Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Magnum scope problems

2K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  Chum 
#1 ·
I'll tell ya guys, I've been posting more troubles with my magnum than any one person should here lately but here's another. Just got the gun put together today minus the trigger job I wanted to have done. Just decided to go ahead and put her together and shoot a little. I bought a scope the other day from ebay. It was a used tasco target 6x24x44. Seemed nice enough. Put it on the magnum today, got her lined up and tightened it down. Put my bore sighter on the gun like I have a hundred times with no trouble. Looked through the scope and lined up the elevation. Then I started lineing up the windage and dangit all:mad: I went as far left as I could go and ran out. I needed to go a few lines further. I swithed the rings around and everything and still the same problem. The scope I had on it when it was a stock gun worked and lined up fine????? Now this particular magnum is the one with the built in bases. I mean the rings come with the gun and they go directly onto the receiver by way of some kind of molded in bases ruger had for a while or may still have I don't know. I'm kinda po'd at the moment. So do yall think it's the scope or something else. I don't know what else to try. HELP

#2 ·
The rings are Rugers Intergral system, they are on all magnums from the factory 10/2 mag, the entire 77 series also (inus some special runs ?)

Anyway I don't trust bore sighters, check that baby out on paper before you declare major war on anything. While your steaming on it, try putting the scope on it that was on the original setup as well if you still have it. Give us the specs on your build, barrel stock etc ?

Clint

#3 ·
Ok, here's the rundown on the magnum specs so far. Fajen thumbhole stock, GM 20' stainless bull .920, yello jacket magnum bolt buffer, Titan HTS PRO Extractor, spring and plunger, bell and carlson extended magazine release, Volquartsen stabilization Module, and of corse this tasco target 6x24x44 scope with ao and target turrets. Next to come will be the trigger, bolt rework and bbl floating if necessary as I have learned from you all. Now back to the scope problem. I have not shot it yet to test the scope out because it was getting darker out and is cold as all getout. Every scope I have ever boresighted with my boresighter have been within mere inch or two from center at worst. Just don't seem this is the time for the thing to be wrong. But I guess Clint is right about testing it before I totally blow my top. If it is indeed the scope should I give the guy I bought it from down the road or should I keep the scope to try on a different gun sometime or another. Don't know how to tell if the scope is bad or not. It's good and clear, no rattles and while I was attempting to boresite it in the x hairs moved fine until they went far as they would go. Thanks guys and maybe tomorrow it will warm up enough for a few shots off my bench at 50 yards. Well that's the extent of my range but it's far enough for me lol.:D :D Talk to me guys and tell me what you would do in this situation. and by the way Thanks to all of you who have helped me along the way with my magnum project and soon I'll be starting a LR project. Already have alot of parts bought up for it. Heck, I even have a bolt action mod 64mp anshuitz with a 32x scope on it and a 6oz two stage trigger sitting in a case in the corner that I have not fired the first round through because I've been so tied up with this magnum project. Crazy uh?:eek: :eek:

#4 · (Edited)
You could try a different set of rings or get some Burris or Millett rings that are windage adjustable. Then you will be able to put your scope back to its center and make all your windage adjustments using the bases attachment screws.

#5 ·
That's the problem, the rings are ruger rings designed to fit the integral base made into the receiver. I don't thind anyone else makes rings like this to fit in the ruger system????I'm gonna try another scope I have laying around and see what happens with that. Thanks for the input it is really appreciated.

#7 ·
Chief Says : Have been in the same boat exactly. Take a good " close" look at your rear ring . look at the base as it attaches to the receiver . I bet if you look close enough you will see a slice of daylight between the two.
I did like the others said . went out and bought some millet rings. that cured the alignment problem . But having that solved only irratated the need to find out what was going on with the rings. I recall " I think" I channeled the receivers ( half moon ) a few thousandths to let the rings intergal base fit flush.

I will search here and see if I can find the thread .CD

#8 ·
CHIEF FIND THIS.
Chum

Team RFC

Team RFC Since: May 2003
Team RFC To: Jul 2007

Magnum rings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A while back there was a thread about problems with ruger integral rings. I was having a similar problem. When I first mounted my scope the gun was shooting 4' to the right at 75 yards. I had enough windage to adjust so I just left it and started shooting.

I pulled my 10/17 barrel the other day to give my Butler Creek 22 magnum barrel a try. This time I ran out of windage so I figured it was time to see what was wrong. I could see that the scope was not mounted straight and figured I must have one of the bad receivers. I pulled the scope and rings and noticed a shinny spot on the front base. When I inspected the rings I found a burr on the bottom of the ring where it meets the mount on the receiver.

After removing the burr and opticaly centering the scope I mounted everything back up. My first shot was dead center 4" low at 50 yards. After a few clicks to get on center I shot one of my best 5 shot groups ever. I wasn't expecting much from this BC barrel but With Rem 40 grain HP At 75 yards 4 shots in one hole and the 5th was just a bullet hole away from the others. It was probably just luck but it sure put a smile on my face.

#9 · (Edited)
Yeppers,

I did have an alignment problem with my 10/22 magnum. There was a burr on the bottom of one ring and also a large bump inside the ring where the scope mounts. My scope still wears the ding from it :mad: I just ground it off with a dremmel. I also had a very small amount of light between the base and ring from the burr. I am not sure which one fixed it but it sure did get fixed. I would check for light between the base and ring like Chief said. You might have the problem he is talking about. Then take everything apart and check your scope/rifle for marks. Make sure you wiggle the rings when you tighten the base screws back down. Good luck

#10 ·
Thanks alot for all the info guys I will try out everything you said and get back to ya on it. I'm still going to try it out on paper today first just to see if my boresighter might have been off or something. Thanks, Bigdog

#11 · (Edited)
Well guys I tried it out today from a bench at 50 yards and just like I thought, My boresighter was not wrong. I ran out of windage and elevation. It shot about 2' low and an inch to the right. I cranked them knobs for all she had and that is as close as I could get to center. Not to mention with the terrible trigger she still has, about and inch and a half group was the best I could get out of about 6 different groups. I only had one kind of ammo though, CCI MaxiMags. I can see now it's either new rings or a new scope or both:eek: My best bet would be on the scope though because I did get it used off ebay and you know sometimes you get what you pay for. Not to mention it did shoot great when it was stock with a cheapie scope on it but with the same rings. Before I shoot her again I'm getting another scope, gonna float the bbl on out do the trigger and bolt and maybe one of those Volquartsen bedding kits, you know the little thingie you put in after you drill the hole. I'm not good with technical terms lol. Anyways guys let me know what you think about my outcome and my plans for the gun. Thanks and I hope you have a great week, it's back to work tomorrow for me. Bigdog

p.s. I also went ahead and shot the new annie mod 64 mp I was talking about earlier that I haven't shot yet and after I got her zeroed in i shot several 5 shot groups at 0.313 and under useing federal Gold Metals and Wolf MT. I almost shat myself lol. that thing is a tack driver. The best I've ever shot. It was even a little windy. It was at 50 yards as well.

#12 ·
When you free float that barrel, you may also solve your problem, if the barrel was rubbing against the stock. Enough pressure on the left side will cause it to shoot to the right. If you can't slide a dollar bill down the side of the barrel on both sides, it is too tight. Open it uo so you can at least slide a business card down the length of the stock.

#13 ·
Thanks Ole, I definately can't fit a dollar or anything else between the stock and the bbl, it's tight as dicks hat band. That may be the problem for sure. Also I forgot to mention. I have put in a Titan extractor and it stove piped about 5 or6 times out of 50 shots. Is this the new extractor not right or what? the old extractor never gave trouble but I put a new one in due to advice from others. Also put in a yellow jacket bolt buffer. When it did throw them out it just barely fell right beside the gun. no distance at all. it seemed like maybe the bolt was to fast to let it get all the way out or something like that.

#14 ·
I can't tell you anything about the Titan Extractor or the Yellow Jacket Bolt Buffer, as I use only VQ extractors and Weapon Kraft buffers. Go back to what worked and change only one thing at a time. If it works, don't mess with it.

#15 ·
Thanks a whole bunch :bthumb: I don't know what I would do without my rimfire central friends. I sort of a loner around here as far as 10/22's goes so I don't really have to many people to help me out. I'm glad I found yall :D :D

#16 ·
Very good advice here. Bigdog I feel your pain. I was in the same exact boat a few years ago. Tried 2 different scopes and two different sets of Ruger rings before I figured out the integral bases were not milled right at the factory. Finally purchased a set of Burris rings with windage adjustment.........problem solved. Shouldn't have to go to these lengths, but Ruger refused to do anything about it as I had sent my bolt to Randy at CPC. Had nothing to do with the actual problem but of course they refuse to correct problems once their rifle is customized in any way. Too bad they can't get it right the first time........do I sound scorned????:mad: :D

#17 ·
I think I want to get a new set of rings for my 10/22 magnum. Can anyone give me a link to someplace I can buy a set of rings that are windage adjustable to fit the integral base that is made into the magnum receiver? I've looked at a slew of sites on rings and bases and for the life of me can't find a place that sells windage adjustable rings for this application. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that these were made but I just can't seem to find any. Thanks, Bigdog

#22 ·
Find out how many 'clicks' your scope has, in other words, how many inches it will adjust. If you don't know where it is at, take it all the way in one direction and then count the clicks back to zero. Both side to side and up and down. Your scope will then be back to 'zero'.

#23 · (Edited)
Now this is unusual, I'm begining to think it might be something wrong with the barrel now. I found the original scope I had on it when it was a stock gun and put it back on the gun. I took the gun completely out of the stock and it still won't zero in i have enough windage but about 2'' low on elevation????? could there be something wrong with the barrel, could this be another ebay ripoff? I bought the barrel used from ebay. I can put the factory barrel back on and there it is boresight with no problem and plenty of windage and elevation to spare? I don't understand this. Need advise. I could get the windage adjustable rings as advised but what about elevation? this barrel could be bent or something? I have no way of telling. Someone help me figure this thing out please, Bigdog

Nope, I take that back, I spoke to soon. I did put the factory barrel back on it and tried to boresite again and still ran out of elevation buy about 1/4 inch low or one line on the boresighter below center. What the @#$&@# is going on here. before I took this rifle down to start the build on it It shot fine and zeroed fine. what could have happend to it??????????

#24 ·
Did you check your rings. Chief Dave found that some rings may be bottomed out on the half moon part instead of sitting down flush and flat on the flat part of the action base. If this condition is there you can just grind some off the half moon tab of the rings to fix it. Look for a gap or light under the rings. Chief Dave found this flaw on more than one 10/22 magnum I believe. Keep us posted.

#25 ·
there are a number of tolerances that come into play that line up the bore with the reciever...... how the barrel shoulder, notch length/depth, reciever extension length, vblock shape, etc...... a change in any of these, like a new barrel, will effect how it mounts on the reciever....

with vblock removed, try wiggling the barrel in the reciever....if you can feel any movement at all, you'd probably get alot of improvement from a modded vblock...(see stickies, or shooter's solution for skeeter's modded blocks).... this helps make up for the large tolerances in the barrel mounting...

i'd check to make sure there is nothing in the stock inletting that could cause the reciever to not seat fully when installed....this could change how the barrel sits on a front pressure point in the stock.....

i think burris makes some rings with an adjustable insert that will compensated for this problem, as a last resort

keep us posted
cletus

#26 ·
Ok guys one last problem. I've done everything under the sun to fix this scope problem. checked for burs in the rings and bases checked for ring clearance and to see if I needed to file down the half moons on the rings and didn't. I've tried 3 different scopes. I tried the weaver style rail and that just made my elevation that much worse. Now this is what I have acomplished. I relieved some wood in the barrel channel and have now got my windage back. the stock was pushing on the barrel on the left side so I took that away and got my windage back now I just don't have enough elevation. Also one thing I've failed to mention is that when I place the barrel in the receiver before the v block is tightened down the thing is just sloppy loose. side to side and up and down kind of like just flopping around. far looser than the stock barrel could ever be. now I don't know if this has anything to do with anything because once I tighten down the v block, I can detect no movement at all. What I was wondering was. can I grind off the factory bases that are made into the receiver and have it drilled and tapped for a regular base or should I have the barrel drilled and tapped for a VQ style barrel mount that comes out over the receiver? then the scope would be right with the barrel? Opinions please LOL. Thanks to all who have hung in there with me through this difficult time. Bigdog:bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.