Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

27 rounds of HMR was all it could take.

4K views 52 replies 12 participants last post by  SwampF0X 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of my converted .22 lr. Hopefully it will show. Sometimes it is the little red X.

Looks like a factory 10/22, no? It has a Chief Dave type 2 style of conversion. To this I added a factory .22 mag barrel, but all other components were still lr. After shooting 100 rounds of mag ammo through it with no stovepipes, FTF, feeding problems, or case head bulging, I felt that the conversion was a success. So it was time to try a hummer. After reading the instructions from Brownells, I thought I would try to line a lr barrel. This was an adventure in itself. If anyone's interested I can post a write up, but it will be long. The main problem in making the barrel was reamer chatter. That means that I wound up with a rough camber. After finishing the barrel, I fired 9 rounds of CCI hollow points to be sure that it would function. It worked with a little case head bulging so I ordered a .22 mag handle and spring for it. I installed the base/scope and thought that I would rough sight the scope in so when at the range the hits would at least be on the paper. Since the CCI seemed to work ok with the lr handle I didn't think that a few rounds would hurt anything. I picked up some Federal V-Max just to try some different rounds through the rifle. It shot the first magazine fine. On round number 24 the bolt didn't close completely. The reason was round 23 had taken the extractor out and the spring/plunger was holding the bolt open. I think that it jarred the extractor out as the case was dented very badly but was not ruptured, it sounded the same as the others, and the bullet impact was in the same area. I just removed the spring/plunger and was going to finish the rest of the magazine. After the last round when I moved my hand I felt something with my thumb and looked down to see this.

It looks like the buffer pushed on the stock hard enough to break it. At this point I thought it was a good time to stop. At home I stripped the rifle and checked the receiver for damage or cracks. The receiver appears to be ok, but I found these marks on the trigger assembly.

These were not there when shooting with the .22 mag ammo. It seems that the bolt is really bouncing around in the receiver with the HMR. Will the mag handle and spring stop this or is there something else going on?

Here is a pic of the fired rounds.

L to R: .22 mag, .17 CCI, .17 Fed, and #23

Reversed in the next pic

Here's a pic of the .22 mag beside the "Factory" .17 barrel.

What an adventure this little project has been.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.