Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Who would like a 22 MAGNUM

22K views 140 replies 58 participants last post by  mosigdude 
#1 ·
I am considering building 22 Magnum receivers. They would be completely re-engineered and the only similarity they would have to the Ruger is that the parts would interchange. We would like to know if anyone has interest in a 22 Magnum Receiver. If there is enough feedback and interest we will invest in teh development and re-enginnering. It would be very similar to the RAZOR receiver with built in rail system. The design would be robust and functional. We would concentrate on working out the issues RUGER had.

If you are interested in purchasing a 10/22 redesigned Magnum receiver to build from scratch please let me know with a simple reply to this Post

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com

Phil
Select Fire Sales

#64 ·
Sounds great to me. I have been kicking myself for ever selling my 10/22 magnum. When ever I do spot one the prices are just insane.Having the option do a reasonably priced build would be fantastic.At one time I had 4 .22 mag rifles but fell on hard times and eventually let them all go.I was recently toying with the idea of buying a Marlin 983t as that seems like the best way to go back to 22 mag in a budget friendly way.The L H Precision is beautiful and is definately high quality, it's just a little out of my reach.You have a great idea.Why Ruger stopped producing this rifle is beyond me.They should at least have kept as a special order or something.

#66 · (Edited)
Update MAGNUM Receivers.

Well Gentlemen,
As I may have mentioned, I am only building 30 sets of parts for the first run. If those sell in reasonable amount of time I will build more.

I can tell you this; it is extremely exciting to build a receiver, bolt assembly and all the supporting small parts for the redesign, put them together and have this 22 MAGNUM Rifle spit bullets down the barrel one after another. Seeing the long shell casings fly out the side is just plain COOL! Especially knowing that every part is one that you put together to make it work. I love building guns.

I have been so stoked about this project that I have sent out my production prototype receiver (3rd Build) to get anodized Black. I ordered a cool Boyds laminated stock and a Mueller scope for it. I don't even have my own RAZOR 10/22 yet! But the MAGNUM is just so cool that I am building a keeper from the last set of functioning parts I have made. I even cut the barrel to 16.5 inches, threaded it and added the Dominator Comp to it. Normally I don't even care about stuff like that. I stuff barrels in bullet trap tubes scratching them and taking the bluing off just trying to get development out of the way. I can't tell you how many barrels I've gouged up and damaged. But the MAGNUM is different, I can't explain it. I even like looking at the bullets. It's just a different animal!

The sad part about Rugers 22 Magnum semi-auto is: Every one will eventually fail. The Tungsten bolts will all crack over time. It is just the nature of the material in the application they chose to use it in. All those rifles will become paper weights, It just sad! The gun is just such a sweet firearm.

The material is all ordered for the first set of Receivers and Bolts. All the others small parts I have on hand. By the end of September I hope to have these available for the consumer to purchase. I think I mentioned that the kits would be $290.00 (Receiver, Bolt Assembly, Charging handle Assembly, Main spring, spring follower and spring retaining plug). You will still need, Trigger group, R25P Bolt Buffer, Cross Pins, V-Block stock and barrel. But you will have a new, better made semi-automatic 22 MAGNUM or 17HMR rifle that will last for generations if taken care of. Plus there will be no FFL transfer fees or Government Paperwork as it will be sold as a 80% receiver Kit.

Anyway, thats All I have for now.

Phil
Select Fire Sales

#67 ·
Can you post a picture of the new bolt? Is it still a pure-blowback operated mechanism?

If I were trying to make a non-tungsten design with the same outer envelope, I would use some of the space in the scope rail for the recoil spring and make the bolt FILL the space, but that's just me.

I think if it works well with just one extractor slot, you are already ahead of the game, and using steel over tungsten gets you all the way home (durability).

How many rounds through the oldest prototype?

#69 · (Edited)
Select Fire 22 MAGNUM

To be honest BulZi I think I mentioned that we had designed it that way a few months back. (Extra Parts in Scope Rail).

I haven't keepet exact count but I think each of the first 2 receivers got about 300 rds put through them without and issues related to wear or bolt damage. The designs have changed for other reasons; tolorances, imporoved parts, manufacturing process and reliability. The last receiver (3rd prototye production intent) has had 15 or 20 boxes stuffed through it. With zero signs of failure or wear on critical areas. We are not Smith & Wesson or Colt. Our R&D is basic with crude but reliable methods of proving out a weapons functionality. Even the big manufactures have issues they never anticipated on. We are trying our best to release a great product. The RAZOR went through some trials and turned out to be one ofthe best manufactured receivers on the market to build and shoot. Everything takes time and the most important relaibility tool there is comes from the feedback of the customer. They are the true Development testing tools. They drive the real design changes that make the product exceptional.

I will say that I am so pleased with our product that I am getting the 3rd production intent prototype receiver anodized and built up to be my personal 22 MAGNUM rifle. So I am very satisfied with what we have at this point.

To answer your blow back dequestion. We are using the same basic operating principals as the gun was designed with.

Phil
Select Fire Saleshttp://www.ruger1022receiver.com

#70 ·
To be honest BulZi I think I mentioned that we had designed it that way a few months back. (Extra Parts in Scope Rail).
To be honest, though, you didn't mention that the recoil springs were in the rail the past. :) - You just kept insisting that the rail wasn't optional so that was almost like saying it was important for function.

It would be very similar to the RAZOR receiver with built in rail system.
The recoil and inertia issue was resolved by changing the receiver design a bit.
The receiver is the exact same outside dimensions as the factory Ruger Magnum Receiver. The only difference is the built in weaver rail that has a .300 riser integrated into the receiver.
There is nothing wrong at all with the design, in fact, it looks very very very good. I think your design is better than the Ruger, I just wanted to make sure that it is blowback-operated, since that will influence longevity (if, for example, it used roller locks or lever locks to delay the blowback).

In terms of barrel compatibility, could someone take a factory 10/22 style barrel and just add an extractor slot at the proper location(s) and then use it on your receiver, or does the barrel need other custom features?

To answer your blow back dequestion. We are using the same basic operating principals as the gun was designed with.
A simple "yes" would suffice, no need to be cryptic :)

Does the steel bolt ever make contact with the rear receiver or does the buffer prevent contact? Did you do any fatigue-failure calculations on the rear of the receiver?

#71 ·
Bolt blow-back was adjusted using different spring rates. Yes, the bolt does contact the BUFFER only. It never makes contact with the rear (metal) of the receiver. It contacts with minimal force. The spring takes most of the force leaving just enough for the bolt to fully cycle to the rear and contact the bolt buffer. The R25P bolt buffer can take incredible abuse as I use it in the RAZOR under full auto with a very weak return spring and it has seen 10,000 rounds in several guns. Using the R25P bolt buffer prevents any residual energy to directly affect the aluminum receiver. It's a balance act that has been met with mechanical resistance. Rear of the receiver is .150 thick with .130 side walls, VERY ROBUST.

The standard Ruger 10/22 barrel and the Magnum Barrel have the extractor slot located exactly in the same places. I use a single extractor with a sharp claw end (Select Fire Black Diamond Extractor) along with our extraction spring and plunger.

You could slip a standard 22 Ruger barrel into the receiver as the Magnum and 10/22 barrels have identical head spacing and .6875 receiver bores. I suppose if you reamed a standard 22 barrel you could create a deep enough breach to use 22 Magnum rounds. The DIA is the same, just the breach depth will very about .5 inches. I am speculating when I say this. I have never done it or measured either breach. But they look identical.

You are right BulZi I never mentioned it on this forum. However, I have talked about it on the weapons Guild forum site.

Phil
Select Fire Sales
http://www.ruger1022receiver.com

#72 ·
Sounds like a great design, glad to hear that the first 30 are in progress and I bet there will be a lot more of them after that, and even more if you make a 100% version at a later time. :)

I am also glad to hear that it is single extractor - that alone will make the bolts stronger, and steel is going to be tougher than the HMA Ruger used.

If Ruger had just done something similar to your design, rather than insisting on a certain cosmetic similarity to the 10-22, then maybe semiauto .22WMR and even .17HMR would be much more available by now.

#74 ·
testing

To be honest I have not shot a 17 HMR through our receiver. But, I believe it will take to it without any issues. If anything you simply add additional coils to the existing main spring.

During testing of the 22 Magnum round on the first prototype we had to determine just how much resistance was needed to allow the bolt to function (come all the way back to contact the buffer). We started with too much spring rate and the gun would not cycle the shell casing. slowly we trimmed coils and changed the spring material until we found a spring rate and material that provided plenty of safety and still allowed the bolt to cycle fully.

If you shoot 17 HMR's you may not need to make any adjustments to the mechanical tension. But if you need to you can stack additional spring coils from .5 inches up to 2.75 inches. Our Main spring is 7.25 inches long free length. you can add additional tension up to 10 inches of free length. So there is plenty of room to adjust for all rounds and charges. The bolt design is a bit different to along with charging handle, but I am not going to get into the details at this time.

So to answer your question. We haven't tested 17 HMR but the gun should handle the load without any issues.

Phil
Select fire Sales

#79 ·
MAGNUM Receivers

All I can tell you is this; I don't know of anyone else offering a 22 Magnum semi-automatic rifle that you can build or purchase for under 600.00 Not to mention the quality of the parts and the fact that it is a nice gun to shoot that will last for generations.

#80 ·
All I can tell you is this; I don't know of anyone else offering a 22 Magnum semi-automatic rifle that you can build or purchase for under 600.00 Not to mention the quality of the parts and the fact that it is a nice gun to shoot that will last for generations.
The Accelerator rifle by Excel Arms is MSRP at $512 in 22 WMR or 17 HMR.

Tactical Innovations is supposed to come out with a 10/22 M close soon as well.

#85 ·
RAZOR Finish

The entire first run was hand deburred and hand sanded to get Black hardcoat anodize. I don't think we will be running these in aluminum, only black. That may change but anodizing protects the anuminum finish and hard coat makes them very durable.

Attached is a link to the weapons guild page where a fellow member has built a Magnum step by step with all the pictures duringthe build. You may need to register to view the pics. http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuilder/index.php?topic=14621.0

Phil

#86 ·
Phil,

Thanks for the response. I am trying to get a feel for what it will take to complete one of your receivers from a machining stand point. You have done a great job of explaining everything, and I know you make a fixture to complete the process. I have access to a milling machine and am wondering if the info that you folks provide would be sufficient to allow me to use a mill to complete receiver.

Your product looks very well made and I am excited about the prospect of building one of these units.

Thanks for your help.

#87 ·
Forgive what may seem like a silly question, but is it legal to make your own gun like this? Do you have to put a serial number on it or otherwise do anything once it is finished and becomes a firearm? I see on the website that people have made pistols out of them. I knew it was illegal to make a rifle receiver into a pistol, is there any legal issue with making one of these into a pistol?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.