Ruger Precision 22 Rimfire - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 AM
SuperBoots

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks! Does yours have extraction issues?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same here, no shelf. I believe your bolt is defective.

Mine dose occasionally have extraction issues, but it's few and far between.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 09:40 PM
Booner1334
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No. I've never had extraction issues. It's looks like they didn't quite finish the lathe work on your bolt. The groove on my bolt, where the extraction spring sits, is a perfect 90 degree fit to the face of the bolt, with no "lip" to hold the spring back from preventing it from having a good grip on the cartridge. Remove that lip, and I would think your extraction would improve. ( File that lip off). Or, a little file work on that extractor spring and remove some metal right where that lip of metal touches the spring. ( If you're going to modify something, always do your modification on the cheapest part). If you modify the spring, it could weaken it so it later breaks at that spot. In any case, call Ruger and get a new extractor spring clip, and/or return the bolt.

Again, I have think your video was outstanding. Some folks have extraction issues, perhaps the same as yours, and your video clearly shows the cause.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 PM
SuperBoots

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you both for the responses, I sent an email to Ruger today explaining the issue and seeing if they can send me a replacement bolt.

I also have a small whetstone showing up in the mail tomorrow which I'm planning on using to see if I can grind that shoulder off myself.

Glad you're liking the video, I'll see if I can make one of the fix as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 PM
charon79m

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoots View Post
Thank you both for the responses, I sent an email to Ruger today explaining the issue and seeing if they can send me a replacement bolt.

I also have a small whetstone showing up in the mail tomorrow which I'm planning on using to see if I can grind that shoulder off myself.

Glad you're liking the video, I'll see if I can make one of the fix as well.
They'll have you send them the whole rifle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 12:29 PM
SuperBoots

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got an update on the extraction / ejection issue.

I removed the little shoulder on my bolt using a dremel and small whetstone, and I was hoping to post a video showing how to do it and the wonderful results. Unfortunately when I got out to shoot it I still had a bunch of malfunctions, in fact they got worse.

Now sometimes it's completely failing to extract the casing from the chamber, I pull the bolt back after firing and the casing is completely seated in the chamber still.

I went home and inspected the bolt, and realized that if it's failing to extract at all then the problem is happening on the other side of the bolt, the spring metal piece on the left side of the bolt where I removed the shoulder is there to hold onto the casing between when it's yanked out of the chamber by the hook and when it hits the ejector at the back of the bolt throw. The metal hook on the right side of the bolt is what really performs the extraction from the chamber, so if there's a complete failure to extract then that hook failed to seat itself on the rim of the casing.

I completely disassembled the bolt and gave it a thorough cleaning and was able to get back out to the range yesterday. I planned to run 200 rounds through the rifle and see what happened. I was pretty happy at first, shooting about 179 rounds with no malfunctions. Then I had one that got pulled out of the chamber but dropped free before it could hit the ejector so it was just sitting behind the chamber blocking the bolt from closing and feeding the next round. The second malfunction was around round 189 and it was the same thing, pulling the casing free of the chamber but dropping it into the feeding area before it could hit the ejector.

A few minutes after my 200 round test I put 10 rounds in the rifle for a little fun before I went home, I had at least 4 complete failures to extract in that one 10 round magazine, the empty casing just sitting in the chamber after I pulled the bolt back and tried to feed the next round (which doesn't work very well with one still in the chamber). I had to pull each one out of the chamber with my fingernail. So it seems that my particular rifle can go about 175 rounds between cleanings.

I wish I had better news, I really wanted to have a solution for other people who are having ejection issues. I'm guessing that the tolerances are just too tight around the extraction hook and as soon as a little powder gunk gets in there it just can't deal with it.

By the way the ammo I'm using is 36gr hollow point CCI mini mags

I was planning on doing an Appleseed with the Ruger Precision Rimfire in just under a month, February 23rd. It seems like the next step is to send the rifle back to Ruger, but I'm worried that I won't have it back in time for the Appleseed. By the way charon79m is completely correct, Ruger told me my only option is to send the entire rifle to them.

tl/dr:
I tried to fix it, it didn't work

Last edited by SuperBoots; 01-26-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: me no word good
Old 01-26-2019, 03:24 PM
samven
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry that things did not work out as planned. In the long run though I think you will be better off because I believe that the spring slot was actually cut too wide and the only reason it worked at all is because they left that little shelf that sometimes held it in the correct position. Most likely when the rounds were being fed from the mag the rims were pushing the spring up onto the shelf, now they are just pushing the spring out of the way so you only get a very small contact. On mine the slot is milled tight enough that the spring actually drags on both sides so I polished it to smooth things out.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 PM
arnie19
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't put my RPR on paper yet but was out today shooting at 200 meters at high power sized silhouette chickens and hit them 10 out of 10 times using Federal auto match ammo .Not getting flyers or any thing weird going on . Those chickens are 2 moa so rifle should hold under an inch at 100 .
Old 04-21-2019, 09:53 AM
AveragEd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two of them and both shoot their best with CCI MiniMag 40-grain ammo. Interestingly, both rifles shot progressively worse as the ammunition muzzle velocity was decreased - they seem to prefer hotter fodder. When my 72 year-old eyes do their part, which cannot be counted upon, they will put five shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards; half-inch groups are easily the norm. I've not tried shooting at longer range yet.

One is for my grandson who was born in December and while I was buying it with the 15-round magazine, I ordered one for myself with the 10-round magazines. Right away, I noticed that my rifle's bolt was very tight and almost hard to close while the one in the grandson's rifle was much looser so I swapped the bolts as they lack partial serial numbers or anything suggesting they are fit to one receiver. Now both rifle's bolts operate smoothly without excessive play. Go figure...

Both are equipped with Leupold scopes. Mine has a discontinued VX-2 target scope in 6-18x with an adjustable 40mm objective and dot reticle while the grandson's has one of the new VX-Freedom Rimfires in 3-9x with a fixed 40mm objective and that scope's rimfire-specific reticle. When doing comparison accuracy testing, I set both scopes on 9x.

Just to make my rifle appear more balanced I had a four-inch barrel extension fabricated. The gunsmith only bored the hole through it at 1/4" so it was very heavy; too heavy for me and it deteriorated the accuracy so I'm having it opened as far as possible without cutting into its threads. We'll see if the accuracy returns when I get it back.

With regard to the poster commenting about weak ejection of fired cases, while shooting both rifles yesterday I noticed that the grandson's drops most cases on the bench right beside the rifle while mine shoots them out with much more authority. I'll have to see if I can find any difference in the extractors or ejectors.

I think they are great rifles, especially for the money. I have to believe that any rifle that isn't accurate could be made so by a gunsmith experienced in working on chassis rifles.

Ed
Old 04-21-2019, 11:54 AM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveragEd View Post
I have two of them and both shoot their best with CCI MiniMag 40-grain ammo. Interestingly, both rifles shot progressively worse as the ammunition muzzle velocity was decreased - they seem to prefer hotter fodder. When my 72 year-old eyes do their part, which cannot be counted upon, they will put five shots into one ragged hole at 50 yards; half-inch groups are easily the norm. I've not tried shooting at longer range yet.

One is for my grandson who was born in December and while I was buying it with the 15-round magazine, I ordered one for myself with the 10-round magazines. Right away, I noticed that my rifle's bolt was very tight and almost hard to close while the one in the grandson's rifle was much looser so I swapped the bolts as they lack partial serial numbers or anything suggesting they are fit to one receiver. Now both rifle's bolts operate smoothly without excessive play. Go figure...

Both are equipped with Leupold scopes. Mine has a discontinued VX-2 target scope in 6-18x with an adjustable 40mm objective and dot reticle while the grandson's has one of the new VX-Freedom Rimfires in 3-9x with a fixed 40mm objective and that scope's rimfire-specific reticle. When doing comparison accuracy testing, I set both scopes on 9x.

Just to make my rifle appear more balanced I had a four-inch barrel extension fabricated. The gunsmith only bored the hole through it at 1/4" so it was very heavy; too heavy for me and it deteriorated the accuracy so I'm having it opened as far as possible without cutting into its threads. We'll see if the accuracy returns when I get it back.

With regard to the poster commenting about weak ejection of fired cases, while shooting both rifles yesterday I noticed that the grandson's drops most cases on the bench right beside the rifle while mine shoots them out with much more authority. I'll have to see if I can find any difference in the extractors or ejectors.

I think they are great rifles, especially for the money. I have to believe that any rifle that isn't accurate could be made so by a gunsmith experienced in working on chassis rifles.

Ed
Probably not the ejector as that is 'only' for ejection without a magazine in the gun.

With a magazine in the gun they eject off of the square tit on the magazine --

Just put a magazine in your gun with an open bolt then look into the ejection port & you should see the magazine ejection square tit blocking the (standing right in front of) the guns ejector.

So maybe try swapping magazines between guns to start with to see if the ejection changes. I actually made my RPRR eject more firmly & consistently by using a stronger spring in the magazine catch as that prevented the magazine from deflecting as the fired case contacted it during ejection.

That is one of the hidden issues with this (& other Ruger .22 guns) as a home gunsmith will work & work on the guns ejector to get the gun to eject on the bench but they still fail to eject at the range as NOW there is a magazine in the gun to intercept the round before it reaches that finely tuned gun's ejector.

Last edited by bren_10; 04-21-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:06 PM
SuperBoots

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got good news for anyone that's been having extraction/ejection issues, I've solved the problem!
After grinding the shoulder off my bolt and still having issues I contacted Ruger and got them to send me a replacement extractor and retaining spring/clip and installing those (after my cutting on the bolt) worked

I've made a video detailing what I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9Itq6kyxM
Old 05-10-2019, 07:06 AM
1bdvet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoots View Post
I've got good news for anyone that's been having extraction/ejection issues, I've solved the problem!
After grinding the shoulder off my bolt and still having issues I contacted Ruger and got them to send me a replacement extractor and retaining spring/clip and installing those (after my cutting on the bolt) worked

I've made a video detailing what I did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9Itq6kyxM
Watched your video, done nicely, and I hear a few people having ejector problems, but I have 17HMR, and have to say with two bricks fired, haven't had a single problem moving the bolt slowly or quickly it ejects every single time.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 AM
robrob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to use a mag loading device to fill 22LR mags but it slightly bent the case and caused a tight chamber fit and failure to eject malfunctions. I now use a Mag Lula to help hand load rounds with no issues.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:09 PM
Riverwolf1
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Big Larry, often times the culprit to poor groups is the ammo itself! I have 5 .22ís And I shoot a lot, not one of them likes Aguila match. My suggestion would be buy 4-5 different brands of ammo 1 box of 50 for each brand should be plenty to determine what the rifle likes.
I would buy a box of Eley 10x and most rifles perform well with it, use it as your baseline to compare other brands of ammo too. Lastly once you find a brand it likes, look for different lot numbers within that brand, you will probably find a particular lot number that it really likes, then buy several bricks of that lot #.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bough a brick of Aguila standard velocity ammo to try and had pretty much written it off as junk. I shot it in four different rifles and two pistols. I had decided it would be plinking ammo for close up only but gave it a try in my RPR. Wow, was I surprised. It does as good as CCC SV. I havenít gone up the ammo quality chain over those two yet but Iím gettin minute of angle or just slightly larger groups from both at 50 yards.

At $24.95 a brick with free shipping from Academy itís very economical to play with. Iím planning on seeing what it will do at 100 and 200 yards now.