse and several other Olympic style guns) is unknown (????). A rush to support them is not obvious to me. Also in the un-supported mix is the Benelli MP90/95 guns.

Larry gave us firearms no one else would and he will be missed. He also provided service to these and other target grade guns. Maybe someone will step up to the challenge of replacing Larry and his business but so far no permanent takers, as far as I know. It is sad for both Larry's family's loss and those of us that used Larry's business.

LDBennett
That’s a very sad loss.

The website was down a few days ago, but is back up now...

I wonder if someone took the reins or if it’s just running on autopilot?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:25 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Here's the update notice from his web page: UPDATE:

The inventory of Larry’s Guns, Inc. will be heading to Cardinal Shooting Center in Ohio!

Although LGI will not continue, a close facsimile will remain under the Cardinal brand.

Packing and moving the shop will be a time consuming process.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

CONSIGNMENTS AND REPAIRS:

The Estate of Larry Carter is in the process of shipping all consignment and repair guns back to customers.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 PM
rwgray76

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thanks for the update. Cardinal has been expanding its facilities of late. I heard they’ve added pistol and rifle ranges. Didn’t know they added a gunsmith and retail shop (in addition to their vendor row which houses many great retailers during trap shoots.). Glad they picked up Larry’s inventory. Will add it to my shoot visits this season. My trailside needs some tlc.