Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

best 22 mag rifle?

115K views 71 replies 56 participants last post by  Tripplebeards 
#1 ·
I find my cabinet full of 22 mag ammo and nothing to shoot it with. Would like to buy a rifle chambered for it. Any suggestions?

#63 · (Edited)
My story was somewhat similar. I first got a Browning T-bolt Sporter in 22 Mag, and after shooting it, thought, hmm, this round is a lot of fun. So I started accumulating more 22 Mag ammo. After a while, I thought that maybe another 22 Mag rifle would be nice ... and before I knew it, I had a Winchester 9422M, CZ 512, and CZ 455 Varmint (for which I've separately purchased the 22 WMR barrel).

As per the question in your original post, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above. It depends what type of action you like to shoot, and if you want something light enough, nimble enough to carry in the field, or want to do accuracy training within the confines of a range.

As per the Ruger American Rimfire Predator, I found myself hanging out at RFC more with the 22 Mag acquisitions (and a parallel interest in pump 22 LRs), and when you all started talking about the RAR Predator deal at Whittaker's, it was too easy. Given the price point, I'm pretty excited. It's a rifle that shoulders fast and securely with a flush fitting, exchangeable magazine that holds 9 rounds. It's also easy to work on. Can't wait to shoot it.
I just got that same one from Whittaker. Haven't shot it yet. My stock contacts the right hand side of the barrel. I won't worry about it unless it creates some problems.
Thank you. Have been following some of your posts on it most likely. [emoji106]
Against my better judgment, I will chip in on this pirate thread. I do have a RAR in .22 WMR. It now resides in a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock. IMO, a much better looking stock. Waltz with the Boyds configurator https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/ Use the Build & Price feature.
Another enabler. [emoji6] Pics? [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#65 ·
Best .22 Magnum rifle for what purpose?

I have 14 rifles chambered in .22 Magnum, plus 3 Savage 24 combination guns, and 6 revolvers.

I like them all, but each has a niche.

The .22 Magnum rifle that I shoot the most is a Remington 597, the light/sporter contour style with the green laminated stock. This is my favorite tight cover predator calling rifle because is allows for instantaneous follow up shots if necessary and the 33 grain plastic tipped bullets typically don't do a lot of pelt damage while killing quickly. I find the follow up shot advantage to be comforting when at close quarters with a bobcat that won't accept that he is already dead on his feet.

The .22 Magnum rifle that I carry most often is a Savage 24 in .22M over .410, as it is, for me, a great woods loafing rifle. If I just want to plink at black walnuts or other forest floor debris, I have the option of shooting .22 LR ammo with MCACE adapters. This gun currently has a Simmons WTC 1.5-5X20 installed via Warne QR rings and B-Square 3/8" groove to Weaver style adapters to that I can remove the scope and use the open sights as required.

The worst .22 Magnum rifle that I have is a Kodiak 260. Unreliable doesn't begin to accurately describe how unreliable it is, it is that bad.

#67 ·
917M2Sfan
"The .22 Magnum rifle that I carry most often is a Savage 24 in .22M over .410, as it is, for me, a great woods loafing rifle. If I just want to plink at black walnuts or other forest floor debris, I have the option of shooting .22 LR ammo with MCACE adapters. This gun currently has a Simmons WTC 1.5-5X20 installed via Warne QR rings and B-Square 3/8" groove to Weaver style adapters to that I can remove the scope and use the open sights as required.'
How do the MCACE adapters work for you? I have been making adapters from spent 22 WMR cases and they pretty much have to be pried out of my H&R single. I put Williams fiber optic sights on my 24C 22lr/20 gauge and really like them. Just does not look right with a scope.

#70 ·
Took my brand new RAR .22WMR Ruger to the range today for it's 1st trip, also took my Savage A-22WMR Semi-Auto to sight in a new Nikon for it, replacing the lesser Vortex.

Anyway, the RAR shot fine, but it would not touch the Savage in accuracy. 3 different ammunition's tried in both guns, CCI, Federal, and Winchester. The RAR shot the best groups with Federal 50gr, the Savage shot the best groups with CCI.

The Savage has somewhere around 700+ rounds through it, the more I shoot it the smaller the groups get. My last 10 shot magazine with the Savage was one solid <dime sized hole at 50 yards. I hope the RAR gets that way!.....

I'm not too crazy about the springy "thunk" the RAR makes when the sear is broken.

DR

#72 · (Edited)
My RAR shot a .3" group at a 100 yards the first try with hornady vmax and just a hair under .7" with Winchester ballistic tips. Paid $199 NIB right after Christmas at cabelas for it. Doubt any other 22 wmr is going to shoot much better. Bought a pmr30 a little over a month or so ago. It jammed every shot and wouldn't feed rounds into the chamber without jamming. Just got it back two days ago and we will find out if kel tec fixed it. They said the feed ramp was polished...told them that wasn't the issue being I polished smooth as glass myself. They told me they also polished the breech...the breech was smooth as glass as per my inspection before I sent under way...so that was not the issue. I was told both mags were replaced. I know the mags were not feeding and binding so I would assume it was a mag issue or it's still not fixed. Guess I'll find out when I try it next weekend. The sights are right on and I shot some quick .25 cent size groups at 10 yards right in the Bulls eye with some quick hasty shots and I wasn't taking time to aim so I was impressed with accuracy. I can say it will be the first and last kel-tec I ever own. Cheap junk...all plastic. I bet it didn't cost $3.00 worth of plastic and steel to make it.

I'm on the fence right now between the cz512 American and MR carbon hogue. I want to shoot 30g vmax ammo and magnum research doesent recommend it. I have read that it shots fine and tight groups in some of them. I'd buy the CZ 512 but no one makes an aftermarket trigger for them and I want mine to break at or under 2lbs. No one seems to be doing trigger jobs on them either. I can buy after market 10/22 triggers all day long for the MR and can find the rifle all over the net for around $650 vs $500 for the CZ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.