Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How many "true" Maggits are left?

6K views 151 replies 40 participants last post by  Rugerforme 
#1 · (Edited)
The Magnum Master is baaaaaaaaack!!

How many of us "Maggits" are here? Stand up and be recognised. Tell me what ya got and whatcha shootin' outta it.

Maggit: (noun). True-blue lover of the ONLY Magnum Rimfire cartridge that matters. The .22WMR.

Allow me to introduce myself to the newbies of RFC.

I am "ski".

I've been around since "Giz's 10/22 Forum".

I was the first to own a Ruger 10/22 MAAGGNNUUMM when they were introduced in 1999 and had to fight for a place in the forum with the .22LR crowd.

Just to shut me up, they gave me this Magnum Forum.

When the .17hmr was introduced, we lost many good people to it's tiny promises.

The WMR still rules!!

And I'm BAAAAACK!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

p.s. My MAAGGNNUUMM rifle of choice is my Volquartsen Custom Deluxe with the Weaver T36 and Remington Premier Ballistic tips.

See less See more
#27 ·
22mag

Ive shot all of the 22 magnum ammo on market today. Shot them into wetnews paper water tanks pulled bullets cut bullets in half weighted powder charges cut the brass in half and also found out what most powders the companys are using. Also chronographed over 20 different 22 magnums rifles and have a collection of 22 magnum magazine articles from as far back as 1969 I mean I got a bunch of articles:D If it has anything to do with the 22 magnum I know about it! Jean

#28 · (Edited)
jean,

"Yote Killers"? Is that what they're calling them now?

I should have mentioned that it was the "moly" OSSI that I used. They made both back then. If memory serves, it was touted to increase fps by about 250.

That $18.00/box scared off alot of people. (vs. $8.50 for Premiers)

So, where ya been hiding all these years?

Sure could have used someone to watch my back when the "hummers" moved in!!

:)

#29 ·
p.s.,

I got somebody working on recovering my lost pics from my old 'puter.

(how, the heck was I supposed to know that "floppys" would be obselete?)

Jean, maybe it was a good thing you weren't around!! ya woulda won all my "name that ammo" contests. BWAHAHAHAHA!

btw, the prize was a box of OSSI Molys. (snicker)

p.p.s....... "Maggits" don't worry 'bouts spelling!! We gots more important sheet to do.

#30 ·
22mag

Thanks Ski! You are ture king on the Maggits! I'll stick around maybe kinda be your Tech guy if thats alright? And the Coyote killers are a new round there not the same as the old molly rounds your thinking about these coyote killers are using the CCI +V case its nickel plated. Jean

#31 ·
Coyote killers

Jean said:
Thanks Ski! You are ture king on the Maggits! I'll stick around maybe kinda be your Tech guy if thats alright? And the Coyote killers are a new round there not the same as the old molly rounds your thinking about these coyote killers are using the CCI +V case its nickel plated. Jean
Coyote killers oughta' be called billfold killers! I didn't think the price was too bad until it was pointed out to me that it was for 20 rds instead of 50! I don't remember the exact price but it was well into centerfire price range and way beyond the cost of reloading 223 and 204. The WMR sits in a very nice place in my prairie dog battery and there is no gap where the coyote killer would fall. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

DRob

#33 ·
DRob said:
Coyote killers oughta' be called billfold killers! I didn't think the price was too bad until it was pointed out to me that it was for 20 rds instead of 50! I don't remember the exact price but it was well into centerfire price range and way beyond the cost of reloading 223 and 204. The WMR sits in a very nice place in my prairie dog battery and there is no gap where the coyote killer would fall. As they say, "your mileage may vary".

DRob
Here's something a little more pricey:

Here's the humorous article from Popular Science about those bullets: How to make Silver Bullets

#34 ·
O'tay Panky!!

We gonna go huntin' Vampires?? or was it Werewolves??

Where Wolf?....... There! Wolf! BWAHAHAHA! (Young Frankensteeeen.)

You ain't been disappointed until ya got a box ($24.00) of RWS and it don't shoot any better than Win "Super X"!!

I still got a few boxes of the original OSSI. Don't use them unless a "side bet" is involved.

jean,

Welcome, aboard!

What cartridge done the best on that wet newspaper? I'm guessin' a V-Max for penetration.

#35 ·
Also,

My personal preference is that "paying for the best and using less" or "one shot, one kill" is the way to go.

I would rather have one excellent rifle than a whole closet of mediocre cr*p.

Hence, Volquartsen(.22WMR).....Les Baer (AR15 .223).......ArmaLite (AR10 .308)........

Hornady "Match" ammo.....Federal "Gold Medal".......

#36 ·
Call me cheap...

I expend the vast majority of my ammo in attempts to reduce the world's prairie dog population. I shoot paper for practice and never measure groups. If I fire 5 shots and think they would all have hit a pasture poodle, I'm a happy guy. One minute of prairie dog! My wife and I will take 8 rifles and 3K rds of ammo for a 3-day shoot. About half that will be WMR & HMR. Before I started reloading, each time we went to South Dakota I would buy a case of .223 Black Hills that were always under $250. Usually 55 gr SP "seconds" with cosmetic blemishes. Got 'em under $200 once. Never had a misfire and the p dogs can't tell the difference. Now I reload because it's cheaper.

How much did you say the coyote killers are? Can a cheap guy stand to shoot 800 of them in 3 days? I won't pay $9 for 50 HMRs or $12 for 40
.223s but it would be interesting to see how the yote killer will do in a dog town. However, I'll wait for somebody else to run that test. I'm too cheap!

DRob

#37 ·
22 mag

Penetration the RWS FMJ was best then the Winchester FMJ not far behind then the CCI TMJ. For mushrooming and weight retension the Winchester 40gr. HP. Then the RWS HP and CCI Maxi Mag. Bullets like the V-max, Winchester Supreme, CCI TNT very explosive but thats what they were designed to do blow up! The CCI +V offers good fragmentation but penetrates very good. All shooting was done at 50 and 100yds. I did some shooting at 150yds. into the wet paper using the Win Supremes and Remington V-max and the 17HMR the Supremes and 22 mag V-max did better the the 17HMR as far as explosiveness went. Also did some testing with the 5mm mag and also got the test results from Remington on there penetration test with the 5mm done back in 1969. The 5mm did very good. Jean

#39 ·
Hey Jean

Maybe we should call you the WMR Helpdesk! You have a plethora of data there. Thanks for sharing.

My less scientific, but often repeated, findings are that a 33 gr Rem Premier VMax and Hornday 17 gr VMax both unzip a prairie dog out to about 75 yards. From there on out to about twice that, they just kill 'em. The WMR stands up better to a cross wind but the HMR is more accurate in calm conditions. The WMR does make a much more satisfying "Whop" on impact. And that right there is scientific!

DRob

#41 ·
DRob said:
The WMR stands up better to a cross wind
Not in any way calling you a liar - and appreciate your statement that your findings are personal - but the published, ammo-makers tests do NOT back this up. This seems to be a widely held intuitive opinion due to the WMR's heavier bullet, but published wind deflection for the .17 HMR under similar conditions is almost always less than the .22 WMR. No flames, please. Facts ARE still facts.

#42 ·
ski said:
The Magnum Master is baaaaaaaaack!!

How many of us "Maggits" are here? Stand up and be recognised. Tell me what ya got and whatcha shootin' outta it.

Maggit: (noun). True-blue lover of the ONLY Magnum Rimfire cartridge that matters. The .22WMR.

Allow me to introduce myself to the newbies of RFC.

I am "ski".

I've been around since "Giz's 10/22 Forum".

I was the first to own a Ruger 10/22 MAAGGNNUUMM when they were introduced in 1999 and had to fight for a place in the forum with the .22LR crowd.

Just to shut me up, they gave me this Magnum Forum.

When the .17hmr was introduced, we lost many good people to it's tiny promises.

The WMR still rules!!

And I'm BAAAAACK!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

p.s. My MAAGGNNUUMM rifle of choice is my Volquartsen Custom Deluxe with the Weaver T36 and Remington Premier Ballistic tips.
After reading three pages of this thread, I was hesitant whether to put up a post, but decided to anyway.

I, too, was one of the first to own a Ruger 10/22M, and still have it. It's my only .22 Mag, and except for a VQ extractor, stock. Been back to Ruger once for the controversial upgrade, got it, including a new barrel. Before the trip back to Ruger it had a VQ hammer and sear, which were removed for the trip back. It came back to me with such a good trigger I left it alone, only reinstalling the VQ extractor.

It carries a Leupold M8-4X scope and, since its return from the factory, I can cover its 50 yard groups with a dime on a still day, shooting either Winchester Super X jhps or CCI Maxi Mag jhps. Have been using the Winchesters and will continue to do so as long as my supply holds out, and hoping they're making them again by then. And that's really all the ballistics data I care about.

This gun is my night hunter for varmints and predators up to coyote size, most shot at around 70 yards, only a few a bit over 100. For about nine months out of the year it gets taken out nightly, and used probably three to four times a week.

Maybe I need something more, but it would be hard to convince me of that.

Oh, and if the feral pigs that are infesting the area come on my place, I don't think ANY of the rimfires would work for that, so I've got a Winchester Model 94 in .44 Mag for them.

eljay

#47 ·
The Ultimate .22 Mag target

Speaking of "swamp", here's the ultimate .22Mag target:

The Nutria
AKA Swamp Rat
AKA Aquatic Prairie Dog

If you set foot in any rural area in East Texas, these things are about as common as fire ants. They are also just about as useful. (they are becoming common many other places.)

#49 ·
HOLY CARP! SKI is back. Just happened to check the board and I see you are no longer in hiding. I still got the ol' factory gun...been 7 years now. Just an extended mag release and VQ extractor...I wore out the original factory one:) .

Here are the incarnations of it:

and with his lil brother...

#50 ·
well well well

Another SWMO WMR man surfaces. I thought I was the only one. I carry a 77/22 All Weather as my basic walking around rifle. Pretty stock unit, only thing I've done to it is to change to a lighter trigger spring. It is a using rifle, not a paper puncher so I've been reluctant to do much fiddling around with a rifle that is safe, reliable and plenty accurate. I have tried a lot of different ammunition in it. I had settled on the Remington Premier until I recently tried the Coyote Killers. They seem to be every bit as accurate from my rifle as the premiers, and are stepping out there for a .22WMR. BTW, I'm about halfway between Springfield and Branson, what part of SWMO are you in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.