Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

22wmr High Capacity Mags

4K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  22_boomer 
#1 ·
I would like to get a 22mag rifle.
One of the main criteria is a rifle model has hi capacity mags available for it. The only one that I am aware of is a bolt action tube fed style.

Who makes the mags and what gun? Can any one shed a light on this subject?

#2 ·
No one makes any hi-cap magazines for either of the popular 22 magnum rifles that are now available. Your limited to 9 for Ruger, 7 for Marlin and I believe 5 for Savage. Guessing on the Savage.

#7 ·
Marlin has a 12 round bolt action tube fed 22mag.

How is the Brno 611 22mag is it a good gun?

I guess I am in the minority, but I think a 22mag semi-auto rifle with a high capacity mag would be a good defense weapon. You could alternate the ammo in the magazine with solids and hollow points, it only 5-1/2 lbs., it is easy to carry, you could shoot it one handed if needed, the muzzle blast will not totally wreck your vision or hearing, and there are many handguns to go with it. I have read several articles by police professionals who have stated that a 22mag handgun is a good backup weapon. Being easy to handle and light my wife could also shoot it if need be.

#8 ·
I am absolutely with you, I really like your idea.

The .22mag with a 25-30 round magazine full of soft points would make a GREAT defence rifle.
But I would add a good pistol grip stock to the rifle.

But thats only a dream, no one would ever make a high-cap magazine for it.

#9 ·
kemosabi45 said:
Marlin has a 12 round bolt action tube fed 22mag.

How is the Brno 611 22mag is it a good gun?

I guess I am in the minority, but I think a 22mag semi-auto rifle with a high capacity mag would be a good defense weapon. You could alternate the ammo in the magazine with solids and hollow points, it only 5-1/2 lbs., it is easy to carry, you could shoot it one handed if needed, the muzzle blast will not totally wreck your vision or hearing, and there are many handguns to go with it. I have read several articles by police professionals who have stated that a 22mag handgun is a good backup weapon. Being easy to handle and light my wife could also shoot it if need be.
Police pros may have stated that .22 Mag makes a good back-up weapon, but that's the thing. BACK-UP! You'll not find any law enforcement folks relying on a .22 Mag as their primary weapon because, although a .22 Mag can and will kill somebody, it would likely take too long. So, since the pros look for stopping ability, and not killing ability, they would never choose any .22, Mag or LR.
As for the wives, my little lady has, on occasion, shot snakes (in the country, of course) with my .357 Magnum and has qualified with, and carried for ten years now, a Model 27 Glock .40 S&W. Don't underestimate the little ladys.
In my opinion only, home defense is best served with a shotgun, and concealed carry for self defense should be 9mm or larger, preferably larger.
All of that in the 'for what it's worth', and 'in my opinion' catagory.
eljay

#12 ·
jotto said:
Interesting, I wonder why there aren't any for the Ruger 10/22RBM like there are for the .22 LR 10/22?
The shape of the HMR and the Mach2 17 bullets do not lend themselves well to stacking in in-line magazines. The M2 v-shape will jam horribly in Eagle and Butler Creek in line hicap mags. Took me forever to unload the M2 bullets from my inline hi cap mags. Not fun at all.

#20 ·
Check This Thread

kemosabi45 said:
I would like to get a 22mag rifle.
One of the main criteria is a rifle model has hi capacity mags available for it. The only one that I am aware of is a bolt action tube fed style.

Who makes the mags and what gun? Can any one shed a light on this subject?
Kemosabi,

Check out this thread. We were all sending emails asking for it.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72828

Lib

#21 ·
I contacted Tactical Innovations Inc with this email ..............
Hi
I like the looks of your products they are very well made_
Have you thought of making 10/22WMR magazines?
There is no one that i can find making High capacity magazine for a 22WMR. The 10/22WMR rifle is a good firearm and i believe that myself and others would be intrested in 20,25,30 round mags for the 10/22WMR.

REPLY...............1/17/2006

Hi Kurt,
A .22 magnum caliber mag would require a commitment for min of about 5000 mags to make it worth proceeding with, and the cost per mag would be greater due to the additional material requirements and machine time. Thus, we have no plans to make other calibers at this time.
Thanks
Craig

Craig Wheatley
Tactical Innovations Inc.
www.tacticalinc.com
208-267-1585 Pacific

#22 ·
Well, if the rifles out, how about a pistol? Grendel made a P30 in .22 WMR just before the 1994 AWB. That's correct, it held 30 rounds in the magazine, and one in the chamber. QC problems with early models gave it a shaky rep, but the later versions, provided you knew how to load rimmed cartridges, were pretty reliable.

#23 ·
I've owned guns that had a jam on occasion, but the Grendel P30 I had would never go more than 3 rounds without a problem. Biggest disapointment out of the approximately 200 firearms I've owned over the years.

Don't forget the Win 94/22mag. I think it's a 12 rounder.

#24 ·
Maybe a hi-cap is on the way?

I found a post in the 17 HMR section of Rimfire Central about Midway expecting to sell 20 round hi-cap mags for the 17 HMR -- expected in stock 3/1/2006.
See the Midway page here; http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=717022

The mags are made for the Ruger by Promag and I have no idea how good the mags will be but if they work with the .17 HMR then I would hope they could work with the 22 magnum.

#26 ·
22_boomer said:
I found a post in the 17 HMR section of Rimfire Central about Midway expecting to sell 20 round hi-cap mags for the 17 HMR -- expected in stock 3/1/2006.
See the Midway page here; http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=717022

The mags are made for the Ruger by Promag and I have no idea how good the mags will be but if they work with the .17 HMR then I would hope they could work with the 22 magnum.
I caught that post the other day also. I'll be on pins and needles waiting to see what they look like. Promag is an enormously large dealer, hope a few other manufacturers jump on the wagon and start producing something as well. I'm still waiting in the bushes for a good all metal tommy gun round drum mag for the 22lr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.