Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bring it back, Ruger!

17K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'm about the million and one'th guy to say this, but I wonder if Ruger will ever bring back the 10/22 magnum? Sure would be nice.

#37 ·
I e-mailed ruger about asking if they had any plan on bringing the 10/22 mag back and this is the reply I got.

We do not make any auto-loading firearms in 17 HMR or 22 WMRF. There
is great variability in the loading of these cartridges and, on a relative
basis, brass casing that are weak for the pressures involved. Why?
Because you need a case that is soft enough to ensure rimfire ignition,
which is in conflict with the need for a case strong enough to handle
magnum loadings. Since auto-loading firearms generally do not have a
locked bolt at ignition, there is a very slight, but real risk of a blown
case. And no one wants that.

If we can figure out an engineering solution to this conundrum, we¹ll
bring one out, but for now it has us stumped. Sorry about that.

Best regards,
Mike Fifer

#39 ·
I e-mailed ruger about asking if they had any plan on bringing the 10/22 mag back and this is the reply I got.

We do not make any auto-loading firearms in 17 HMR or 22 WMRF. There
is great variability in the loading of these cartridges and, on a relative
basis, brass casing that are weak for the pressures involved. Why?
Because you need a case that is soft enough to ensure rimfire ignition,
which is in conflict with the need for a case strong enough to handle
magnum loadings. Since auto-loading firearms generally do not have a
locked bolt at ignition, there is a very slight, but real risk of a blown
case. And no one wants that.

If we can figure out an engineering solution to this conundrum, we¹ll
bring one out, but for now it has us stumped. Sorry about that.

Best regards,
Mike Fifer
They need to hire Remington's engineers or Volquartsen's. They both seem to have it firured out-kc

#41 ·
I understand what ruger said about different loading with the 22 mag. Magnum research has a warning about not shooting loads under 40 grain in there rifle. From what I have read If you build a razor magnum receiver you have to tune the return spring to the load you are shooting.

#42 ·
Someone on here may be able to solve the "conundrum".

There's been some very original and creative solutions put forth on this forum. If we would like to see them again then maybe the solution is in a member's mind just waiting to be developed.

I do agree the 17HMR must be cleaned. We also know the 17HMR and 17HM2 case properties vary greatly along with dirtiness and powder ignition/burn curves. That's been hashed to death on hear. I've done both conversions and know the chambers have to be kept relatively clean for proper function. Never messed with a 22 Magnum so can't comment on the maintenance for them.

Could be the cost of steel castings, tooling and labor, don't know for sure. One would think labor would go out the window with CNC. There's the tungsten bolt, maybe that's an issue for them for some reason. Hope they aren't overlooking the simple stuff to solve the "conundrum".

So where's the great RFC minds on this solution? It would be great to see the solution come from RFC. Then Ruger's excuse would still come from their legal and marketing staff.

#44 ·
Don't forget the CZ 512 in 22wmr. They seemed to have solved the difficulties that Ruger can't handle. I haven't shot one, but my local gunsmith did -- quarter-size groups at 100 yards from a rest. And from many reviews I've read, they're very reliable. Also a unique breakdown arrangement.

The "Swamp People" used a .17hmr rifle in at least one episode -- for a close range kill shot. Don't know why, except they seemed to have IQs only a few points above the gators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.