Bald Eagle or Sinclair Heavy Varmit, and...go! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 AM
SourMash77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bald Eagle or Sinclair Heavy Varmit, and...go!

I have zero experience with using a dedicated rest. I always just used whatever I had, bags, jacket or whatever. I'm going to buy one of these models mentioned but which do you guys prefer?. This will only be used for here at my house, possibly to join your monthly competitions.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:43 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Have you read up on the Bald Eagle 'tune-up'? You dont have to do the whole deal but you should go through it to make sure it is set up properly. All in all it is no big thing to do unless you go the whole hog.
Given your stated criteria you might want to include the Cowan rest and the Greenlaw top for about any base too.
And think about if you want the triangular or slingshot base, cast iron or alum.
Then you might as well be thinking about a proper rear and front bag for your intended rifle(s). If you have multiples you may need several front bags to fit the forearms.
About a year ago I was kinda in the same boat and did find a lot of good info on this site here already. Then I started watching the Trading Post here and got some very nice stuff from guys upgrading to a level of gear I will never go to thus their upgrade was my gain (Thanx Guys! .
Old 05-04-2019, 01:35 PM
stewbud

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Caldwell and Greenlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Given your stated criteria you might want to include the Cowan rest and the Greenlaw top for about any base too.
I also like to keep costs in line and agree with your Greenlaw top recommendation.

I put a Greelaw top on my Caldwell BR base (drilled to 1/2-20 for Sinclair feet) and am very happy with it. It is currently not the limiting factor in my shooting setup, and I have little into it.

The excellent Dan Greenlaw product popped right into where the Caldwell top popped out. I did none of the Caldwell BR top 'fixes' - I just got the Greenlaw adjustable top.

I used the extra money that I saved to get better ammo to practice with.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:23 PM
hawkeye62
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourMash77 View Post
I have zero experience with using a dedicated rest. I always just used whatever I had, bags, jacket or whatever. I'm going to buy one of these models mentioned but which do you guys prefer?. This will only be used for here at my house, possibly to join your monthly competitions.
I have used both the Bald Eagle (Triangle and Sling Shot) and the Sinclair. The Bald Eagle, with all of the mods, is an OK front rest. The aluminum model is fairly light and easy to carry. The cast iron model is much heavier. The Sinclair is a cast iron triangle and fairly heavy. It weighs 18.5 pounds with an Edgewood bag. It weighs 19.3 pounds with the Greenlaw top and Edgewood bag. The Sinclair is much better quality than the Bald Eagle. (JMO)

Good luck with your decision.
Regards, Jim
Old 05-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SourMash.

In same boat as yourself, donít own one but hopefully this year sometime Iíll get a proper dedicated (mechanical) front rest.

Have borrowed and used a few myself and Gcrankís advice is spot on, Bald Eagle and Cowan rests are great, better with some slight tweaking.

Not biased or anything but leaning towards a second-hand Cicognani myself; here in the EU lots of shooters are using them so they can be got second-hand, they hold their prices though and are still expensive.

Lots of US distributors will not internationally ship and with postage/shipping/excise duties, it all adds up for us across the big pond.

If you can pick up one of the better restís second-hand for nice money, grab it.

Just my tuppence worth.

Giz
Old 05-04-2019, 06:16 PM
esk808
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
SourMash.

In same boat as yourself, donít own one but hopefully this year sometime Iíll get a proper dedicated (mechanical) front rest.

Have borrowed and used a few myself and Gcrankís advice is spot on, Bald Eagle and Cowan rests are great, better with some slight tweaking.

Not biased or anything but leaning towards a second-hand Cicognani myself; here in the EU lots of shooters are using them so they can be got second-hand, they hold their prices though and are still expensive.

Lots of US distributors will not internationally ship and with postage/shipping/excise duties, it all adds up for us across the big pond.

If you can pick up one of the better restís second-hand for nice money, grab it.

Just my tuppence worth.

Giz

The Cicognani rests look high-quality, although I've never seen one here in Hawaii. Looks like variations of Sinclair rests and one made by Magnum Metal Rests....

A used SEB or JJ Industries/John Loh rest might be worth your consideration also.
A SEB is one of the standard rests on the high-end. JJ Industries/John Loh rests are so well-built... high-quality.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 PM
bthg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was in same situation last July and finally went with the Sinclair with windage after way too much analysis and overthinking... I only plan to do online matches on RFC but wanted a decent rest and wanted it turn-key so to speak. Had some serious bad luck and several issues have come up that prevented me from shooting off it but hope that streak ends this month. Here is link to the topic I started last July. Similar replies to what youíve got here so far. Best of luck in your decision!

Upgrade my rest or too soon?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-04-2019, 08:03 PM
doclu60
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Even if your intended purpose for the rest elevates to something higher, Sinclair would be the choice. Heavy Varmint with windage. I have not owned one, but a very good friend of mine does and it preforms very well for him. I do own a Sinclair Comp BR which now has a Greenlaw adjustable top on it.

Point here is this, DON'T buy a rest that has stickies and countless threads about tuning them up and fixing issues on a brand new rest. Kinda like buying a car with three wheels that just needs 'a little more' to work right. Why buy something brand new that needs fixing right from the start to be good, or perhaps not quite as bad as the next level?

Another point, if you end up not liking RFBR, I guarantee you the Sinclair will retain way more resale value then your other choice. Buy once, cry once.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:16 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
All you have to do woth the Bald Eagle is to take the sag out of the windage cable, by a zip tie or a block or brick of ammo as long as it is even with no sag. Try it, you'll like it
Old 05-05-2019, 07:33 AM
SourMash77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. I'm not rich or anything but I don't mind "crying once" if it is worth it. I didn't realize there were so many mods on the cheaper rests, Honestly, I didn't know there were SO many rests out there!! I was already leaning towards the Sinclair anyways. Again, Thank you all very much
Old 05-07-2019, 09:34 PM
03hdfatboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Bald Eagle or Sinclair Heavy Varmit, and...go!

If you put your bench rifle on a Bald Eagle and Sinclair and/or Greenlaw top, do they all shoot the same group and/or accuracy? In other words, is the Sinclair more accurate because itís a better quality set up?

Last edited by 03hdfatboy; 05-07-2019 at 09:37 PM.