Victory’s maiden voyage - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Appalachained

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victory’s maiden voyage

Hi all. This is my first visit to the S&W portion of RFC. I usually visit the CZ section.
Anyway I recently bought a S&W Victory. I just got back from the Sportsmen’s Club (BGSL in central KY.) I started the day early this morning and am just getting home after putting 873 rounds through the Victory, yes 873. This is the most rounds I ever fired in a day by far. I was just having so much fun shooting this little gem. I shot a 333 round box of Winchester 36gr. Brass plated HP’s, a 325 round box of Federal Automatch 40gr. Solid’s, 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags, 100 rounds of Blazer, and roughly 15 rounds of Federal 36gr. Brass plated HP’s.

After sighting it in I spent a few hours shooting the plate rack and paper targets. With the low recoil I was smoking the plate rack. I didn’t bring a timer as I don’t have a holster for it anyway, but I’m sure it’s the fastest I’ve ever cleared a rack. I just couldn’t stop. I was even setting up rows of used shotgun hills and picking them off at 12 yards. I almost couldn’t miss, which is why I shot it so much today.

So Inpacked it up and stopped by the Gp range to sign out when I seen all the steel plate trees and little steel animals and decided to shoot some more. After I emptied the last big box of Ammo I thought I would shoot a couple mags of the brass plated stuff (Federal “Black” 36gr brass plated HP’s) to push some lead out of the barrel so It would be easier to clean. Before this the only bobbles I had all day were two light strikes with the Winchester Ammo. The cases had a deep imprint like the other spent cases I found on the ground so i chalked them up to bad primer in the rounds.

On the second mag I had a dead trigger. I tried to pull the “slide” back, but it was jammed. I ended up removing the take down screw, then the recoil spring. I still couldn’t get the slide to go back. So i removed the barrel. After this the slide assembly came out. Ther was a round stuck in the barrel so hard I couldn’t pry it out with a knife so one of the RO’s gave me a wooden dowel and I pounded it out.

At this point I was tired and other shooters showed up so i just reassembled the gun and packed up. I wished I had stayed and tried some other Ammo, but I was out except for the remaining Federal Black. So I just got home and disassembled the gun. I kept the round that jammed. I tried another round of some unknown Ammo that I was given a bag full of just because it was near and it slid easily into the chamber. I tried the bad round and it wouldn’t even go halfway into the chamber.

So i am hoping this is just a bad round and it appears it was. The fact that the trigger went dead concerns me though. Now I’ll go all week until next Monday (my day off) without knowing if the gun still functions.

I wish this sight would let me post pictures of the before and after of the full then empty boxes of ammo and just how dirty this pistol is right now. I’ve tried upgrading to a Copper membership, but the PayPal link never works and I don’t see another option for paying with a CC. The fact that I can’t post pics is the main reason i don’t frequent this sight anymore, but I knew if there was any good advice and knowledge of like experiences with this gun this was the place to get it.

Anyway if all is well, this pistol is one bad Mamy Jamy. I have never shot a pistol this well, this fast or this fun.

Last edited by Appalachained; 03-25-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:42 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I understand your scenario correctly and the round would not go completely into the chamber, the disconnector would prevent the pistol from firing. With ammo that will go completely into the chamber, your pistol should function normally.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Appalachained

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
If I understand your scenario correctly and the round would not go completely into the chamber, the disconnector would prevent the pistol from firing. With ammo that will go completely into the chamber, your pistol should function normally.
No. The round was all the way into the chamber, stuck. It was in there so far I couldn’t get a knife blade behind it to pry it out.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 PM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you tried dry firing with a snap cap?
Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Appalachained

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNH View Post
Have you tried dry firing with a snap cap?
No, I don’t have a 22lr snap cap and I hear it’s not good to dry fire these things. I wonder if dry firing it once, empty would hurt anything?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No, I don't think dry-firing once or twice would severely damage the Victory. I have dry-fired mine a couple of times and no damage. I have also seen you-tube videos of someone installing a Tandemkross trigger and dry-firing their pistol quite a few times. Not something I would do routinely, but a time or two shouldn't be the problem.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Appalachained

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
No, I don't think dry-firing once or twice would severely damage the Victory. I have dry-fired mine a couple of times and no damage. I have also seen you-tube videos of someone installing a Tandemkross trigger and dry-firing their pistol quite a few times. Not something I would do routinely, but a time or two shouldn't be the problem.
So I cleaned it up real good, reassembled it and inserted a mag and attempted to dry fire it ( after reading your suggestion) and I had a dead trigger. Then I realized the safety was on. lol.It did dry fire. All is well. I won’t fire any more of the Federal “Black Pack” Ammo which sucks because I have 1600 rounds of it. When I had it apart I tried the plunk test with the rest of the Ammo in the mag and it wouldn’t drop all the way into the chamber so it’s definitly the Ammo that is the problem.

Thanks guys for the replies.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear this. Now you can get back to enjoying shooting your Victory!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:52 AM
sammalone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachained View Post
So I cleaned it up real good, reassembled it and inserted a mag and attempted to dry fire it ( after reading your suggestion) and I had a dead trigger. Then I realized the safety was on. lol.It did dry fire. All is well. I won’t fire any more of the Federal “Black Pack” Ammo which sucks because I have 1600 rounds of it. When I had it apart I tried the plunk test with the rest of the Ammo in the mag and it wouldn’t drop all the way into the chamber so it’s definitly the Ammo that is the problem.

Thanks guys for the replies.
I would not suspect the ammo... all I shoot thru my Victory is the Federal Black pack ammo. I like it as the copper plating keeps the barrel very clean... I ran a patch thru mine after about 400 rnds and it came out almost clean. Did you try the test with just the Federal, or some other brands as well? It might be that you have some buildup in the chamber that is preventing the round from fully seating.

The safety is the one thing that annoys me with my Victory... I've had mine almost a year and every once in a while I will hit it with my thumb. Oh well, only one complaint is not too bad I think.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM
Bigmaico
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachained View Post
No, I don’t have a 22lr snap cap and I hear it’s not good to dry fire these things. I wonder if dry firing it once, empty would hurt anything?
You can go to the local hardware store & buy a package of Yellow #4 drywall screws ANCHORS ( whoops fogot to say ancores) will work for snap caps

Mine will feed from the magazine & eject just like a real 22 shell.

Last edited by Bigmaico; 04-13-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmaico View Post
You can go to the local hardware store & buy a package of Yellow #4 drywall screws that will work for snap caps.

I think you mean plastic drywall anchors. Screws are harder than Hades......
Old 04-28-2019, 11:21 AM
Bad_Hombre

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmaico View Post
You can go to the local hardware store & buy a package of Yellow #4 drywall screws ANCHORS ( whoops fogot to say ancores) will work for snap caps

Thanks for the tip! Question: #4-8 x 7/8 in. or #4-6 x 7/8 in. ?
Old 06-05-2019, 05:45 AM
nfmMike
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good report - having just acquired a two year old Victory myself, I am crawling through forums seeing what folks are shooting and the results. Looking forward to taking mine ot SOMEWHERE to shoot it!
Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Bigmaico
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Hombre View Post
Thanks for the tip! Question: #4-8 x 7/8 in. or #4-6 x 7/8 in. ?
If I remember right they are #4-6’s
Old 06-06-2019, 10:45 PM
az224
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mine is super accurate

Mine is super accurate . . . but I had to have the barrel replaced by S&W, and now the pistol is super accurate . . . with a 4X scope and a solid rest and good standard velocity ammo it'll put it's shots into a dime at 25 yards. I did upgrade the trigger with the Tandemkross trigger kit and I also replaced the day-glow front sight with a solid black one. Also replaced the grips with the Tandemkross grips. One of my favorite handguns. Unbelievably easy to shoot, truly a poor mans model 41.