Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger 10/22Mag - Questions & Rant.

3K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  outlawsix 
#1 ·
Bought a 10/22 Magnum years ago. Shot great but it suffered from the outer extractor blowing off. Maybe shot around 300-400 rounds through it but after the 2nd time of the extractor blowing off I quit shooting it. Finally gave up on it and ended up getting a Savage 93R17. Well now I have a 10/22 Magnum that I don't want and that the extractor needs to be fixed. Ruger won't send me a extractor - they want me to send it in. Can I get a aftermarket extractor, and is it easy to fix for a novice?

I read that another poster sent his in and they were going to send him a 77/22Mag. Is this what Ruger does as a fix?

Really just want to get it fixed and then sell it to generate cash towards other projects. Are 10/22Mags selling well, and what is the average asking price?

Really kicking myself for trading off the Ruger 96/22Mag I had before it.

Thanks.

#27 ·
I received a Ruger KMini-14 Ranch Rifle that had the machined mounts so far off center you couldnt adjust the scope far enough. Returned it to Ruger and they fixed it. Looked like they remachined the mounts or made a NEW receiver with the same seriel #. No matter what they did the scope mounted perfect.

Ruger is more concerned about law suits then fixing guns that open them up to a law suit if it malfunctions. I am not sure if the problems are because .22mag was converted to .17HMR or if the same things are happening to then in stock configuration in .22mag. I do know of a couple that were converted and broke and changed back so they could be returned for warranty. Since Ruger doesn't know for sure and it may be happening to both stock and converted .17HMRs they probably decided it was easier to redesign the whole thing then keep replacing parts and risking someone getting hurt. The offer they made Chum was a excellent offer and he really did trade up so there really is no complaint and I bet when the 1-/22 Magnum comes back it will be greatly improved.

#28 ·
Dana944T said:
Notto nitpick..
But if Ruger no longer sells the 10/22 Magnum, why do they still list it as a current firearm?
It is near the bottom of that page with a MSRP of $536.
Is it that Ruger no longer makes it or is it that no-one stocks it?

-Dana
YEP! Saw that!
Look at the the 2006 Ruger printed catalog! Yes, the Magnum is listed, and yet (per my phone conversation with RUGER) they haven't been in production for two years. I showed the printed catalog to a salesman I know at a large local shop here (a Scheels store). We had a good laugh about it! :D

#29 ·
Dakotan said:
YEP! Saw that!
Look at the the 2006 Ruger printed catalog! Yes, the Magnum is listed, and yet (per my phone conversation with RUGER) they haven't been in production for two years. I showed the printed catalog to a salesman I know at a large local shop here (a Scheels store). We had a good laugh about it! :D
When I talked to a Ruger engineer at teh Shot Show he would NOT commit to when they will come out but he did say they were working on it. Remember, last year Ruger also did a complete retool of their machines and had major problems so i am sure that slowed a lot of things down. Ruger revolvers have been very hard to get but stuff from the AZ plant has been plentiful. I do ahve to say, that until the .17HMR came out I didn't sell all that many 10/22 Magnums so I bet they are putting the bigger sellers first. Anyone waiting for some of the NEW Vaqueros knows there have been production problems.

#31 ·
My bolt had a discolored area on the crack line indicating it had been cracked before it broke. My Dad who is retired from GM making connecting rods told me that it was probably a crack that happened when the bolt was hardened. Since the metal is thin there it would be the most likely spot to crack when quenched. If you guys don't see a crack I dont think there is much to worry about. My bolt must have just slipped through quality control. Enjoy your magnums. I am jealous :(

#34 ·
outlawsix said:
Just thinking. Has anyone ever filled in the extra extractor slot. With say JB weld or soemthing along those lines? Thinking real hard about doing it.
Sure seems like it would be worth a try. I would let it cure for a long time and even hit it with heat once it sets. After all, you cen always buy a VC bolt.

#35 ·
Just as a percaution I'm doing it. Have it degreased as we speak. Will rough up the inside with some little files I have handy. Will then mix up some JB weld. Put it in some littel synringes I use for bedding. And give it a go.

Not sure about applying heat afterwards though. I mean once it sets. It's done. So won't apply any heat other than shooting it. Will let it set for at least a week. Probably don't need to. Just will while I wait on my scope to come back from Burris.

Shouldn't see any changes in performance. But just may help in the long run. No need having the gap there. Never will use the inside extractor again.

#36 ·
I am not talking about a lot of heat. JB is a heat cure material. Once it starts to set (from heat generated) you actually don't want to ge it to hot or it will get brittle. After is has set a low heat will provide heat transfer to the outer surfaces for a better bond. If the metal is warm to the touch when JB is applied it will help hold the heat in the JB for a more even and through cure. Also, the heat will expand the metal and JB slightly to fill in any pores for a better bond.

#37 ·
Roger on that. I had set the bolt out in the sun to warm up prior to application. The whole bolt is nice and warm now. Will leave it out in the sun until sunset. Then will bring it in and leave it alone for a while.

I thought the other post was lost. I had just sent post when the power died. So decided to go swimming. I hate the summer. Give me winter anytime.

#38 ·
Well brought it in. JB is hard. Not hard enough to shoot yet though.

Went ahead and dressed off the excess JB on the bolt. Got every thing nice and smooth. Made sure that the bolt face is clean and flat. Put the bolt back together then reassembled the rifle. Put it in the safe. Figure by the time I get around to shooting it again. Everything will be hard.

It may not add any strength to it at all. But now I have a warm and fuzzy feeling after finding the crack. What amazes me is the metal is so thin. I'd be surprised if they all aren't cracked in this area.

#42 ·
Dana944T said:
Notto nitpick..

But if Ruger no longer sells the 10/22 Magnum, why do they still list it as a current firearm?
My guess is that they're sitting on the fence and deciding if they want to do another production run. As has been said, they've been going through some manufacturing shake-ups and might be in the process of deciding how they want to proceed. Still, it wouldn't take much to update the website and show that it isn't currently in production. I thought we were living in the Information Age...

#43 ·
I just finished detail cleaning my as NIB Magnum and by the sounds of things here I have the only UNCRACKED :)eek: ) Dual-Extractor 10/22 Magnum bolt in captivity! :yippee:
I hope to God the NEW MODEL (should they choose to produce one) Ruger 10/22 Magnum I get will present no such issues. :shakehead

Whew! - Dakotan

#45 ·
outlawsix said:
I'm curious as to over time if it will crack? If you would every 100 rounds check it out and let us know please. Would be real interested in finding out if this is part of the fatal flaw.
As I mentioned early in the thread, I'm cutting my losses now, and either selling or trading my Magnum, and the other stuff I have for the project. If the gun was finished or mostly finished, I'd probably just get a VQ Bolt, but it's at the very beginning and I just don't want to stick this much (more) $$ into a gun with no parts support that I can't count on.
I'm convinced that the Secondary Extractor is the "fatal flaw" in the Magnum. You lose SO much metal and structural integrity in the bolt that it's just begging to snap. It's no coincidence that that's where all the problems are occurring. :shakehead
Life sucks then you get another gun! ;) - Dakotan

#46 ·
I sure hope this broken bolt thing is not inevitable on double extractor models! I just finished mine this morning. I bought mine in a pawn shop in very much used condition. It looked like it spent all it's life behind or under the seat of someone's pickup. The bolt retaining pin was broken, and I replaced it with a Weaponkraft buffer, removed the inner extractor and put a vq extractor on the other side. I bought a GM seconds 20" stainless from Clint for $22 shipped and a dual grip tigerwood stock from Richard's, a vq target hammer, and a 6x24x50 Swift Premier. I'm glad I did this project before reading this thread, because this thing is a very good shooter and functions perfectly. If it ever breaks, guess I'll have to spend the $$ for a vq bolt, as it has quickly become my favorite rimfire.

#48 ·
82bandit said:
Oh boy, I've been reading these threads long enough to know that if Dakotan is washing his hands of the ruger 10/22 mag, we all better do some hard thinking...............life does suck sometimes, glad I have just minor money in mine so far.......
Well, I'm a long way from being a "Magnum Guru". And I still think that the 10/22 Magnum is basically a good gun. If mine had been a Single Extractor model I probably would have proceeded with my project as planned. Shoot, the gents here had it's "issues" figured out (for the most part) by 2000.… and those guns are still going strong!
It's my opinion that Ruger royally hosed up that gun when they added the second extractor, and the "pin"-point Firing Pin.
Either nobody at Ruger noticed or nobody had the testicular fortitude to mention what was so obvious. These two moves (1) weakened the bolt SEVERELY, and (2) made ignition failures almost inevitable within the first 1000 rounds.
What pushed me over the edge was mainly the 3 phone calls to Ruger Service, Parts, and Sales who all made it QUITE clear that there would be NO service support whatsoever if something went wrong.
I was going to be well into decent AR-15 money and crazy hours by the time I was done with this gun and didn't want to drop ANOTHER $250 on a VQ Bolt on top of that! No thanks. :shakehead
…….By the way, is anybody in the market for a NIB Plain Blue Adams & Bennett Magnum barrel, and a Revival Tundra stock all prepped for bedding? :D

Take Care! - Dakotan

#50 ·
10/22magnum bolt fix

Could this (crack and extractor slot, either or both) be tig welded and reshaped and then reheat-treated? I'm no metallurgist but I'm thinking it might be done if there is room to weld on it. Shoot you could even grind it out a little to make it take the weld deeper. A welding artist ought to be able to do this, like someone who welds belt buckles or something. With all the talent I've witnessed on this board I wouldn't think this would be too big a problem! JMO lp

#51 ·
hogwire said:
Could this (crack and extractor slot, either or both) be tig welded and reshaped and then reheat-treated? I'm no metallurgist but I'm thinking it might be done if there is room to weld on it. Shoot you could even grind it out a little to make it take the weld deeper. A welding artist ought to be able to do this, like someone who welds belt buckles or something. With all the talent I've witnessed on this board I wouldn't think this would be too big a problem! JMO lp
I am sure you are correct. I could not do it but know people that could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.