Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How many "true" Maggits are left?

6K views 151 replies 40 participants last post by  Rugerforme 
#1 · (Edited)
The Magnum Master is baaaaaaaaack!!

How many of us "Maggits" are here? Stand up and be recognised. Tell me what ya got and whatcha shootin' outta it.

Maggit: (noun). True-blue lover of the ONLY Magnum Rimfire cartridge that matters. The .22WMR.

Allow me to introduce myself to the newbies of RFC.

I am "ski".

I've been around since "Giz's 10/22 Forum".

I was the first to own a Ruger 10/22 MAAGGNNUUMM when they were introduced in 1999 and had to fight for a place in the forum with the .22LR crowd.

Just to shut me up, they gave me this Magnum Forum.

When the .17hmr was introduced, we lost many good people to it's tiny promises.

The WMR still rules!!

And I'm BAAAAACK!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

p.s. My MAAGGNNUUMM rifle of choice is my Volquartsen Custom Deluxe with the Weaver T36 and Remington Premier Ballistic tips.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Wellll...

I don't know if I qualify as a TRUE maggit but I have an Izhmash Biathlon 7-2-KO in .22 mag and a Rem 597 in .22 mag. I have a deal in the works to buy a BRNO ZKM611 in .22 mag. I also have a Savage 24 .22mag/.410, a Stevens 30GM, and a single-six with both cylinders.

I shoot the BB in the USBRs when the weather allows. The Rem 597 wears a TUCK painted laminate stock. The BRNo is supposed to be a real looker with Turkish walnut for the stock.

I have a Simmons 93R17 that I rarely shoot as the synthetic stock is too short between the wrist and the trigger guard and a Marlin 917V that doesn't get shot too much either.

The BB wears a Simmons ProHunter 6.5-20 and the Rem 597 wears a Simmons 3-10x44 Wide angle.

Close enough? at least to be an honorary maggit?

#3 ·
SKI'S BACK!!!

Goosd to see you around again! You ornery old cuss, how the hell ya doin'?

I'm still shooting my CD Magnum but I must confess that it currently has a .17HMR pipe stickin' outa the front of it.:D I think I'll be putting my .22WMR back on it to thin out some 'yotes around here though.

I'm also dooing my best to get more magnum shooters the CD way.

Welcome Home!

#4 ·
"Maggit: (noun). True-blue lover of the ONLY Magnum Rimfire cartridge that matters. The .22WMR."

Hi Ski,

It is great to see you back. Where the hell have you been? My Ruger 10/22M is wearing a 20" GM stainless these days. From what I have seen so far, it is going to turn some heads at the range this summer.

#6 · (Edited)
Magnum

I have a Ruger 10-22 Magnum, mostly standard. Only Mods are reworked trigger group set @ 1 1/2 lbs., Hogue O.M. Stock. Simmons 3X9X40 Eight Point Scope. The gun seems to prefer Winchester Supremes 34 grn. Very flat shooter. This is my favorite gun.
Added, It also has a Weapon Craft Bolt Buffer.

#8 ·
My mag is in pieces on the bench waiting for a match reamer to arrive for some experimentation. It has the rear lug 2 screw bedding system, reworked trigger and reworked bolt. Currently the factory BBL replaces the Clark sporter I turned down. The mag is my gun of choice on the farm, small enough for crows and squirrels but capable of a deer if needed. Coyote, feral cats, *****, groundhogs, wild dogs, deer are part of the carnage of this little cartridge. I prefer the Premiers, they replaced my old Win. JHP round I used for decades. Premiers clocked 2200 fps out of my 10/22M and are accurate too in a faster twist bbl. I have done some penetration tests on roadkill deer and they are impressive, completely penetrating through the large ham muscle on a 200# plus deer. Completely blew through the head too. I made custom scope mounts to lower the Leupold 2x7 to just clear the bbl so a factory stock would give proper eye alignment. I plan to build a sporter bbl just for the V-Max round that will give sub MOA at 100 yds and be reliable. I have had both, but not at the same time out of my 10/22M!

#12 ·
22 mag

I love the 22 MAGNUM have for over 30+ years!!!!! I know more about the 22 MAGNUM then anybody!! Its the best varmint round made if someone told me I could only have one varmint rifle rimfire or centerfire it would be the 22 MAGNUM!!!:D :t And yes Ive shot them all from 25/06 to 17M2 and the 22 MAGNUM is the best! Jean

#14 ·
Crossdresser

I must admit, I built a 22MAG from a 22lr receiver, and in doing so, I also managed to often convert back and forth between 22MAG and 17HM2. Yes, HM2, not HMR. I like using both for different situations, and the pressure curve is very similar between the two, so much so that all I need to change is the barrel and the ammo via a specialized magazine to feed lr based ammo into the converted action.
I have gotten 7 different 22MAG ammos under a half inch group at 50 yards, and although the Remington Premier is a close second place in accuracy, I haven't been able to top the performance of Winchester Supreme 32gr's in my 1:14 twist 17" ported GM barrel. The heavy stuff (40+gr's) seems to prefer the 1:16 twist GM barrel, but I still haven't ever pulled a 50 yard group out of it quite as tight as "The fast light stuff".
When you want to flip the ground squirrels over backwards, no rimfire does it better than my 22MAG, just hit them low and a little to one side, and try for "A spinner".:D :t
I also have a Model 96 in HMR that also shares the same pool of barrels, I named it "Popper", it's main Duty is the longer range stuff.
I have yet to aquire a 10/22 Magnum receiver, I don't really have a use for one.:t

#16 ·
I wondered what happened to the word..........

"maaaagnum"! I guess I am a maggit. I've got a 10/22 maaaagnum (is there a specified number of times the letter "a" must be used) and a Marlin 25 MN. Recently acquired a CZ 452 American maaaagnum and just shot it this very morning. The Marlin and Ruger both really like the Rem Premier VMax and so does the CZ. It's right there with the HMR as a "go-to" round for walking a prairie dog town. I also took Federal 30 gr HP and CCI 40 gr HP with me. The Federal stuff made a pretty decent pattern. All of the shots stayed on a
5.5" Shoot.N.C. at 100 yards, anyway. The Rem and the CCI both shot into about 2" and I will take the blame for some of that. This morning I put up 3 of the 5.5 targets and surrounded each with 4 of the pasters which are approximately 3/4". My rule is you can't leave until every paster has at least 2 holes in it. The Savage .223 and the CZ HMR were almost too easy but it took a little concentration with the maaaagnum. I'd still be there if all I took was the Federal junk. The Rem and the Maxi-Mag (should that be Maaaag?) consistently shot to almost the same point-of-impact but the Federal didn't seem to have a point-of-impact. It had a neighborhood! I'm confident that any semi-competent shooter could learn breathing control, shoot between heart beats, and keep a large number of shots in the same zip code

Cliff Notes version: My CZ 452 American didn't shoot Federal very well.

Doug

#20 ·
The Supremes

Yes, I prefer the Remington Premier 33 gr VMax in the 10/22. The CCI Mini Mag 40 gr hp shot pretty well from the CZ but it has yet to be tested on p dogs. That will happen in June. The Marlin and the 10/22 are veterans of several p dog wars but the Marlin may become my grandson's gun.

DRob

#21 · (Edited)
Magnum's anonymous

My first venture into the rimfire magnums was back in '02 when the .17hmr was all the rage. Built a 77/17 & a 10/17hmr and bought a Single Six in .17hmr. I still have all three and enjoy what they can do.

'Bout a year ago, I bought a 94/22 Mag when all the news about Winchester came out. I've had a Colt New Frontier for about 10 years. I've only fired it with the .22LR cylinder in (the .22 Magnum cylinder was still in the oil paper from the factory. . . never used).

One day I was headed out to my cabin in East Texas. I decided to haul out the 94/22 & the New Frontier (w/ the mag cylinder). I bought a few boxes of MaxiMags.

. . . now I'm a convert: .22Mag is my most used rimfire calber. I really enjoy these two firearms in that caliber.

#23 ·
Inadequate

Jeez, I'm feeling a bit inadequate here among the Maggits. I only have two magnums. I think I will take them with me and hide in a closet....lol.

Cheap shot

#25 ·
DAAAAAMN!

Still a whole sheeetload of us!!

:t :t

Y'all just brought a tear to this old man's eye!!

The most accurate .22WMR cartridge (I ever shot) (worth a 250-25X @25yds USBR) was the OSSI Custom Varmint (ever tried 'em jean?)

I'm partial to Volquartsen barrels, so, all my ammo testing was with a modified 10/22 MAAAAAAGGGNNUUMM (no, there is no set amount of "A"s. :D it all depends on how ya feel about 'em, at the time.) Volq barrel, TG2000, Boyd "Dakota" stock or the Volq. Custom Deluxe...(fluted/comp'd barrel and McMillan thumbhole stock).

I think I have the results of over 30 different brands/styles. I lost all my data when that POS 'puter died, but, I got handwritten notes stashed in a box somewhere in my closet.

Yes, a "comp" does perceptually increase the sound level of the .22 to bystanders. I've had several shooters ask to see the ammo, because, they wouldn't believe that I was only shooting a rimfire.

As my old compadres know, I'm not a hunter (got no objection to it, just, never got into it) my testing was for accuracy, dependibility, etc.

I figger a well placed shot from any type of ammo will do the job, so accuracy is important, although, I've heard that the CCI "TNT" has a very satisfying "red mist" factor. BTW, the "TNT" holds about 4th place on my accuracy list.

If Ruger had listened to us, they would'nt have wasted their time with that two extractor POS. We turned their "jammamatic" into a tack shooter with just a few parts changes.

jean, care to elaborate on your claim?

hmmmmmmmm? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.