#1 ·
Its been awhile since youve talked about your
10/22 conversion to 22 mag. How is it working
out? Thinking about building my own Chief Dave
conversion and was just wondering. ???

#2 ·
CHIEF SAYS :   WORKS FINE ,   One thing about it,

with the lighter 10/22 bolt , you dont have any problem

with jams because of the bolt not cycling.

What you will get is a slight swelling in the case rim

"minor". Plus you will want to strengthen (stretch)

or replace (stiffer) extractor spring.

I have lost two (2) extractors . (1) plunger and (1) spring

olly while I was shooting CCI (TNTS) .  I  would advise

if you do the conversion (start out with ammo ) other

than hyper velocity to break it in.

NOTE : all the extractors/parts that I lost were used

parts . my new extractor ,plunger & spring are holding

up fine ( 18 boxes of 50 ) no cracks, or excessive wear!

chiefdave

#3 ·
Okay, lets see if I got this right.  Green Mountain barrel for about $110.... Walmart special Ruger 10/22 for about $140.... a magnum extractor spring for pennies... a magnum magazine for ??? (and save the .22 mag for my long rifle 10/22) and that is all that is needed unless the extractor breaks?  

Im thinking about it!  What about the stock?  I guess with a Green Mountain barrel, Id have to redo the stock.  What about a factory 22 magnum barrel?  Would that fit with a factory 10/22 stock OK?  What would be a fair price for one of them?

#4 ·
Chief says : Sounds like you know the plan , already.

yes the factory 22 mag barrel will work fine. Thats

exactly what I used to do the conversion . I show

a pic in one of the forums here . FACTORY STOCK,

FACTORY 22 MAG BARREL, 10/22 lr Receiver (grey).

Grey , so I could tell it from the others.

If you attempt the conversion . e-mail me direct , I will

supply you with exact details on line or via cd-rom in

the mail. I assure you its the cheapest priced magnum

out there.

used 22 mag barrel = about $25.00 TOPS
NEW 22 MAG MAGAZINE = about $13.00

#7 ·
I made my CD MAGNUM conversion last month and have been to the range with it twice now. What a kick in the pants! Everyone at the range wanted to know how it was working and were shocked at the low cost of a semi-auto magnum. I am using a stock Ruger barrel and my best group so far with a cheap scope and 5 to 10 MPH wind gusts is just over 1/2 inch at 25 yards. My last trip had 15 to 20 MPH gusts and I was shooting at 50 yards and had groups of about 2 in(same cheap scope). I am sure there is a lot more accuracy in the rifle, I just haven't done any serious shooting for groups while working out the bugs. I lost my extractor twice the first trip so I did a little research(see the "hey antlurz" thread in 10-22 action forum) and put a spacer under the plunger and spring and had no more problems. I did notice that my conversion is very sensitive to magazine tension.

If you have a second 10-22 or even a first and are thinking of doing this, DO IT! You won't regret it!

#9 ·
Silly Question

What is the price for a 10/22 Magnum? If my math is correct the cheapest you could do the CD Magnum for is right around 200 with the stock barrel or around 285 with the GM barrel...

Just curious...I see that Ruger's website says $499

#12 ·
I bought my 10/22 Magnum for $265, including shipping.

Of course, Froghair gave me an awesome deal on it!!! :t

If you buy a new one, it will cost you about $350, give or take $50.

Good luck!

#16 ·
22LR to .17HMR

You can convert the 10/22 to a 10/17, just like converting the 10/22 to the 10/22 mag. Chief Dave has posted and shown exactly how it is done here. Only difference between the 10/22mag and 10/17HMR is the barrel.

#17 ·
Re: You can't do that!

Conrad CA said:
22lr is smaller that a 22mag so you cannot convert a 22lr barrel to 22mag unless you drill out the barrel.
No offense intended Conrad...but ,though the 22LR barrel bore is a couple of thousanths tighter than the 22 magnum barrel..I can personally attest to the fact that the 224 dia jacketed bullets will indeed shoot from the 22 LR barrel. All you would really need is a rechamber...though a 22 Mag take off WOULD be cheaper.

#19 ·
Re: 22LR to .17HMR

Ted said:
You can convert the 10/22 to a 10/17, just like converting the 10/22 to the 10/22 mag. Chief Dave has posted and shown exactly how it is done here. Only difference between the 10/22mag and 10/17HMR is the barrel.
Hey Chief Dave-This is exactly what I am interested in doing If I am reading this correctly. I would please like some more info on this topic.Thanks-troutdog@itech.net

#20 ·
Hi Chief. I too would like more about converting the LR to a mag. Tried a search to find your orig post, but the search is not working. If or when you find the time, please Email me (oldman53@earthlink.net) how to convert one or tell me where I will find the info.

Thanks,

Richard

#22 ·
Chief Says : CONVERT yer 10-22 to 10-22 MAG . not a problem.

Get trigger group back far enough to insert 22 mag magazine .
drop on mag barrel or rechamber lr barrel.

To convert 10-22 mag or 77/22 mag to 17HMR =
just swap barrels - your done.

Yes the LR bore dia. is .1000 tighter than the magnum bore.
But it still shoots the .224 projectile out the end , and sometimes
with better accuracy.
Do you really think Ruger uses the same barrel blanks for both the LR and Mag , just different chambers . = i do !
CD

#23 ·
Welcome back CD.

ChiefDave said:
Chief Says
with better accuracy.
Do you really think Ruger uses the same barrel blanks for both the LR and Mag , just different chambers . = i do !
CD
Well really only about 0.0015" tighter. 12 caliber would be .1000 tighter (But I know...it was just a typo)

As for the same barrel blank...I've had a Ruger employee with access to the barrels who says that if they do...it's not intentional.

#24 ·
ChiefDave said:
Chief Says : CONVERT yer 10-22 to 10-22 MAG . not a problem.

Get trigger group back far enough to insert 22 mag magazine .
drop on mag barrel or rechamber lr barrel.

To convert 10-22 mag or 77/22 mag to 17HMR =
just swap barrels - your done.

with better accuracy.
CD
how do you get the trigger back far enough?

#26 ·
None of the 10-22 versions that I have seen, LR or Mag. have the caliber on the barrel except the CD conversion I put together. They are not intended to have the barrel swapped between the Mag and the LR so my guess is that Ruger figures that stamping the reciever is good enough. Not collectors items, sorry!

The 77-XXs stamp the barrels 'cause they use the same reciever for all calibers. 22LR, 22WMR and even the 77-17HMR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.