Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Magnum scope problems

2K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  Chum 
#1 ·
I'll tell ya guys, I've been posting more troubles with my magnum than any one person should here lately but here's another. Just got the gun put together today minus the trigger job I wanted to have done. Just decided to go ahead and put her together and shoot a little. I bought a scope the other day from ebay. It was a used tasco target 6x24x44. Seemed nice enough. Put it on the magnum today, got her lined up and tightened it down. Put my bore sighter on the gun like I have a hundred times with no trouble. Looked through the scope and lined up the elevation. Then I started lineing up the windage and dangit all:mad: I went as far left as I could go and ran out. I needed to go a few lines further. I swithed the rings around and everything and still the same problem. The scope I had on it when it was a stock gun worked and lined up fine????? Now this particular magnum is the one with the built in bases. I mean the rings come with the gun and they go directly onto the receiver by way of some kind of molded in bases ruger had for a while or may still have I don't know. I'm kinda po'd at the moment. So do yall think it's the scope or something else. I don't know what else to try. HELP

#28 ·
yeah buddy, I sure have. tried 3 different scopes and with the factory barrel as well. I don't know what else to do besides what I mentioned. it may have been off all along. When I bought this rifle, it was from the first lot that walmart had when they first came out a few years ago. I came home and put a cheap scope on it and shot it about 20 or 30 times. it has been sitting in my safe ever since until now when I decided to build it. I can't remember if I tried to zero it in when i got it or just shot a few times and put it away. anyhow like I said, I have windage correct now just don't have enough elevation. it's about 1 to 2 inches low at 50 yards right under the bullseye. Thanks man you have been a big help to me. Bigdog

#29 · (Edited)
The barrel shank spec is .686" +/- .001"

You could check to see which part is loose. Either barrel shank or action hole.

If the barrel fit is really sloppy you could try to put a feeler guage on the action shelf to help support and shim up the barrel.

There are also modified v blocks that can help raise the barrel tilt.

If all else fails the burris signature zee rings and the offset inserts can also be used to fix elevation allignment as well as windage. I would not go as far as altering the integral mounts.

#30 · (Edited)
where can I get a modified v block and how much are they? I am a poor boy until I recover from christmas. went a little hog wild on those 2 boys of mine LOL. Maby that's what I need to give the bbl a little more upwards tilt. Bigdog

Ok, just checked and the barrel shank dia. is .686 and receiver hole is .688. Are these acceptable tolerances for barrel to receiver fit? Bigdog

#33 ·
.GOOD idea.....if you want to ruin your scope, that is. Shimming the scope is the LAST thing this guy needs to try.

IMHO, (after your finances recover - I feel your pain):

1. I think you have barrel droop. Buy or make a modified v-block to correct this.
2. Get a set of the Burris Ruger-to-Weaver adapters, Burris Signature Zee rings and a set of Burris offset adapters, as Chum recommended. Read up on how the Burris system works. Apply as required.

I believe your problem will be solved.

#34 ·
Chief Says "

Yes , sounds like a good time to use thin metal shim . Place it in the rear ring between the scope and ring base . This will cant the scope downward in the front allowing more elevation.
I have been in this situation more than once , Buy the windage adjustable rings , then find elevation is off too . just add shim = fixed.

#36 ·
Chief Says "

Yes , sounds like a good time to use thin metal shim . Place it in the rear ring between the scope and ring base . This will cant the scope downward in the front allowing more elevation.
I have been in this situation more than once , Buy the windage adjustable rings , then find elevation is off too . just add shim = fixed.
This is a very new experience for me: I am in a position where I can't help but totally disagree with the Chief.

I am of the considered opinion that shimming, ESPECIALLY shimming between the scope and the ring, is a VERY bad idea. I think that, unless you have a BSA scope and don't care, OR you shim under the base itself (NOT between the ring and the scope) and THEN lap the rings, you are almost guaranteed to at least mark the scope and possibly damage it for good. I feel the same way about the windage-adjustable rings, for the same reason: A scope in it's rings is nothing more than a long, rigid tube, held in two short, rigid tubes. As long as they are in perfect alignment, no problem; no marks, no stress. Start to pry on one end of the long tube with a shim (think: this is what you are doing) and sooner or later, something is going to mark, bind, or kink.

The Burris Signature system holds the scope in two polymer inserts, which have spherical outer diameters. They fit in rings that have spherical inner diameters. Think of them as a couple of ball joints. By buying the offset inserts, which come in various "thicknesses" of offset, you can offset the front or rear of the scope to the left or right, up or down, even at angles if necessary, to adjust for misalignments in the mounts, rifle, etc. No stress on the scope. No marks, binding or kinks. What is not to like (except the cost, of course)?

#35 ·
Thanks guys for all the wonderful ideas. You've been very helpful. I will get on it as soon as I can and report back with the results. Hopefully I will get a good shooter out of all this effort. I have been seriously thinking about just getting a .17 magnum barrel and going that route but I don't know yet. At any rate I think I do need the mod. V Block for sure, Don't know if I will try to make one or just buy one. I hope everyone of you and your family have a very merry christmas:star: and a happy new year. Bigdog

#37 ·
Dang! Chief!!

You forget how "tricky" it is to mount those rings?

A little touch of oil and a little "jiggling", while tightening the clamp screw, to get the rings to seat fully.......

They'll mount perfectly.

I've had T-36's.......Leups.........Nikons...... on my MAAGGNNUUMM and never had a problem.

ski

#40 · (Edited)
Hi Ski """" glad your still here/

NAW I use the shim trick , just to see how far the elevation is off , then resort to other means for a permanent fix. DONT WANT any scratches or undue pressure on my scope tubes.
Shim , measure , mill out your own ring height or just buy different rings.

OOPS , forgot to say , " the present 17HMR WORLD RECORD (.059) was shot with a shimmed scoperings."

#41 ·
Well guys, thanks to all your opinions and suggestions, and after alot of work and cussing. Tonight at about midnight I finally got the scope to where it would boresite in with plenty of windage and elevation to spare either way. I put on a windage adjustable base. Millet rings and yes I did have to shim the rear ring. But I didn't use metal. I used 2 thin pieces of cardboard and it worked. Of corse I put them in and tightened up the rear ring first to compress them so that I wouldn't have to worry about them compressing down later on and throwing me off again. Then I loosened the ring back up and tightened up the front ring then the rear again. By my boresighter, she's on the money and I have a few inches to spare in all directions, which I will need because the boresighter is not always perfect and some final adjustments will need to be made. Now I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch because I still have to hit the range tomorrow pending good weather, but all in all I'm a heck of alot closer than I was before. I was ready to throw this thing out there and sell it to the highest bidder. I still may change it to a 17hmr in the future. I got my trigger done by a member on here and got it back the day after christmas and it is a clean crisp 1 lb 13 oz's and I like it alot. Now she's ready. I'll let you all know how she did if I can get on the range tomorrow. thanks again for all your help and support. I would have wrapped it around a tree by now if it wern't for all of you. Thanks and happy holidays, Bigdog

#42 ·
I guess I've been extremely lucky with my scope/mounts/ring/rifle combinations.

One project that I gave up on was trying to use MMAAGGNNUUMM rings on my .22LR.

Just couldn't get those Talley conversion base pieces to work right.

Solution? Instead of trying to swap scopes between LR & WMR 10/22s......
Just bought another scope and went Weaver base for the LR.

Yup. Still here Chief. Good ta see you guys, too.

(p.s. Chief),

Picked up a few new real sweet items. Les Baer, RRA, Benelli.

Later,

ski

#43 ·
ok, I've just got to where they will let me attach pictures and I've tried to put up pictures of this 22 mag i've fineally got done but when I go to attachments and find the pic's on my computer and hit upload it just takes forever then doesent do anything. Can anyone tell me how to do it ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.