Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger 10/22Mag - Questions & Rant.

3K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  outlawsix 
#1 ·
Bought a 10/22 Magnum years ago. Shot great but it suffered from the outer extractor blowing off. Maybe shot around 300-400 rounds through it but after the 2nd time of the extractor blowing off I quit shooting it. Finally gave up on it and ended up getting a Savage 93R17. Well now I have a 10/22 Magnum that I don't want and that the extractor needs to be fixed. Ruger won't send me a extractor - they want me to send it in. Can I get a aftermarket extractor, and is it easy to fix for a novice?

I read that another poster sent his in and they were going to send him a 77/22Mag. Is this what Ruger does as a fix?

Really just want to get it fixed and then sell it to generate cash towards other projects. Are 10/22Mags selling well, and what is the average asking price?

Really kicking myself for trading off the Ruger 96/22Mag I had before it.

Thanks.

#2 ·
You can replace the extractor yourself with a Volquarsten extractor...pretty easy.

Ruger isn't making the magnum anymore so they will trade you a rifle of equal value, it's your choice.

The magnums are in demand...put it up on RFC for a good price and it will sell. $350 - $400

#4 ·
You might also try adding a shim to the rear of the extractor

If this is a single extractor model just don't pay me any attention, if it's a dual extractor ...

If you have adual extractor model, remove the inside extractor, because when the inside extractor comes out (just like teh outside one can) it has no where to go, and will destroy your bolt.... no replacement, not even by ruger, VQ offers one in the 250-300 smakers price range. te inside extractor is not needed if the correct (VQ) extractor is used on the outside

Clint

#5 ·
Halfneck said:
Bought a 10/22 Magnum years ago. Shot great but it suffered from the outer extractor blowing off. Maybe shot around 300-400 rounds through it but after the 2nd time of the extractor blowing off I quit shooting it. Finally gave up on it and ended up getting a Savage 93R17. Well now I have a 10/22 Magnum that I don't want and that the extractor needs to be fixed. Ruger won't send me a extractor - they want me to send it in. Can I get a aftermarket extractor, and is it easy to fix for a novice?

I read that another poster sent his in and they were going to send him a 77/22Mag. Is this what Ruger does as a fix?

Really just want to get it fixed and then sell it to generate cash towards other projects. Are 10/22Mags selling well, and what is the average asking price?
Thanks.
I hate to say it, but this is about where I am, too.
I REALLY wanted to build up a Mag, and I have a stock, dual extractor model sitting here basically NIB (fired 27 rounds to check function) with the scope rings, 2 spare mags, and my Buffer System, and Socket Head TD screw installed, along with a bunch of ammo of various types.
To make matters worse there's a brand new .920" Adams & Bennett barrel (with the shank already fitted to this receiver), and a Fajen thumbhole Sporter stock that's partially prepped for final bedding sitting in the shop, too!
I'd REALLY like to keep this gun, but if it ever blows chunks and there are no parts available for it, what's the point? I'm about ready to sell the whole shebang and build something else!
And, as I told Ruger when I called them about my concerns, "If I had wanted a 77/22 I would have bought one in the first place!" Lots of silence followed that statement! :rolleyes:

I just can't believe Ruger's "We don't give a rodent's posterior" attitude lately! :mad:
No support for the Mag?
No support for the MKII? Which REALLY blew me away when the lady at Ruger told me that! They've made that pistol for how many DECADES?! And now, a year or so after introducing the MKIII, no service available?

Hmmm...... I think I may have just convinced myself to sell my Mag and associated "stuff". :(

- Dakotan

#7 ·
That's what the lady at Ruger Service told me, TTT.
I repeated back to her, "The Mark TWO? Are you SURE that's the model?" She answered, "Yes, the Mark Two."
I was hoping she meant the MKI, but...?????????

Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm wrong!
I was kind of thinking about a Slabside Target Model. :(

#9 ·
I have a 10/22Mag which has been my night varmint hunter for seven years now, went back to the factory and got the second "extractor" which is really a guide, and still shoots 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards. However, it doesn't get the number of rounds through it, so that may explain why I've had no trouble with it. It's only mod is the VQ primary extractor and spring.

I had serious concerns about Ruger when I read that Bill Ruger Jr. was resigning as CEO, and the daughter was selling off all her stock and getting out. I suspect that they were the ones who had their dad's values and ideals. Sad to see, but I know first hand that that's where Corporate America is today, all about the bottom line, no regard for the people.

Guess I'll keep using my magnum as long as it does its job, but when it doesn't, I guess I'll switch over to some other manufacturer. Sad, indeed.

eljay

#11 ·
Not sure myself either. I had installed a Magnum Research CF Bull Barrel and Hogue OM stock. I had assumed that maybe the chambers on the barrel were too tight and causing the problem. After reading about extractors coming off on this forum I'm chalking it up to design flaw.

#13 ·
Halfneck said:
Not sure myself either. I had installed a Magnum Research CF Bull Barrel and Hogue OM stock. I had assumed that maybe the chambers on the barrel were too tight and causing the problem. After reading about extractors coming off on this forum I'm chalking it up to design flaw.
I've posted this several times but when my extractor popped out twice during the same range session I found a cure for mine. Like Clint mentioned, putting a spacer under the extractor spring and plunger fixed the problem. What is happening is the when rearward movement of the bolt is stopped the extractor keeps going. If the spring underneath it isn't strong enough, the extractor will move far enough rearward that it can fall out. If you try stretching the spring it will recompress to its original length. By adding a spacer the spring is compressed and is stronger. The stronger spring also helps eliminate stovepipe jams. YMMV!

#14 ·
I'M WRONG AND VERY HAPPY ABOUT IT!:t

I just got off the phone with Ruger's Prescott, AZ facility and they just told me that it's the MKI that's no longer serviced, NOT THE MK II!

It still sucks about the 10/22 Magnum, but at least there's some good news from Ruger. :D

Take Care! - Dakotan

#16 · (Edited)
Enough of the headaches with Ruger, VQ make a superior bolt you just got to fork out the bucks............https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//pages/public/ListItems.jsp?id=29
I'm in the process of building a 10/17mag from just a reciever, i'll see how long the stock single extractor lasts once i start cycling rounds through it if i have problems with the extractor, modifications are an option or just spring for a new bolt

Rob

#17 ·
AK said:
Dakotan, I think you should try that rifle before writing it off. I love my magnum rifles and haven't had any problems.
Oh, I've tried it AK (only 3 magazines worth, but I've tried it), and it was totally reliable with the 3 types of ammo I tried, and shot well. Dynapoints, CCI TNTs, and Maxi-Mags all worked perfectly. :t
I just wanted to function test it, but had no trouble knocking corn off the stalks at 40 (?) yards with open sights, right out of the box.

The thing is, I wanted to do a MAJOR build on it, (and I mean nearly a "why didn't you just buy a Volquartsen?" build) and was intent on putting a fairly serious number of rounds through it after it was built. This was going to be a very nice Magnum, AK!
I simply don't want to sink that much money and time (especially time) into a gun that has no parts support right now or in the foreseeable future.
Naturally I have one of the dual extractor models!:shakehead
If I had a single ext. Bolt (which I personally believe has more structural integrity) I might be keeping it.
I REALLY wanted to build it, and already have a good bit of time into the project and I'm bummed out about it. But MAN.... these bolts seem to be eating themselves at less than 1000 rounds, and the only real fix is the $250 VQ replacement that TreeShooter mentions. To top that off, if there's receiver damage, it's "game over"!
I could build a nice AR for what I'd end up having into that one by the time it was finished, and still have an almost irreplaceable receiver. :eek:
If and when Ruger gets the "bugs" :)shakehead ) out and introduces the 10/22 Magnum again, I'm sure that I'll just have to have the first one on my block! :D
In the mean time, look for what turns out to be a bunch of Magnum parts in the trading post soon. :sad:
Haven't decided if I want to sell the As NIB gun outright or do a trade in on something at my favorite gun shop. Decisions, decisions. Dang. :(

Take Care! - Dakotan

#18 ·
Dakotan,

Take a look at the bottom of your bolt. Look in the EJECTOR groove. Does the hole that is drilled through the side of the bolt for the second extractor leave a hole showing on the bottom of the bolt? Mine did. Maybe it was in the wrong spot which weakened the bolt.

It still pains me to think that my 10/22 magnum is gone. It was the best shooting rifle I have ever owned. If I could find another one for the $330 I paid new I would jump on it. Not much chance of that. I have not got my replacement rifle yet. I hope it gets here soon. It would be nice if they would at least call me and let me know it is coming or something. I told them I already own a 77/22. They said I could choose any 77. I picked an international in .270. I think that is a **** good trade. It just better get here before the new 10/22 magnums are out. Ruger has done good in my book. My only complaint is how slow the whole process is and the lack of communication. I guess that goes with the territory of big business.

Hey on a side note Ruger started making 96/17s again. The first batch shipped this week. I think I will try one while I wait for the new 10/22 magnums.

#19 ·
This really sucks.

I have one that I put a Chief dave 17 bbl in and never got to shoot it because I didn't finish the stock. I bought a stock the other day and have been finishing it off. I had a problem with the mounts being WAY out of alignment. I bought a Weigand mount and Zee rings. The Zee rings were too tight...and they gouged out the mount. I threw the whole contraption in the trash and ordered another Wiegand mount and last night I tried another set of Zee rings. They were too tight. I heated the flang and was able to spread it a touch. then I took a Dremel and touched up the bottom of the rings so they would go on there.

Even with -20/+20 inserts in the rings sideways, the thing is still wayyyyy out of line.

I guess I am just screwed then.

Anybdoy got any ideas for help?

#20 · (Edited)
Moorespeedr said:
This really sucks.

I have one that I put a Chief dave 17 bbl in and never got to shoot it because I didn't finish the stock. I bought a stock the other day and have been finishing it off. I had a problem with the mounts being WAY out of alignment. I bought a Weigand mount and Zee rings. The Zee rings were too tight...and they gouged out the mount. I threw the whole contraption in the trash and ordered another Wiegand mount and last night I tried another set of Zee rings. They were too tight. I heated the flang and was able to spread it a touch. then I took a Dremel and touched up the bottom of the rings so they would go on there.

Even with -20/+20 inserts in the rings sideways, the thing is still wayyyyy out of line.

I guess I am just screwed then.

Anybdoy got any ideas for help?
Have you tried reversing one of the rings to see if that would change the alignment? Especilly since you had to spread them out so much.

Or you could just send the whole thing to me and I'll take it off your hands. :D

#21 ·
Chum said:
Dakotan,

Take a look at the bottom of your bolt. Look in the EJECTOR groove. Does the hole that is drilled through the side of the bolt for the second extractor leave a hole showing on the bottom of the bolt? Mine did. Maybe it was in the wrong spot which weakened the bolt.
I just took another look at my bolt, Chum. Danged if it isn't exactly as you describe, complete with the hole, and a wonderful view of the bottom of the secondary "extractor".

It isn't even a "clean" hole (ie, a bit jagged, not symmetrical) and looks to me like it wasn't really supposed to be there in the first place.
Is anyone else seeing the same thing on their dual-extractor bolt?

Wow. This isn't instilling me with a lot of faith in this gun.

- Dakotan

#22 ·
I can see where your coming from Dakotan, my rifles have the single extractor and so far I'm not worried about any breakage. The rifle in the picture below is a used rifle that I converted to 17HMR and I have done a bit of tinkering with it. So far I have put about 500rnds of 22 mag ammo mostly the Federal 50gr stuff and now with the 17 barrel it has almost 1000 rnds of HMR through it.

I think a VQ rifle is going to be more accurate but I had fun slapping this rifle together and with everything added up it's about a $700 build.

Dakotan, I'm sure if you put it up for sale here someone would buy it.

#23 ·
cjsdad said:
Have you tried reversing one of the rings to see if that would change the alignment? Especilly since you had to spread them out so much.

Or you could just send the whole thing to me and I'll take it off your hands. :D
I am using the Zee rings with the offset inserts already set at +20/-20 turned on their side...both front and rear (opposite). I had to spread the little catch at the bottom, but it won't matter. You should see how far off the weigand mount is pointing.

Anybody know a smith that fixes these suckers? lol

Dakotan, sombody will buy it. I need your receiver, or you need my bolt. lol

#24 ·
Dakotan said:
I just took another look at my bolt, Chum. Danged if it isn't exactly as you describe, complete with the hole, and a wonderful view of the bottom of the secondary "extractor".

It isn't even a "clean" hole (ie, a bit jagged, not symmetrical) and looks to me like it wasn't really supposed to be there in the first place.
Is anyone else seeing the same thing on their dual-extractor bolt?

Wow. This isn't instilling me with a lot of faith in this gun.

- Dakotan
i just looked at mine and ill be dammed if i don't have the same thing with mine...well when mine goes to poo ill just buy the magnum bolt from VQ .all the time and money i have in this one whats 250 more.....adam :shakehead

#26 ·
That's just Rugers way I reckon on stil listing it

I don't see any problem with the hole on the inside extractor slots at all, just don't use the inside extractor, you don't need it, even if it did not have a hole it would wreck the bolt if(really when) the inside extractor came out, use a VQ extractor on outside

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.