Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How many "true" Maggits are left?

6K views 151 replies 40 participants last post by  Rugerforme 
#1 · (Edited)
The Magnum Master is baaaaaaaaack!!

How many of us "Maggits" are here? Stand up and be recognised. Tell me what ya got and whatcha shootin' outta it.

Maggit: (noun). True-blue lover of the ONLY Magnum Rimfire cartridge that matters. The .22WMR.

Allow me to introduce myself to the newbies of RFC.

I am "ski".

I've been around since "Giz's 10/22 Forum".

I was the first to own a Ruger 10/22 MAAGGNNUUMM when they were introduced in 1999 and had to fight for a place in the forum with the .22LR crowd.

Just to shut me up, they gave me this Magnum Forum.

When the .17hmr was introduced, we lost many good people to it's tiny promises.

The WMR still rules!!

And I'm BAAAAACK!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

p.s. My MAAGGNNUUMM rifle of choice is my Volquartsen Custom Deluxe with the Weaver T36 and Remington Premier Ballistic tips.

See less See more
#103 ·
Technically the extractor is for extracting unfired rounds.

As allready mentioned the main ejector is built into the magazine. There is also one in the trigger group incase your magazine is not in the action.

Your rifle "should" eject fired rounds without an extractor installed. If it does not eject fired rounds there is likely a rough chamber. For some strange reason a VQ extractor does cure most problems with 10/17 stovepipes. The 10/17 seemed to me to be more prone to stovepipes.

#104 · (Edited)
Rico, if memory serves, I used about 1/8 in. Again, if memory serves the extractor plunger is .131 in. dia. and I think the spacer was only slightly longer than it is around. I compressed the plunger to see how far below it needed to go to install the extractor and estimated the length so it would barely allow the extractor to be installed. ******* enginering!

The result should be stronger retention of the fired case to the bolt face and more energetic ejection of the spent case.

Chum, I know the extractor is not for removing the fired round from the chamber but have you ever looked closely at the rim of a fired .17HMR round? You might see a mark on the rim from the extractor! I beleive this could also be the cause of ruptured case heads in the .17HMR conversions.

When the trigger is pulled the firing pin slams into the rim of the cartridge and causes ignition. The case and case mouth expand from the pressures to grip the chamber walls as the hot gasses propell the bullet headlong down the bore of the barrel. As this is happening the gasses are also pushing on the casehead and in some cases mushrooming it. This is enough force to get the bolt moving and if the bolt moves far and fast enough the extractor will catch on the case head before the case lets go of the chamber. If the forces involved are great enough, and the extractor is sharp enough (VQ EE Extractor for example) it could tear the case head off! Bad JuJu! I get marks on my fired cases and I am still using my dull ol' factory extractor! YMMV!

#105 ·
cjsdad,

thanks for the info. figured that 1/8" would be enuff.

fwiw, when using the .17m2 conversion, using 4 diff types of ammo and about 600 rounds, never had a prob with ejecting, ftf, ruptured cases, etc.
might be the "obese" bolt handle.

thanks again,

rico............

#106 ·
cjsdad

Very good points indeed. I have noticed the marks your are talking about. I kinda figured that was happening when the fired case reaches the ejector and the extarctor hooks the rim and gives it a kick out. This is just my theory of coarse.

#109 ·
You guys are killin' me LOL

My fun meter is pegged from following this thread! Looks like you're at least a volunteer deputy rifle-man. I think you have to take an oath with your right hand raised and your left hand on a 10/22 maaaagnum before you are ooooooofishul, though. :D

DRob

#110 ·
ski said:
F'n A.....!!!!!!!

"Have IQs suddenly dropped since I've been Gone?????"

CJ....Exit....Ricochet....chum....

Was I talkin' to YOU!!!!!?????

:shakehead

No wonder everybody left!!!!

:mad: :mad:
I think the extractor problem could be a major safety issue so I will speak the dreaded and forbidden .17 language even here in the sight of Allmighty SKI if it helps someone!

Besides, you are the one that caused my MAAAGNUUUUM addiction anyway!

#111 ·
Greetings From a Newbie

I just heard about this site, new to the forum thing, not to .22 mag, I got an early 10/22 mag and have loved every minute of it, I believe 10/22's should be issued at birth, IMO, and I'm here to learn more about the great and wonderful world of rimfire shooting. This does not mean I'm giving up on centerfire shooting though, just keeping sharp on the most FUN of ALL calibers.:Blasting_ .22's and golf balls, pistol or rifle, set them out in front about 10 yards and send them!!!!!!! 10/22 is the best tool for that job, or the 22/45, try it, lots of fun, just remember to shoot safe.
MY 10/22 MAG wears a 3x9x40 and is lot's of fun, likes PMC 40grn JHP, CCI any, haven't tried too much of the exotic stuff, open for ideas and advice, that's why I'm here. So Howdy all and hope to enjoy the forum and learn a few things too. curt10/22:snipersmi

#112 ·
Chief Says : Hey SKI how ya doin ,?? Still south or moved elseware ?

I dont drop in too much anymore , ya know = old = blind - need classes and benchrest training for the elderly .

Glad to see ya back . Made one of those 10-22 magnums " quiet ".
BWAHahhhh!!
CD

#113 ·
Good ta "see" ya Chief!

It's been awhile since we "conversed".

Yeh, still in Springfield..... (sigh)

Need some more "Gherkins"???

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Whatcha think 'bouts all these "newbies"? Pathetic, ain't they?

10-4 on the "old, blind".......

ski

#115 ·
Welcome Curt

Welcome Curt. My first suggestion would be lock up the checkbook. My orientation here was extremely informative but caused money to be replaced by newer, better parts and, in short order, additional 10/22s. I just picked up a single extractor model maaaagnum (no the "a" is not sticking, that's how you say the word) myself and was immediately reminded that 10/22 ownership combined with lurking on RFC sends you directly to ordering parts. So...... I haven't even fired the danged thing yet and it has had, hammer, recoil buffer, stock, barrel, magazine release, and bolt release changes. I sure hope it goes bang when I hit the range Sunday! The really good news is that, if it doesn't, I'll know where to go to get advice on how to fix it.

Here's couple of tips::)
1. Talk about 10/22 maaaagnums in the 10/22 maaaagnum section.
2. If you get the urge to talk about a HMR conversion, see #1.

Enjoy
DR

#116 ·
Without anybody to watch over us we have all become a little unruly.

Has anybody tried a new ER Shaw 17HMR sporter barrel on their magnum conversion yet???:D :p

#117 ·
Drob.

Outstanding!! :t :t

We gotta get "Admin" to post that rule as a "sticky" for this forum.

All you "little bullet people" just go on back to your own little itty-bitty corner. Let us talk about real rifles/bullets.

btw,

cjsdad,

I got no problem with discussing safety issues and such no matter what caliber.... But! man! I was trying to find out how much knowledge my "MAGGITS" have and where we need improvement.

Just, please, don't give 'em the answers. (talkin' about the "ejector test")

p.s.,

AK,

I may not post as much, as I used to........BUT! I'm always watching.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

#118 ·
Thanks For The Welcome

Thanks for the welcome to RFC, I will keep the two different types of 10/22 in their proper places, sorry about that slip-up, it will never happen again. Yes Ski, it's a real early one, maybe earlier than your first one, I had some connections in the right places then, and I do belive it is single extractor. Enlighten me to the New and Better Way, I'm all ears and ready to learn. It is good to find a place to learn and compare.

#119 ·
ski said:
Drob.

Outstanding!! :t :t

We gotta get "Admin" to post that rule as a "sticky" for this forum.

All you "little bullet people" just go on back to your own little itty-bitty corner. Let us talk about real rifles/bullets.

btw,

cjsdad,

I got no problem with discussing safety issues and such no matter what caliber.... But! man! I was trying to find out how much knowledge my "MAGGITS" have and where we need improvement.

Just, please, don't give 'em the answers. (talkin' about the "ejector test")

p.s.,

AK,

I may not post as much, as I used to........BUT! I'm always watching.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Easy, the "ejector" is the magazine. And I don't even have a 10/22 mag and know that one.

#120 ·
billy....

phfffftttt!! It don't matter, now. Buncha people already spilled the beans.

Curt,

What's the story? Did ya have "jammamatic" probs, with it? Did ya find your own "fix"? Did ya throw it into a closet and forget about it?

Lotsa MAAGGNNUUMMS were made and sold, before I got mine, no arguement, there.

We just had our 10/22 WMRs shooting good, while Ruger was doing it's recall thing. And we all just rolled on the floor when we saw Ruger's "solution"!!

ski

#121 ·
No Jamming Problem Here

ski,
No jammamatic problem on mine, works just fine, as is. Enlighten me on the double extractor, I'm intrigued. Can't wait to learn more. As for what I was doing for a period of time, got into my pistols for my CWP and training. I still have "Other" things I shoot besides the maaaagnum. BTW, anybody ever see AMT .22WMR pistols any more? Where did they go and why?

#122 ·
Curt,

A "short & dirty" history of the Ruger 10/22WMR aka: MAAGGNNUUMM.

When they were first introduced, they had a single extractor.

They had ALOT of problems, as reported by the general purchasers. Jamming.....stove pipes....unreliability.....lotsa broken bolt stop pins.

We "Maggits", at RFC, found our own solutions and made the WMR a reliable "aspirin shooter".

The factory extractor & bolt stop pin was replaced with a Volq. "exact edge" and a WeaponsKraft "secret" bolt stop pin.

Ruger was aware of the problem and stopped production, also, offered a "recall" to modify the WMR.

The "modification" was the addition of a 2nd. extractor. I don't recall Ruger's fix for the stop pin, except, that they would replace it with no questions asked.

Fortunately, for many of us, so many original WMRs were "unloaded" to pawn shops, that we were able to obtain them at discount prices and for a few bucks, "fix" them.

I did alot of experimenting with my "Baby", in the early days, to make it a reliable rifle. I was known as the "Mad Scientist Magum Master". Hence, the "Evil Scientist's" laugh (Made with the best Vincent Price voice.).......

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

ski

#123 ·
Still Box Stock

ski,
My MMAAGGNNUUMM is still the way I got it new, except for the 3x9x40 Tasco scope, and probably still under 2000 rouns through it. Should I start expecting things to start going south or just fire away? I am religious about cleaning all my firearms and use MPro-7 exclusively. Best stuff I've ever seen in 40+ years of shooting, still keep a bottle of Hoppes around for aroma. LOL
Anyway, the only info I ever got was the manual, recommended thorough chamber cleaning every 250 rounds, I clean it every time, and I can't remember the last jam or stovepipe, FTE, FTF, but I guess it's time to start taking it out every trip to the range. And little brothers 10/22 and 22/45 also. Will run a couple hundred rounds through it next time and report back. Thanks for the info so far, will probably be wanting more as this addiction gets worse/better. lol:Blasting_ New things to look for and try, Woo Hoo!!!!!

#124 ·
Dinosaur

I recently reported the purchase of one of those dinosaur maaaagnuums. Single extractor, cheapo scope, wrong color rings, not well taken care of but no apparent damage. Swapped in some aftermarket parts, PC hammer (dang, now I remember why I always use VQ), VQ mag release, GM .920 barrel and Hogue OM stock. Modified the bolt release and stuck a Weaponkraft recoil buffer intended for a long rifle model in it. Backed up the buffer with a piece cut from a plastic stair tread protector. Not adhesive but thicker at the top so it can't drop out. Put an old Bushnell 3-9X40 Scopechief on it and it's going to the range in the morning for a shakedown. It will be in good company with 2 other very acurate 10/22s (one of them a HM... oops) and 2 CZ 452s. Rimfire day at Crosley F&W! Maybe I'll take an AR just to make noise.

Doug

#125 ·
Curt,

Ya'all heard this, right? "If it ain't broke......."

I got a good friend in FLA. with an "original". The only reason he replaced any parts was because he just plumb wore 'em out, with his blasting crows.

If/when ya wanna do a "mad scientist" routine with that MAAGGNNUUMM.....

We're here to help ya spend some money.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

One little tip..... Volquartsen is the way to go. (barrels, TGs, extractors.....)

Plenty of "aftermarket" stocks are available. It all depends on your personal preference.

Scopes are the same. It all depends on your use for the rifle. My thing is bench-rest accuracy, so, my scopes are a little "extreme". My centerfire rifles included. Nikon "Monarchs", Leup LRT (Long range Tactical), Weaver T-36s, Trijicon ACOGs.......

Hey! I'm an old man! I need all the help, I can get! :D

ski

#126 · (Edited)
Hi ski! Sorry I'm late to the party. My name is "Zirc", and I'm a magnaholic! :D:D:D

Maaaaaggggnnnnnuuuuuummmmmsss RULE!!!! :t

Mine's a VQ. Tricked out with a Barracuda stock, a Kidd trigger, carbon-fiber tension barrel, and a 4.5-14X50mm Leupold LRT scope. She loves Remington Premiers for target work, but for sage rats she smacks 'em good with CCI TNT's. Sub-MOA accurate at 100 yds. Lot's of "feetsy poundies" to lay 'em flat.

You can see her here:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=627&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=all

I went sage rat shooting two weekends ago. Shot up almost a brick with about a 90% hit ratio. Lot's of little tykes running around. We shoulda got there in February/early March before Moms had a chance to drop all those little sheets. Oil well - made for a target-rich environment.

Bwahahahahahhahaha to you too!!! :D:D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.