Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

no more magnum

5K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  Songdog1 
#1 ·
i called ruger to get a 10/22 mag and they said they discontinued them because they didnt like the quality. it definitly talked me out of bying one at a pawn shop and they said they didnt know if or when it would be remanufactured:eek:

#40 ·
Chief Says : There is a wide varity in both the 22 LR and 22 magnum , varity of powder charges/ bullet wt / velocity. The magnum rounds have bullet weights from 30 grs. to 50 grs and velocities at 1500 fps to 2200 fps.
One would almost have to trick the action to a certain kind of ammo to get the max performance. Meaning I would not want to take material out of a bolt then later decide to switch to hyper velocity ammo. Much like converting the 22 LR action to shoot only shorts then revert back to LR = DISRUPTED CYCLE RATE- Recoil pressure and blowpack power.
Ofcourse as aleaddict mentioned the 17HMR , with a std velocity of over 2600 fps can use the added weight in the bolt to prevent mushrooming rims.
Yet about every 17HMR semiauto will show some swelling " bulge" in the rear case rim. even Volquartsens 10-17HMR's also have it. Shows that your almost at the maximum effective pressure curve without case rupture.
Still the Remington 597 models use the same receivers, same size bolts , for all their calibers ( 22 LR- 22 MAG- 17HMR ) . They play the metal alloy game also
using a Tungsten bolt in the magnum and 17HMR.

#41 ·
CD --

I've bought and physically/chemically analyzed every semi-auto .22WMR bolt on the market (that I know of). It's amazing how different each major manufacturer's bolt really is (%W, HRC, tensile strength, elongation, etc.). The alloy I chose for the 10/xx bolt most closely resembles the 579. IMHO, Remingtom is the only one who got it right.

-- ale

#42 ·
Getting it right

With the dual charging handle springs/guide rods that remington utilizes, at least you have some elbow room to dink with springs.
nobody has it right=YET.
CD is just baiting you, he's shown me the shells from his world record HMR and he knows EXACTLY where things need to be. The specific metallurgy is only the tip of the iceberg, and that is only critical BECAUSE of certain choices made about bolt weight, and spring choices. If design execution was more elegant, then you could make some different things happen, and the current basic Ruger semi-auto platform would be (already is) a dinosaur.
I'm really anxious to pop one of those Aleaddict bolts in to see where it lands. I've got 1:14 twist 22MAG as well, and ported barrel/s to play with, and a GM "Experimaental HMR" barrel stashed back too. For me, tuning for the light fast stuff (In 22MAG) is all that I am really needing anyway.

#43 ·
The inherent limitations of the 10/22M design pretty much leaves metallurgy as the only recourse to issues of function, safety and reliability. Just like the Space Shuttle was once the premiere space vehicle of NASA, the 10/22M is a fascinating yet aging weapon system. That said, the 10/xx receiver and bolt may indeed be, "a small step for man..." Soon we'll see if it lives up to those expectations.

I have no doubt that CD is light-years ahead of all things rimfire. I only take the bait from time to time so that he knows that I'm still alive and kickin' :)

-- ale

#46 ·
Challenger!!!

The inherent limitations of the 10/22M design pretty much leaves metallurgy as the only recourse to issues of function, safety and reliability. Just like the Space Shuttle was once the premiere space vehicle of NASA, the 10/22M is a fascinating yet aging weapon system. That said, the 10/xx receiver and bolt may indeed be, "a small step for man..." Soon we'll see if it lives up to those expectations.

I have no doubt that CD is light-years ahead of all things rimfire. I only take the bait from time to time so that he knows that I'm still alive and kickin' :)

-- ale
Oh Brian, that is so "Rich"!......I am certain your project will work incredibly well. I think it'd be a pretty tall order for a factory version to do anything even remotely close to what that thing will do effortlessly.:)

#44 ·
Some folks on the Ruger forum think the 10-22 mag will be reintroduced.

I tend to agree with them.
The two manuals that came with my 9 and 10 month old 10-22T and WW Special mention the 17 and 22 mag.

Perusing Rugers site last night an viewing their safety videos etc. mention was made of the 10-22 mag in either the disassembly or reassembly video.

Methinks the video bit was not an error, but deliberately done.

I wouldn't mind owning the 17 or 22 mag.

Right now, all the interest at Ruger seems to be on the recently introduced SR9and the 22 Charger pistol which was derived from the 10-22.

Ruger now has the Charger up on its site, pics, video and specs.

#47 ·
I am sure there is more to these pressure curves than I know about. I would imagine that even chamber and bore tightness along with twist rate and barrel length would come into play which makes each rifle an individual. But since the 22 magnum is a hunting round would it not make sense that all the ammo is loaded to max power. Not exactly the wide power range of the 22 stinger - subs. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. I have found that heavier bullets in my VQ magnum eject more reliably. Whether they move the bolt faster or just move it farther I do not know. Probably both. But it does make sense to me that a heavier bullet would apply more force to the bolt. And the time the bullet takes to leave the barrel would also play in. I do know that my VQ has a hard time digesting the CCI 30 grain V max and nearly every one stovepipes. Everything else I have tried runs fine. Oddly though if I drop the mag they usually do eject so there is probably some bolt drag helping to cause the stovepipes.

Ale,

I really like the looks of your 10/xx :bthumb: When you get your daughters rifle completed please post some pictures.

#49 ·
Own one

I opted to wait for Ale Addict to get his receivers up and running. For less money than what a Ruger 10/22 MAG now costs (I'm using $650 for a figure), I think the project 10/XX receiver and bolt will be so much more rifle for the money that I just couldn't bring myself to invest in a factory version. In the interim, I opted to build a 22MAG from a 10/22lr receiver= works for me.:)

#50 · (Edited)
I read in this forum about some issues that the gun has, and i've also read of the fixes that people have found for these issues. I went ahead and bought my 10/22 Mag of the used gun rack anyway, and after making some of the suggested mods, I'm a happy camper.

Green Mountain Sporter Fluted Barrel Blued
Hogue Overmold Black Stock Std Barrel
Clark Trigger Kit
Volquartsen Edge extractor
Volquartsen Bolt buffer
Volquartsen Bolt release
Burris 1" Ruger Ring Mounts
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x 40mm Shotgun Mattte #20 Reticle Scope

10 shot groups, 50 yds, Fed 50 gr HP (757) 0.5 inch grid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.