Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Who would like a 22 MAGNUM

22K views 140 replies 58 participants last post by  mosigdude 
#1 ·
I am considering building 22 Magnum receivers. They would be completely re-engineered and the only similarity they would have to the Ruger is that the parts would interchange. We would like to know if anyone has interest in a 22 Magnum Receiver. If there is enough feedback and interest we will invest in teh development and re-enginnering. It would be very similar to the RAZOR receiver with built in rail system. The design would be robust and functional. We would concentrate on working out the issues RUGER had.

If you are interested in purchasing a 10/22 redesigned Magnum receiver to build from scratch please let me know with a simple reply to this Post

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com

Phil
Select Fire Sales

#5 ·
LH Precision 22M/17HMR

Be aware there is competition out there. Yesterday afternoon, I took delivery of a 22 Magnum/17HMR switch barrel rifle from LH Precision. It is built on similar plans to a Ruger 10/22M only stronger, and with closer tolerances in all machining.

Yesterday evening, I mounted my 10-40X50mm Tasco Target/Varmint scope to the rifle.

Today, I took it to my rifle range and fired 175 rounds, two boxes of CCI 20 gr. Gamepoint and one and a half boxes of Hornady 20 gr. XTP. I had zero failures to feed and zero failures to fire.

The rifle performed flawlessly. Everything about it screamed quality, from the fit and finish of the rifle to the ease of inserting and removing magazines.

Given that it is a new rifle, with a new scope that I need to learn and given that I was shooting off a jury built rest with ammo that may not be what the rifle prefers, I got reasonable if not spectacular accuracy.

On Monday, I will be back at the range with different ammo and a better rest.

While competition is a good thing (It's the American way.) be aware you will be entering a highly competitive market.

I will be taking and posting pictures of my rifle in a few days. It is truly a thing of beauty to my eyes.

#6 · (Edited)
Competition ?

Well Onearm you have about talked me out of it. The last thing I would want to do is invest time & cash into something that will not sell like the LH products.

This is what I was thinking; The receiver would be 80% like the RAZOR, price would be about 150.00 I would CNC machine up the bolts and have them ground and case hardened. They would probably run 120.00

The buyer would purchase a Stock, cocking handle, 10/22 trigger group and a barrel. He or she would have about 270.00 into the receiver and bolt assembly. Another 150 into a barrel. 125 for a stock and 80 dollars for trigger group and hardware.

So for around 600.00 you could build a custom 22 Magnum.

Is that what you paid for yours?

But, if you think its not worth it or the competition is too steep I'll forget about it. I was looking for interest and feedback before considering taking on this task.

Thanks for your reply.

Respectfully,
Phil
Select Fire Sales

#10 ·
22 mag,

I would like one, put me down for the first one and I will send the money now, It is just stupid and jelously creeps in to try to discourage this kind of a venture. there would be great demand and market, after all, we all have a half dozen 22 LRs and who that loves these 10l22's wouldn't want a coupe 22 mags.

#11 ·
Not to Descourage...Just Being Realistic

I would like one, put me down for the first one and I will send the money now, It is just stupid and jelously creeps in to try to discourage this kind of a venture. there would be great demand and market, after all, we all have a half dozen 22 LRs and who that loves these 10l22's wouldn't want a coupe 22 mags.
Cautioning a guy thinking of spending his own hard earned cash to start up a new business is not stupid or creepy. I and other RFC members have just pointed out that other companies have custom 10/22M rifles already in production and have a jump on Select Fire.

I should point out that I went whole hog on my rifle and had LH Precision build it with the best components available. Also my rifle is a switch barrel rifle capable of changing from 22WMR to 17HMR in about ten minutes by changing barrels. It is hardly comparable to the rifle Select Fire describes. My Kidd trigger and my two barrels add up to nearly the cost of what Select fire believes would be the total price for one of his rifles. As to the final price of my rifle, lets just say I had to sell a rare 1978 Honda GL1000 in nearly showroom condition to pay for it and I'm not a bit sorry.

If a custom built safe, accurate, reliable 10/22M rifle can be built for $600, I say go ahead. There will be a market for it. As I said, "competition is the American way."

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
another dark horse in the race...

I have a design in the works that will shoot .22LR, .17HM2, .22WMR, and .17HMR. It will accept 10-22 style barrels (with appropriate bore, chamber, and rifling for the given calibers). It will not be based on 10-22 the magnum receiver or the 10-22 receiver.

That is all I am saying about it at this point, and it won't be built for at least six months, probably 9 or more.

I have another project in the works which takes priority in the interim (eTrigger bullpup).

#25 ·
Sounds Interesting

I have a design in the works that will shoot .22LR, .17HM2, .22WMR, and .17HMR. It will accept 10-22 style barrels (with appropriate bore, chamber, and rifling for the given calibers). It will not be based on 10-22 the magnum receiver or the 10-22 receiver.

That is all I am saying about it at this point, and it won't be built for at least six months, probably 9 or more.

I have another project in the works which takes priority in the interim (eTrigger bullpup).
I am curious to see how you can do that. To change a 10/22 LR to a 17 HM2 or a 10/22 WMR to a 17 HMR all you need to do is change barrels to a 17 barrel. That is because each of those pairs of cartridges has brass of the same length and diameter. and can use the same magazine. However, if you go from a 10/22 LR to a 10/22 WMR, or a 17 HM2 to a 17 HMR, the cartridges are of different lengths and diameters so the magazines cannot be cross compatible.

I am not saying it is impossible to make a single rifle that will accept all four cartridges but it does present difficulties.

#24 ·
There is interest in a .22 Mag since Ruger dropped out of this market. Look at the prices on the used one, even with the issues. I doubt Ruger will be back with a 10/22 Mag. They are plenty busy with other more profitable projects.

I see .22 Mag semi-autos as more specialty markets. That's bad in that it keeps the economy of scale in production down, but its good in that people will pay more for a high quality limited production firearm.

Lots of factors to balance here. For me, I would love such a rifle if I could have a complete one for under $700 and it was a really great firearm. I would easily spend $650-$700 or so for something high quality and nice looking over some run of the mill massed produced rifle at $350 that has a lot of quality compromises to keep the price down. OH, that is being down by Magnum Research and others.

Well, look around and think about it. There is a market, its just how big. I know for one I just couldn't go $1k + on a rifle like that. But...if the price was right...

#26 · (Edited)
I don't want to go into too many details... but I am well aware of the cartridge dimensions for the four cartridges mentioned, and I have the magazine and feed system designed.

You are correct, it presents several design challenges, but it most certainly can be done with minimal component swaps. It required a certain "aha moment" on the design, but after that, it was pretty smooth sailing.

It will not be based on 10-22 the magnum receiver or the 10-22 receiver

#27 ·
Now, this makes the rifle really interesting. The ability to be made in different calibers on the same platform. This is always a good idea, if it can be made to work. Of course a bolt change would be needed and magazines would be different. But no good reason why the receiver could not handle this. It would certainly make production costs less. Design the rifle for this from the beginning is the way to go for sure.

Keep us updated on this. It is sounding like it has possibilities. I, for one, am very interested.

#29 ·
Not sure why Ale Addict nixed the 10/XX .... there was interested. He just never completed the project.

I'd love to see Select Fire make a 10/22 magnum receiver and bolt .... but yes, the bolt needs to be a tungsten alloy like LHP or VQ makes, or you need to bleed off some gas like the Magnum Research guns.

#31 ·
I'd say if selectfire can build a magnum action cheaper to go ahead and do it. Personally I think his estimate of cost is way out in left field and not because he would be competition. I probably spend 8 to 10 hours on each receiver I build with the machining and the hand work and the finishing. With the cost of materials, insurance, and excise tax it isn't as cheap to manufacture firearms as some people think. Some people think charging $299 for a tungstun bolt is highway robbery but when Volquartsen was selling them for $275 in their bargin bin it was a deal. The cost for a bolt blank in the grade of tungstun I buy is almost $100 and to get that price I have to place an order for thousands of dollars. 16 setups later I have a bolt. That's a lot of machining and alot of expensive tooling to pay for. If someone can make them cheaper then by all means do it and I'll buy them from them because trying to make and sell these isn't making me rich. The reason 10XX Receivers went belly up is because he wanted me to make the bolts for practically nothing and I wouldn't do it and no one else would either. I think it's humorous that some people think that $450 for an unfinished aluminum receiver and a bolt is a good deal but paying $250 more for a handbuilt polished and blued steel one that is 100% guaranteed in your desired configuration is highway robbery. As I said out of that $250 comes $77 excise tax and alot of cost for insurance.
I apoligize if this sounds like a rant because that's not my intension. I simply wanted to post a reply to some people on this sight who think they know alot and talk stupid. As for me, I gave up long ago trying to build cheap Walmart stuff and to concentrate on making the best I can make and charge accordingly. So I say to selectfire, if you can do it and make it profitable, more power to you.

Larry
L H Precision LLC

#34 · (Edited)
What we may do????

Select Fire does have its manufacturing license. We manufacture suppessors and post sample machineguns. There isn't much we can't make. With full access to CNC turning, milling, grinding, EDM, heat treating and broaching. If someone else is making it , we can to! It's about the return on investment while keeping retail cost low.

Our goal is to allow the customer to build/finish the receiver. In no way would we be manufcaturing guns like LHP. Building custom guns is not what we are trying to do or want to do. There is no reason for LHP to consider Select Fire a compeditor. Our customers will be those that want to build thier own personal rifle from parts.

On a different note: I don't understand why you are using TUNGSTUN as the alloy for the bolt unless it's weight. There are other designs that will allow the use of much more durable alloys. I could be wrong but as an engineer I believe in thinking outside the box and looking at other material or even a redesign of the part.

After reading over all of your comments I have decided that there is a lot of truth to what onearm says.

I think in the next few months I will purchase a MAGNUM rifle and begin the task of redesigning it in CAD to be more robust and machinable. I will also take a close look at the bolt assembly and see what improvements can be made. Then I'll draw that part up and determine the best method of manufacturing it.

This will take a few months to get done at minumum. The goal is to be able to manufacture both parts and keep the quility and functionality high and the cost as low as possible. I think it can be done if these parts are run in lots of 100 pcs minimum.

Select Fire has been wanting to do this for several months. We just wanted to make sure that there was a market/interest for a home built 10/22 (80%) magnum semi-automatic rifle.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post comments.

PS: This is a great bunch of guys who post on this forum.

Respectfully,

Phil
Select Fire Sales

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.