Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

So, who's tried the chief's conversion?

10K views 126 replies 15 participants last post by  p7junkie 
#1 ·
I know of two people that have tried the conversion with success. both of them took a slightly different approach to the same problem. finding the space for the magazine.
I'm starting mine this week and wanted to talk with those of you have have at least tried this.
here is what I am planning to do. I plan on shortening the trigger housing and not add holes to the reciever or the trigger housing.
the hard part is the plunger has to go back farther. the first part of limiting this is the magazine release. it's to wide to allow the plunger to be drawn back far enough. if you shave it down you can get a couple more mm.
but it's will stop after that becuase the mag release and plunger will start to bind. that angle can be changed pretty easily as well but is it enough?

#78 ·
Hey Boomer

Take a better peek at this Magnum section, you'll find the basics of what you are lookin' for, then absorb that, and start askin' questions, or PM me. The extractor CD talked about is the second extractor on the newer Magnums, it's all smoke and mirrors....The EJECTOR also gets tossed, it's the Magazine that performs that function, and the gun will/can operate properly without it. :t

#79 ·
most people toss the ejector and let the magazine do the work. I'm going to try and keep mine but it will have to be modified. I don't know if it will make any difference or not. I'm trying to keep the extractor as well. mine is trial and error like everyone else here. alot of people have finished their conversion. mine is not complete at this time. and it looks like it will be at least another two weeks. the tools I got in were the wrong ones. gotta send em back and get the right ones...

#82 · (Edited)
the only reason i cut the barrel down was to get to the mystical optimum length of 16.5 and to recrown - but theres no reason i couldnt port with the front site on....let me know...gunter i cant give away all my secrets at once ...ha ...it was done on the mill with high speed bits and a wooden dowel was inserted into the bore to keep things nice.....

#84 · (Edited)
skeeter27red,
Now I remember CD saying the magazine had an ejector, also he posted a picture showing two trigger guard units, one is modified and the other is factory. The modified one looks almost like the front was removed and the sides milled back and the front re-installed. It also looks like the face of that front piece may have also been milled.

This is the type 2 or newer conversion. How far off base am I on the trigger guard?

#86 ·
That is one way

you can section the guard, just like you would a custom Hot Rod, but be aware of the nighmares that can happen with cast aluminum, you have to have somebody familiar with how to get them back together without making a puddle out of it. There is also a "Set back" conversion, where the guard is moved back about 3/8", the exact difference between a lr, and a Magnum magazine, that is the path I took, no regrets, that was CD'd first version, before he went to shortening the guard itself. :t Look in this section, and you will find hours of reading material on how this task can be performed. :t HOURS.

#87 ·
i dont know if there would be enough material left to just take down the front of the tg 3/8-i only shaved alittle off to make the mag fit better-happy b-day junkie......hope you get the good toys for your b-day....i always get socks and underwear :(

#90 ·
I don't know if I need an extra plunger yet. but I'll sure keep you in mind. thanks!!
I started working on the bolt today. I'm getting ahead of myself expecting a problem with the cycling. I should have check with swampfox to see if he has had any problems with his version.
Dang that bolt is tough!!! I drilled a couple of 5/16 holes in the bolt and then tapped them out to 3/8. I had to get a cheater bar on the tap once I got the tap about half way in. I was afraid I was going to break the tap off even though I was trying to be careful. I don't think I'm going to be able to get as much extra eight as I expected. it's going to take some time. after I add the weight I'll stop until I get the last little bit of the trigger assembly finished.
I knew I should be taking this in steps. I'm dancing around all over the place now.
I was told that the .22lr bolt was around 8 ounces. I checked mine and it was a little over six. the scales could be wrong but I don't think so. the bolt should be weighing around 9 ounces with the added tungsten. Ill check it at nine before I do any more. I might be able to get 3or four more ounces in but it's gonna a chore.

#91 ·
I really haven't shot it enough to tell ya much bro. Sometimes the trigger doesn't reset. But it's dirty and has a clickster spring and a radioused bolt at this time. I intend to use a new factory lr bolt, headspaced to fit the magnum, no rear radious. I also intend to use the recoil spring and bolt handle from a 10/22 mag. If I have any problems after that, I intend to just beef up the bolt handle with some heavy epoxy.
It should look like one of vq's with the big black ball for a handle. Looks a bit funny at first but you get used to it. I've got an MOA with one of these VQ bolts. The look grows on you.

swampf0x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.