Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cleaning that MAGNUM barrel ?

4K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  Quickdraw 
#1 ·
Chief wonders:
How many shooters , consider their 22 magnum as more
in the centerfire bracket than the 22 cal. rimfire.

The 22 magnum uses a jacketed bullet.
The 22 LR does not.

The center fire .224 dia bullets are jacketed.

All this leads up to "use a rod and brush" to clean or NOT?

NOTE: If the bore "rifling" is strong enough to support a
jacketed projectile, Is it not strong enough to clean it
like a centerfire.

I put it to a poll = lets hear your opinion.
CHIEFDAVE.

#28 ·
I use mainly Winchester Supremes and CCI TNTs in my Volquartsen .22WMR, without a hitch.

Right after I got it from AppleGate Sports, I shot 120 rounds of Supremes through it without a problem. I ran my BoreSnake through it after that and still haven't had a problem.

I hope I don't ever have that problem! I'd hate to only be able to shoot 50 rounds and then have to clean it..... :(

A .243 brush.....Hmmm....

I'm too scared to let my Volquartsen even see a brush from afar!!!

#29 ·
I think the most I've ever shot, before cleaning, was about 75rnds.

The chamber got a little "tight" but never caused any actual problems.

Maybe one of these days I'll try to see how many rounds I can go thru before something happens.

#30 ·
My 10/22 Magnum has a problem with a dirty chamber. I have to clean every 50-60 rounds or I start having problems. I had extraction problems until I installed an aftermarket extractor, but with the Volquartsen extractor it will pull the cases from the dirty chamber, but will not always feed a new one completely into the chamber.

#31 ·
Awright! Another new "Maggit"!

Crowkiller,

Welcome!

Is your Ruger Magnum still all "factory"?

Which one do ya have....one extractor or two extractor, version?

My Ruger has a Volquartsen SS "Match" barrel on it, so, I do the same cleaning routine on both.

#32 ·
Thanks for the welcome!
There is a two extractor version? I have been lurking here a while but obviously not enough! Mine is all factory, first year production, save the Volquartsen extractor. I sent the trigger group off today to Clark for a trigger job. Otherwise, I love it. I just run a bore snake through every 100 rounds and clean the chamber every 50. I take the whole thing down periodically as well. If I do not clean the chamber every 50 I start getting failures to fire.
When I get bored with it like it is I will trick it out.

#33 ·
Wipe Out!

That's right, Wipe Out! This product is awesome for cleaning the worst copper & carbon fouled barrels out there and I believe it will soften lead fouling for easy removal. I first read about this product on BenchRest.com. This cleaner would definitely speed up anyone's cleaning process and eliminates the need for brushes period.

Ok, I don't currently own a 10/22mag (a yet-to-be-maggit), but I cleaned a badly copper & carbon residue fouled barrel of an older Rem 700 .30-06 I just traded into. Easiest stuff in the world to use and no scrubbing with JB Paste, preceded and followed by Shooter's Choice or Butch's and Kroil. And no brushes (I always used JB Paste on a bore mop instead of brushes).

Just squirt a 2 count of the expanding foam into the barrel and let it sit overnight. Run two patches through the next morning and repeat until you get no color of any kind. That's it! No brushes, no JB Paste, no scrubbing, no 10,000 patches. Took a week of the rifle sitting in the locked reloading room on a cradle with the bolt removed, but I spent less than 10 minutes total time on the cleaning!

I am on duty at Fire Rescue and don't have access to my bookmarks with Wipe Out info, but if anyone is interested, just email me at: cetyson@bellsouth.net and I'll forward the link to you.

Clay

#34 ·
Yeah! One or two extractors!

Crowkiller,

Ruger took the Magnum off the market, for awhile, because of jamming problems.

Their "cure" was the addition of another extractor and fluting the chamber.

I got mine in '99, the first year, also.

The "improved" Magnum was totally unnecesary!

The Volq. extractor and a Dakotan buffer was all that was needed.

Clay,

I've heard good things about that stuff.

I've never tried it. With the frequency of my cleaning....I'm happy with my Hoppe's #9 "Semi-Auto".

#36 ·
Dakotan Bolt Buffer

"Don't let your 10/22 leave home without one!"

;)

WeaponKraft is one of our Sponsors. You can get the link on our Home Page.

It replaces the steel "bolt stop pin" in the receiver.

"Weed-Wacker" line "pull-thru" cleaning system......

Is a "home made" item. :t

All ya need is a length of that thick weed-wacker line and a heat source, to make one.

At one end, ya heat (don't burn) the tip, so it gets soft, than press it against a cold hard surface to make a "ball".

The other end is cut at an angle to make a "spear" tip.

Spear a patch in it's center, pull it down to the ball and ya got a "pull-thru"! (I use "over-sized" .30cal patches.)

It might take a few tries to get the "ball" the right size, so ya get a nice snug fit with the patch on it.

That's a subject that doesn't come up, too often, anymore. So, I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it.

#42 ·
Chief says : WIPE-OUT - The best there is .I have endorsed
it for years ( kept it a secret fer years too) . you cant buy
a better product for bore cleaning.

made by PAUL Co. Payola , Kansas

ph 785 - 883-4444 fx 785 - 883 2525

e-mail borecleanr@aol.com

The ultimate brushless bore cleaner ever made.

TRY IT = if you dont agree , Ill buy it from you.
CD.

#43 ·
.22 mag

hello--

As a new owner of a Cooper Arms .22 mag, I'm interested in this business of cleaning. Yes, the .22 mag is jacketed, like a centerfire, but the velocity IS SO MUCH LESS than even a Hornet that I wonder how much copper really gets left behind. I've been just using Hoppes #9, which, though it isn't much of a copper remover, will show telltale blue or green stains--haven't seen any, which makes me think that no copper is if fact adhering to the bore.

Thoughts?

Best,
Bill A.

#44 ·
ROD.. ROD... BRUSH.. ROD... BRUSH....

Ok, I understand that you wouln't want to run a rod and brush down a $300 match grade barrel, BUT what about a factory hammer forged mass produced tent stake? My first 10/22 Mag I used a brass bush on a carbonfiber rod and cleaned the barrel every 5 rounds for 50 rounds to break it in. It took another 100 rounds untill it would shoot ok( 1" to 1 1/4" at 50 yards). I got a new 10/22 Mag barrel for my 96 and for the heck of it I broke it in using only patches and #9. Well, it took 300 rounds untill it would shoot ok. The first barrel that shoot 1" groups on the 10/22 Mag shot 1/2" groups on the 96. The new 10/22 Mag barrel(with fluted chamber) is now matching the old one. So, I guess ether way I ended up with the same result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.