Dan Wesson .22 - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Over the years, I attend several gun shows a year, and I can't remember the last time that I have seen a DW revolver in .22 caliber for sale. I remember seeing one maybe 15 years ago or so with an 8 inch bbl that caught my attention. I can't remember the price but at the time I thought it was decent. It was one of those times that I had several guns that I was looking at and one of the others won out. Today my 617-1 scratches that itch.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up an older Dan Wesson .22 revolver several years ago @ a local gun show. Mine is the blued model w/ a 6" barrel. I DO like it and the only ammo I found that doesn't stick too bad in the chambers was Rem. Golden Bullets. It shoots great..!

It is one of very few DW's I've ever seen - rather scarce!

Brittman
Old 03-12-2019, 01:19 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
slicked mine up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittman View Post
I picked up an older Dan Wesson .22 revolver several years ago @ a local gun show. Mine is the blued model w/ a 6" barrel. I DO like it and the only ammo I found that doesn't stick too bad in the chambers was Rem. Golden Bullets. It shoots great..!

It is one of very few DW's I've ever seen - rather scarce!

Brittman
The one I had had some problems with ejecting the empty shells, I took some crocus cloth, and some super fine oil and polished the chambers.

Smooth ejection from then on. I miss that old revolver.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:05 PM
shagg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My crew, 2 on left are the 22's with ma and pa 357's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_152749_1552791836216.jpg (139.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 07:07 PM
DTDK
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I am lucky enough to have scored a super ram silhouette. 22 single action only with the double pinned shroud. This one actually out shot my freedom arms silhouette.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDK View Post
I am lucky enough to have scored a super ram silhouette. 22 single action only with the double pinned shroud. This one actually out shot my freedom arms silhouette.
You are very lucky, mine won't come close to my Freedom Arms 252.

And now for the rest of the story...

As mentioned above, my DW Silhouette had to be sent back and they put a new cylinder on it. It was much better, but I still couldn't get it to shoot consistently...I tried every good match quality ammo made overseas that I could get. Best it did was with Eley Tenex, but it just wouldn't group consistently. There would be some flyers in unpredicted directions, uncalled by me. (I am in the International class in all the IHMSA disciplines except for standing, so I didn't question my abilities).

I could clean the chickens and pigs all the time, but by the turkeys, the random flyer would show up...sometimes high, sometimes low...and I would miss a target. Same thing at 100 yards, either a high or low shot, most would stay on the target, but 1 or 2 would get away. I called it my 37 gun...cause that was it's average on the 40-shot course...frustrating. Never did get a 40x40 with it, shot a few 38's and a couple 39's.

The IHMSA Internationals were coming to Oakridge, Tennessee in 1991, about a 4 hour drive for me and I was going to go...my first International competition. That winter, Freedom Arms announced the new 252, and it had rave reviews in the accuracy department. A good friend of mine ordered one (he's also an International class shooter) and he kept telling me, after he had shot his, that I needed to get one. Couldn't afford it at $1300 bucks, and my attitude was, that is a lot of money to pay for a .22, especially a stupid revolver.

He kept telling me I needed one, I kept saying no, but I did shoot his and it was fantastic. He was also going to the Internationals and one day he told me "You either buy a Freedom Arms, or you will compete against them." That finally sunk in, knowing that my Dan Wesson was a 37 gun...I would have to be real lucky to do well with it.

So I searched all over the country and found the last one available (there were only 250 Pre-Production models made). Paid list price, of course, but I got it in June, a month before the big match. All the while I kept muttering to myself that $1300 was way too much money to spend on a .22 revolver. Went to the local range with my swingers to get it sighted in and shoot some groups. Started with my 50-yard pig swinger, just guessed 10 clicks up from the bottom to start and fired the first round of Eley Tenex. I heard the clink, but it was a cloudy day, so I couldn't really see the hit (no spotter, didn't feel like getting up to see) so I just finished off the 5 rounds...all 5 were hits.

Walked downrange to look at the target and couldn't believe my eyes...all five rounds were in a group about a half-inch diameter! I said right there, to no one, "This gun is worth every penny of $1300!"

I still shoot the Dan Wesson for old-times, but the FA was my silhouette revolver forever after that...and it shot many perfect scores over the years.

≡✪≡
Old 04-23-2019, 09:03 PM
saleen322
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
You are very lucky, mine won't come close to my Freedom Arms 252.

And now for the rest of the story...

As mentioned above, my DW Silhouette had to be sent back and they put a new cylinder on it. It was much better, but I still couldn't get it to shoot consistently...I tried every good match quality ammo made overseas that I could get. Best it did was with Eley Tenex, but it just wouldn't group consistently. There would be some flyers in unpredicted directions, uncalled by me. (I am in the International class in all the IHMSA disciplines except for standing, so I didn't question my abilities).

I could clean the chickens and pigs all the time, but by the turkeys, the random flyer would show up...sometimes high, sometimes low...and I would miss a target. Same thing at 100 yards, either a high or low shot, most would stay on the target, but 1 or 2 would get away. I called it my 37 gun...cause that was it's average on the 40-shot course...frustrating. Never did get a 40x40 with it, shot a few 38's and a couple 39's.

The IHMSA Internationals were coming to Oakridge, Tennessee in 1991, about a 4 hour drive for me and I was going to go...my first International competition. That winter, Freedom Arms announced the new 252, and it had rave reviews in the accuracy department. A good friend of mine ordered one (he's also an International class shooter) and he kept telling me, after he had shot his, that I needed to get one. Couldn't afford it at $1300 bucks, and my attitude was, that is a lot of money to pay for a .22, especially a stupid revolver.

He kept telling me I needed one, I kept saying no, but I did shoot his and it was fantastic. He was also going to the Internationals and one day he told me "You either buy a Freedom Arms, or you will compete against them." That finally sunk in, knowing that my Dan Wesson was a 37 gun...I would have to be real lucky to do well with it.

So I searched all over the country and found the last one available (there were only 250 Pre-Production models made). Paid list price, of course, but I got it in June, a month before the big match. All the while I kept muttering to myself that $1300 was way too much money to spend on a .22 revolver. Went to the local range with my swingers to get it sighted in and shoot some groups. Started with my 50-yard pig swinger, just guessed 10 clicks up from the bottom to start and fired the first round of Eley Tenex. I heard the clink, but it was a cloudy day, so I couldn't really see the hit (no spotter, didn't feel like getting up to see) so I just finished off the 5 rounds...all 5 were hits.

Walked downrange to look at the target and couldn't believe my eyes...all five rounds were in a group about a half-inch diameter! I said right there, to no one, "This gun is worth every penny of $1300!"

I still shoot the Dan Wesson for old-times, but the FA was my silhouette revolver forever after that...and it shot many perfect scores over the years.
Pretty much the same story for me. I really like our DW 22 with its 8" barrel. It shoots well BUT it is not a match for our FA 83 Silhouette. The FA will shoot sub MOA groups and that is at least twice as good as the DW. All that said, we have no plans to sell the DW. YMMV
Old 05-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have six DW revo's 2 each of 22, 357, & 44mag, each in blue and stainless steel.

The 44 is basically a late model that's NIB as it just has been fired for function testing, the 744 is early model and every light triggered like it might have been a competition gun with DA of IIRC 7lbs and SA about 2lbs and is very accurate.

I wish I could post pictures but haven't had a picture service for years now, any recommending's?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like Imgur, stay away from Photobucket.

≡✪≡
Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 44's with the snubby barrels.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 44 set with late addition 6" on top. 2.5", 4" 8" and 6" on top.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My favorite plinker in wheel guns.

[IMG][/IMG]

My favorite plinker as of the last year

[IMG][/IMG]

I used to be able to dime sized shots at 25 yards open sight hand rested on sand bagged bench at 25 yards. The smith 22 Victory about 3/8" at 25 yards Win 22 Coated lead HP Suppressor ammo. And I don't need hearing protection. Yes the Millot red dot is an original that's an early to mid '90's purchase.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice Dan Wessons. I really like the snubbies.

≡✪≡
Old 05-11-2019, 10:28 AM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd like to see them all come back. I've always wanted to try one and only recently got my first, a .44Mag with 4" and 6" barrels, to which I've added 8" and 10" barrels. Now I have a .445 on the way.

It was said earlier that DW had two frame sizes, it was actually three. The .22/.32/.357 medium frame, the .41/.44/.45 large frame and the .357/.375/.414/.445 SuperMag stretch frame.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My .357 Magnum DW, 1 of 100.

≡✪≡