Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 mag action w/ broken bolt

5K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  blainejr 
#1 ·
Hey all, been a ruger fan for years and 10/22 nut for just as long, and I've had the itch for a 10/22 mag since I knew they existed. Well I thought I got a buy last Fri night on gun broker, I'm finding out I may have got myself a $400 paper weight. I bought a complete 10/22 mag action, receiver, trigger group, bolt, everything but the stock and barrel. BUT the bolt is broken, I knew this when I was buying it but thought I'd surely be able to buy a replacement, WRONG!!!! I can't find anything available, so if you one you kind folks know something I don't I'm screwed. I debating on takin the low road on this transaction and tellin the seller to keep said item and take my licks from gun broker.

What do ya all think???

Josh

#7 ·
Sorry

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is a parts donor and the #1 part isn't good. A good bolt alone is worth more than you paid for the gun.............if you could find one! I'd say your choices are limited to (A) Keep it in the hope that you may find a bolt, or (B) part it out and take your loss.

That said, I don't think much of a seller who would peddle damaged goods without making sure the buyer knew exactly what he was getting into. He may have said the bolt was broken but that's only half the story. "Now you know the rest of the story!" :(

#10 ·
The last time I spoke with Larry at LH Precision, I believe he said he was no longer making bolts for sale, except as part of a complete rifle. Though his website is undergoing reconstruction, you can still reach Larry through his website to ask him. Both the e-mail and phone number still work, though he currently has a day job and may not reply right away.

http://www.lhpfirearms.com/

He may have one in inventory, or I could be remembering incorrectly. I will say, the quality of his workmanship is first class.

#12 ·
Per their site

"Our bolt will not work in a Factory Ruger Magnum receiver as it is not made of Tungsten and WILL NOT keep the breach closed long enough on Ruger model Magnum Rifles. Our bolt is designed to work with a secondary main spring engineered into the Select Fire Magnum Receiver only! "

#18 ·
Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Do I undertsnad you when you say that you bought an assembly from GunBroker knowing full well that it had a broken bolt and you are considering not following through on the sale after later research?

#19 ·
blainejr,
Did you know about the bolt when you made an offer? If the seller was honest in his ad and did not hid the issue of the broken bolt or any other defect, a deal is a deal. That's how it goes.

#28 ·
I figured someone would ask.

"
"Volquartsen Customer Service" <customerservice@volquartsen.com>
Add sender to Contacts
To:
"deleted by me >
We have looked at this and plan on offering them once again later this summer.

Scott

On 6/15/2012 3:15 PM, deleted wrote:
> A few years ago ya'll produced aftermarket replacement bolts for the 10/22 Magnum. I was wondering if there were any plans, ability to either reintroduce these again or to make a limited run at least?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Stephen T

#38 ·
broken bolt

I have a complete 10/22 magnum and I contacted Ruger about my concerns about the problems with the 22 magnum. They advised that I could return the rifle and they would exchange it for a M77. Send them a email and see what they have to say. I have not had any problems with mine and Im not sure what I want to do with it at this time. I have seen bolts on E-Bay but not sure what they went for.

#39 ·
I have a complete 10/22 magnum and I contacted Ruger about my concerns about the problems with the 22 magnum. They advised that I could return the rifle and they would exchange it for a M77. Send them a email and see what they have to say. I have not had any problems with mine and Im not sure what I want to do with it at this time. I have seen bolts on E-Bay but not sure what they went for.
I have only an action, no barrel and no stock. And I have no interest in a M77 in .22Mag, doubt they would do anything for me since I do not have a complete rifle.

thanks

Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.