Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My Razor Magnum build (pics)

18K views 147 replies 18 participants last post by  tanakasan 
#1 ·
Well, when I heard that Select Fire was making a revised version of the 10/22 Magnum I was instantly intrigued. So I called my brother, who has more firearms knowledge than I do, and asked if he thought it would be a doable project, he was very encouraging, so I started ordering some parts.

What I wanted was a heavy barreled semi-auto 17hmr. I'm hoping that the Select Fire receiver will be a good platform to pull off the 17hmr. I have a 10/22T that I replaced the trigger group w/a Kidd, so I already have an extra trigger group. I wanted a stainless fluted barrel w/a laminate stock. Finding a barrel proved more difficult than I expected, so ended up w/a blued non fluted .920 barrel from E.R. Shaw. I ordered a laminate stock from Stocky's, they called a few days later and told me they were out of stock, but could back order it, I said no and ordered a Hogue magnum .920 stock. I ordered a power custom magnum hammer spring, the rest of the parts came from Select Fire (buffer, pins, v-block). I also ordered the fixture and drill bit kit from Select Fire, and a 11/16" reamer from Grizzly.

Cost breakdown......All prices are to the door
receiver kit (w/bolt), buffer, pins, v-block, fixture, drill bits.............$390
Hogue .920 magnum stock............................................................$85
E.R. Shaw .920, 18" 17 HMR barrel, blued.....................................$132
Trigger Group, already had as spare...............................................$000
Power Custom hammer spring........................................................$13
Grizzly 11/16" reamer....................................................................$16
................................................................................Total.............$636

I hope to get the receiver finished on thursday, more pics to come.

See less See more
#63 ·
Spoke with Phil today on the phone.

Said that he *might* modify the bolts, but I am aware that as it stands, I will need to tune and tweak. No problemo.

I am going to look for the thickness dimension of a 77/22 barrel spacer. That will open up some choices for barrel purchase. I can machine a custom v-block also.

I think I will order an extra main spring w/ my receiver. I was planning to source a one piece spring after all the tuning was done.

Just a question, is there a magnum type hammer spring or will the 22LR TG be OK? I do not feel that the hammer needs to hit harder to ignite the 17HMR...but I could be wrong!

Robert

#74 ·
Spoke with Phil today on the phone.

Said that he *might* modify the bolts, but I am aware that as it stands, I will need to tune and tweak. No problemo.

I think I will order an extra main spring w/ my receiver. I was planning to source a one piece spring after all the tuning was done.
i hope so...i don't have a ruger bolt laying around to compared the two. i also wish the razor mag kits would come with a longer spring. i would rather trim then add short pieces to it a little at a time. these two modifications alone would definatly speed up the loosening of my wallet...:bthumb:

#64 ·
I bought my hammer spring from "Power Custom", I bought/installed this prior to the rifle functioning,in anticipation of needing it. my thinking was that the stiffer spring would hit the primer harder, and also help in slowing the bolt down. But when I put my Kidd 2 stage in my razor, it had no problem firing the round. The Kidd 2 stage uses a lighter hammer that travels at a faster speed (according to Kidd).

The 77/22 barrel in 17 HMR may be your best bet, you can buy the spacers relatively cheap. You can probably find a barrel specifically for the 10/22M, you'll just have to do some searching on the internet. I bought mine from The Sportsman's Guide, but I just checked and I didn't see them listed anymore. Whistle Pig has them in stock, and they have a lot of color, fluting, length options.Volquartsen has them too, but they are a little pricey. Butler Creek made barrels, but they are hard to find now also.

#67 ·
Hey, thanks for all the leg work, stukpedal! :bthumb:

I saw that BC stock/barrel kit. Wonder what I could sell off the stock for? I am going to search out the 77/22 barrels also. Probably go with a 20". Would like a SS, but maybe can't be too choosey! At least I'm not in a hurry.

I just noticed at the bottom of the WP page that they recommend the steel bolt buffer or WP pin only. Do yoiu have a steel pin or is a urethane/other soft buffer OK?

Robert

#69 ·
My Kidd single stage showed up today, and WOW, I am impressed. I guess in my mind it wasn't going to be as nice as my Kidd 2-stage, because it works more similar to the factory Ruger trigger group. But I was pleasantly surprised, the trigger is very crisp, no pre/over travel, and very light pull. I haven't checked for pull weight yet, I'll wait until it's in the rifle, but it feels very light (it was ordered @ 1.5 lbs., and feels close to that). It should be a vast improvement. I ordered it with the long mag release, which has spoiled me completely on my other Kidd.

Hopefully the rest of my parts show up this week and I can get back to tweaking/tuning.

#71 ·
But I was pleasantly surprised, the trigger is very crisp, no pre/over travel, and very light pull.
The KID's rock!

I likes mine too! No pre-travel, no creep, just "tick-BOOM"! Crispy. Hey, if its too light, you can bring it up to 5#! :eek: :cool:

Mine is going to stay in the Razor LR build. I picked up a Clark Custom TG off the boards for my magnum. Nice, but been tweaking it a bit...its no KID.

Razor is en route, can't wait to start. Hopefully this Saturday!

@passinby, I am looking forward to the challenge! Can't be that bad, right?:cool:

Robert

#75 ·
I purchased an extra MS.

Phil suggested adding 1/3 more spring. I plan on cutting the secondary spring into 2/5~3/5 sections.

Try the 2/5 "as is" (longer than Phil's 1/3) and possibly cut to tune. If a no go, work with the 3/5 section and repeat cutting/tuning. If it ends up too long to install, I will research stronger replacement springs. All parts will be readily available.

Also plan on adding the +10% KID spring I have left over from the LR build.

Will start a new build thread when my kit arrives with mods I have done specific to my receiver.

Robert

#76 ·
When the extractor fell out of mine after the first mag of ammo and then seeing the buffer completely destroyed after 100 rounds, I'm thinking that the spring isn't strong enough in mine. Somebody said on another thread that there is no ideal spring length for the .17s, and you have to experiment with different lengths until you find what works in your gun. Wouldn't it be the same for a .22 Mag? They might not need as much spring, on average, as a .17 HMR, but wouldn't they vary a little from gun to gun too? Just asking?

#79 ·
It's a Barrett 99 (50 BMG) w/a Leupold mark 4 8.5-25x50 mil-dot scope with Barrett's BORS system. It's nearly new, only 5 rounds have been fired through it.

I hope to get to the range this weekend and shoot it and my Razor. The funny thing is, I'm excited to shoot the largest commercially available rifle, and the smallest commercially available.

Just thought I would share.

#82 ·
It's a Barrett 99 (50 BMG) w/a Leupold mark 4 8.5-25x50 mil-dot scope with Barrett's BORS system. It's nearly new, only 5 rounds have been fired through it.

I hope to get to the range this weekend and shoot it and my Razor. The funny thing is, I'm excited to shoot the largest commercially available rifle, and the smallest commercially available.

Just thought I would share.
I'm jealous of the largest at the moment!

#84 · (Edited)
^^+1 for tinkering!

The Razor LR was fun...purchase/machine/assemble/test fire/sight in/done.

The 17HMR take a bit more tinkering. Love it! Its what I do all all day in special FX. I like the idea of a group of us on a journey (via a virtual workshop) heading toward a common goal. Along with the rewards of accomplishing that! Too bad that all of us will probably never get together to shoot these rifles.

USPS says my kit will arrive today!

Robert

#90 ·
Well my barrel came in today, my extra spring came in last week, and I had planned on putting it together tonight. But...Others on here have used more spring and are still kicking the extractor out. So I'm going to try to come up with a method of adding mass to the bolt before I put it back together. I ordered some mallory metal today, so once that comes in I will start working on that.

#93 ·
Well, I copied Tanakasan's idea and made a long spring follower. In doing it though, I realized that adding spring to these is probably a bad idea, as it will create a coil bind problem. As delivered it seems that there is only about 1/4" until coil bind, which is fine, but adding spring length would have to put you in coil bind. You may want to check for yourself to be certain. I was going to make the head of the follower longer, but that would have created a coil bind issue as well. I think Tanakasan did the right thing by using a thicker gauge spring, which will still get closer to coil bind, but i don't think the .005 thicker wire will cause a problem, provided it's cut to factory length.

These are my observations, you may want to check your setup, ymmv. I was getting coil bind @ 2.5".

Tanakasan...would you be interested in selling me one of your springs?

#94 ·
^^Wow, nice job there!:bthumb:

I think you are correct about needing a heavier spring vs more length of the SF version.

I am at 8" of the middle weight spring and the bolt travels fine. Started at 9" and cut back til it hit the buffer consistently.

If need be, I will order the heaviest spring. Going to try this setup out first...if my barrel ever comes. Getting the itch to fire this puppy!

No, I won't sell you a spring. But if you PM me your addy, I will send you one gratis. Gotta help my Razor brethren!:cool:

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.