Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

best 22 mag rifle?

115K views 71 replies 56 participants last post by  Tripplebeards 
#1 ·
I find my cabinet full of 22 mag ammo and nothing to shoot it with. Would like to buy a rifle chambered for it. Any suggestions?

#34 ·
The 77/22 mags looks great IMHO.

IMHO I have two choices..........a RAR shorty (if I can find a decent aftermarket stock- so far I haven't liked any) or................look for an old Savage/Anschutz 141M.

I went to buy one at a gunshow a few yrs back, guy ahead of me handling it (was then that I saw what it was). If he put it down it was mine.................of course the only thing he put down was the cash.

Have had a few 9422M, all pre USRA. Nice rigs.......but the sights suck, and they only shoot good (nothing fantastic)..........and scopes on them ruin the looks (I need a scope nowadays).

I'd like to pop a nice red fox, and a grey.............think .22 mag rifle ideal.
Plus I'd plink chucks with it. Sometimes I just don't want to drag around a .243 win.

#38 ·
CZ 512 American has better wood & minor improvements over the other 512 model - Very reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. :)

CZ 455 Varmint, American, Lux, or Training models - Typical CZ quality & reliability. :)

Magnum Research MLR22WMBW - Black Walnut Stock & 19" Carbon Fiber Barrel - The Magnum Research is the most expensive and you will probably have to do some trigger work as well since it's a standard Ruger 10/22 trigger. :mad: :eek: :(

I have all three and like them all - I acquired the higher $ MR in a trade dumping a couple Savage 93xxx models that couldn't shoot through a 5 round mag without problems. ( Sorry just my experience with Savage rimfires).

Used to have a T/C Contender with a 10" 22 WMR that was very accurate as well.

I would lead with the CZ 455 (models) or 512 American depending on the requirements.

#39 ·
I have more 22mags than any thing else...which include Ruger 96/22 mag, Marlin 883, 983, 983 SS, XT22msvr, CZ 452 in lux, full stock and 2 Americans and a Savage Classic 93.

So my suggestion would be either a Marlin or CZ in a Lux or Full Stock. But any thing you like will work...even a Browning T bolt or a Savage BRJ are on my to buy list.

Good luck on your quest. :bthumb:

Signalman :mad::):D

#41 ·
Well you sure got a LOT of opinions and all were good ones.
I have a Marlin bolt action that has laid to rest a bunch of ground hogs.
The caliber is a bit much for tree rats so head shots only or full metal jacket
ammo.
Ought to make a fine fox getter with h.p. ammo I'd think.
Let us know what you get please.

#43 ·
Wow, I had to read the entire post waiting on someone to suggest the T-Bolt and finally Signalman came through for me -- I will admit they are a couple hundred dollars higher than say the CZ's but mine definitely has the fit and finish and the accuracy that it should have for the cost. Needed just a little trigger work but it was fun and easy to work on. It shoots as well as my CZ's ---

I've just had good luck with the Brownings ----

#44 ·
I've got a Marlin 25MN from the early 90's that shoots 1" at 100 yrs with decent ammo. I also have a Savage 93BV bull barrel that shoots nice as well - 3 mags and no issues. Both very reasonable price.

The Marlin is nice and light - easy carry all day. The Savage is more of a Varmit style rifle with a heavy bull barrel. 3-9 Simmons scope on the Marlin and a 3.5-14 Nikon on the Savage work well.

#45 ·
Aliens

I am disappointed that suggestions for all these ineligible guns are even mentioned in the 10/22 Magnum section. Clearly, this question posted in this section of RFC could only have been accurately answered with one response.

Duh! 10/22 MAGNUM! :)

#48 ·
My RUGER 96/22 mag LEVER GUN

I love my Ruger 96/22 mag. I put a Green Mountain octagonal barrel on it. But I had to get the .22 LR barrel B/C the octagnal .22 WMR barrel from G.M. was too long for the 96/22. I had a local gunsmith re-chamber it to .22 WMR. Shoots better than the original Ruger barrel by 1/4 MOA.

I am in the process of making a Schnabel shape fore end cap where I cut the stock off just behind the barrel band area. This will also be done to the 96/22's Big Brother, a .308 Savage 99 C. I got a laminated Boyd's two-piece stock for it.

It ain't my rifle 'til I customize it to my likes.

Eric B.

#49 ·
I have the CZ453 and 453 and love them in a bolt. For running jack rabbits the hk300 has been my gun along with a 10/22 mag with a lite barrel.
I just got the Kel Tech CMR 30 and lovevit! I shoot it suppressed , love the trigger and have been very impressed with accuracy. Very cool gun.

#50 ·
+1d Roadrat

I agree with Roadrat, there isn't a "best" 22 magnum but there are many great choices that really depend on what you plan for that rifle. If butchering, gator hunting, backpacking or shooting varmints up close, a 16" light 22wmr carbine with open sights is probably "best". If you want to pick off squirrels past 50 yards, a heavy barreled varmint gun with wide stock that rests well on bags is best. There are guns that are middle of the road performers that do everything well. Sometimes the semi autos have problems and in that case maybe a bolt gun would be best. Maybe a pump henry if you think fast follow up shots in a reliable action are best? I guess you'll have to start collecting 22 magnums. When I was younger and poorer, I figured a 22LR would do everything I wanted a 22 to do. Then I decided I'd like to try a magnum which led to several more. The one I was shooting yesterday is my 16.5 cut down marlin 882 with a 3-9 scope. Not really a bench gun but it's a hunting machine. When I saw my shots at squirrels was going to be a bit long for the magnum I took out a 17 hmr. Pick the right tool for the job......rc

#55 ·
Zastava MP22

I kind of buzzed through all the posts and didn't see any mentioning the Zastava MP22. I bought one last fall based on how well my .22 LRs - Rem Mdl Five and two CZ99s - shoot compared to my CZ American, Silhouette and Sav MKIIg.

The Rem Mdl Five rules the roost, but the CZ99's do very well, at least on a par with the CZ 452s. The Sav. MKIIg does good, but not as good as the CZs.

I am still breaking in the MP22, having less than 4-5 boxes of various weight rounds through the barrel. But it is showing excellent promise. On the indoor 25 yd. range it is shooting very nearly to the same hole, and a 5 shot group that formed a near perfect "4-leaf" clover leaf with one of the rounds going through the center. This was with the Win. Varmint HV 30 gr. PT.

I have had it out in the country twice to stretch it out to 50-55 yards. I was getting some <1/2 in groups, some a little bigger, but I lost my notes and I will have to shoot the 2 loads over again to see which was giving the better accuracy if any. I shot the Hornady 30 gr. PT @ 2200'/s and Win Varmint HV 30 gr. PT @ 2250 '/s.

I picked up a box of the 45 gr. Hornady Critical Defense while I was at WalMart. I will have to try those out in my Single Six as well as the MP22 to see what they do.

VH :eek:man:

#56 ·
If you want a cheap truck/ carry around and don't want to be bothered with a magazine sticking out the bottom of the stock get a RAR and cut the mag release flush with the bottom of the stock. Now if you want a very accurate 22 mag get a oops, same answer. Now if you a beautiful rifle that would also serve as an investment there are many of those too. Annie comes to mind.:)

#57 ·
Think I'm joining this club. Was wondering what to do with a spare scope that was lying around for the past few years. My stock does touch near the forward end of the forearm, and the mag release needs to be trimmed, but looking forward to shooting this one outdoors. I like the proportions. Balances great and fits well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#58 ·
Sharp looking rig Fidelity. Many of the stocks touch on one side. If you pull your barrel/ receiver assm. out of the stock you can take a sharp utility and hold the blade perpendicular to the material to be removed and scrape. much faster than sanding. good time to pull the mag release and trim it down. My stock touched on one side when I first got but I shot it anyway and it shot great. I removed some material to fully free float it and it shot the same. Keep us posted on how it shoots.:)

#60 ·
Sharp looking rig Fidelity. Many of the stocks touch on one side. If you pull your barrel/ receiver assm. out of the stock you can take a sharp utility and hold the blade perpendicular to the material to be removed and scrape. much faster than sanding. good time to pull the mag release and trim it down. My stock touched on one side when I first got but I shot it anyway and it shot great. I removed some material to fully free float it and it shot the same. Keep us posted on how it shoots.:)
Thanks for the forearm fitting tip. [emoji106] And I will post initial targets. [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.