Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW !! The ULTIMATE 22LR,22MAG,17HMR,17? Conversion

54K views 271 replies 157 participants last post by  eljay 
#1 ·
NEW !! The ULTIMATE 22LR,22MAG,17HMR,17? Conversion
Chief Says : If your expecting a picture = Your out-a-luck this time. My new Rimfire Conversion , = Is without a dought the Ultimate of conversions. This system makes my other conversion
"10-22LR to 10-22 magnum", look like it was out of the 1950's.

Now theres NO trigger setback. NO adding holes to the receiver.
No notch to cut in the Receiver. NO jumping hammer spring . No
light firing pin strikes.

It will work with any 10-22 semiauto ever made. The guns modfications are at a minimum , requiring only conventional hand
tools "no machinist skills" , and can be completed in 10 minutes
even by a 10 year old. Theres NO "2 E-mails w/ 3 attachments ea.". Theres NO plans to complicate matters. Theres NO way to
screw it up or possibly damage your firearm.
In short , Its FOOL-PROOF . Even if you never cleaned a 10-22 ,you could do this conversion = yourself.

GOOD = Anyone who has a 10-22LR , Can now have the option
of having a 22 magnum , a 17HMR and/or a 17 LR , With nothing
more than buying the barrel for the caliber wanted.
With my conversion (parts) you can turn your present 10-22LR
into the ultimate " combo -gun".
If you can fit a barrel to it (any rimfire caliber) this baby will shoot it!

BETTER = You can turn it back into a 10-22LR at any time (in 10 minutes) or however long it takes you to swap the barrels.
It is a Conversion " NOT a SWITCH". After you modify your stock
to accept the larger magnum magazine= thats it. Tomarrow if
you decide to target shoot with it as a 22 LR. You will be able to
and even use the factory 22LR magazine : no cobble job-here:

BEST - Chief HAS GOT IT ,! no Lizard promises here! Its gonna
be Patented , therefore it cant be FREE. Afterall it is the CONVERSION "parts" = not plans like the older type conversion.
These install in 10 minutes. And uninstall in 10 minutes.

Parts are being made as we speak , Patent process starts Monday AM. The conversion parts will be available and marketed
at a more than fair price. Theres only one thing that could stop
the conversion from being marketed .
RUGER CO. could cut me a check for $1,000,000.00
Later they will wish they had. HOW many 10-22LR owners out there would like to shoot a 17HMR in their present "custom"
10-22lr. If they could ? would they bother buyin a 77-17 ? I think not.

PLEASE REPLY - WITH YOUR OPINION.
sorry - no pics or more informtion avail.
CD. "not VHS."

See less See more
#254 ·
Still interested. Haven't checked in lately, looks like the patent office is moving at their usual glacial pace.

Merry Christmas, CD! I still really want one!

Do you plan to contact those of us who have expressed an interest when the paperwork gets through? Or is it best to just keep checking here?

Steve

#255 · (Edited)
Blueskybob said:
Chief,
Will it work on a Ruger Model 96 (lever action) 22 Mag to go to .17 HMR?
Thanks
Bob
I'm not the Chief but to change from 22 mag to 17HMR all you have to do is change the barrel I believe. It is possible that the mags might need exchanging to bu I don't believe so. Chk with Skeeter27red or Ole Man River as both have ALOT of experience with this.

If you have a 96/22 mag you might as well have a 17HMR barrel as this is such an easy change.

Edit: I PM'd Skeeter. Let's see what he has to sy but I sure this is an EASY swap. Makes me want one!

#256 ·
Blueskybob

To convert your 96/22 Magnum to a 96/17 all you will need is a 17 HMR barrel.
Green Mountain currently has 17 HMR barrels listed for the 96/22 Magnum.
You can also use a 17 HMR barrel made for the 77/22 Magnum along with a shim and spacer kit from Artifex.
Here is a picture of my conversion.

The scope mounts are 2 rear Remington 700 mounts. The mounts screw holes match the Ruger spacing in the receiver.

#257 ·
But wait, there's more

Ted pioneered the 96 accurizing as far as I am concerned, I just began tinkering after having several dialogs back and forth about what direction to go with "The guts". :t
Not only can you simply swap out HMR and 22MAG with just a barrel swap, but for instance, right now I have an SSS 60 gr. 1:9 twist 22lr barrel on my model 96 HMR, shooting 60 grainers (and wolf mt). I simply installed the lr magazine guts into a Magnum magazine, and both my 22lr conversion rifle and my Model 96 share the same pool of barrels and magazines to convert to any of the 4 main rimfires in short order (note I am not satisfied with the HMR from the 22lr raceiver and choose not to shoot HMR from a 22lr blowback receiver at this point in the actions' development, however, if Chief says he is doing this all of the time, and safely, I do not doubt his word, he just has it figured better than i do right now), in fact, it is vastly more simple to do this with the lever action, and the accuracy is improved over the blowback in most ammo, same barrels on the two different actions. If you really want to get technical, then machine a .006-.007" shoulder onto the breech of your lr ammo barrels, and use a .048" headspace on each action, then all of your ammo has a nice little snug headspace. :t The challenge with the 96 is getting the trigger pull straightened out, and when i have mone sorted perfectly, I'll share that with everybody, still playin' for now. :t

#258 · (Edited)
ChiefDave said:
Chief says : its been longer than seven months/ 1 yr 2 months and 22 days just to get the pattent approved , then comes the machinist and some contracts fro EDM and blueprint services along with legal attorneys and
many other headaches. Not an easy task for one person with no partners.
CD.
But if someone wants to buy the pattent rights = I will gladly sell them.
Alright guys, here ya go! He's ready to sell you his patent rights, and points out how hard it is for one guy to get it all done. So a bunch of you should jump in there, buy the rights, form a company, and produce this thing you think is so great!!
I'll not be a buyer but heck, I'm just one in a thousand or so.
eljay

#261 ·
eljay said:
"Chief Says : This modfication , done properly is as safe as the gun you shoot on any day. Many have done the conversion and are happy with the results."
How is this possible, if the 'conversion kit' has not yet been released, or put up for sale?
Eljay, it doesn't say the conversion kit is safe, etc, etc. It says this modification. That means that CD and several other folks have taken it upon themselves to modify existing arms. Nevertheless if and when a kit is for sale, I am certain that it too will be safe or it wouldn't be put up for sale.

#262 ·
Markbo said:
Eljay, it doesn't say the conversion kit is safe, etc, etc. It says this modification. That means that CD and several other folks have taken it upon themselves to modify existing arms. Nevertheless if and when a kit is for sale, I am certain that it too will be safe or it wouldn't be put up for sale.
Except, of course, for the ones that weren't, as below:

Chief says, "For the guy who claims to have a receiver broke in half - send it to Ruger they will send ya a new one. Then stay with LR."

That is, by the way, a verbatum, cut and paste, quote.

So, as I read this, if you try it and break a receiver, lay it on Ruger to replace, THEN STAY WITH LR.

That's interesting. Try it and, if it works, great. But if it doesn't, con Ruger into replacing the broken part and don't try it again. Is this really the measure of a good design?

And, of course, we're to believe that Ruger went to all the trouble and expense of designing a steel receiver for the magnum just for the heck of it.

It may be a little bit naive to assume that, just because a product is put up for sale, it is safe.
eljay

#263 ·
I'm kind of confused... what has someone trying a modification on their own and failing at it have to do with CD selling a kit some time in the future?

CD's advice was quite clear - get Ruger to replace a broken unit (which they will do under their warranty) and 'stay with LR'. Who said anything about trying it again?

No it's not a measure of good design... it's a modification of a factory design. Anytime anyone does that with any factory design, whether it be a toaster or a Corvette, there is a chance it will work great and a chance it won't. That fellow's did not. His is not CD's either.

That's like saying 'My car is orange. It's a piece of crap. Therefore all orange cars are crap'. Apples and oranges baby! :D

If nobody here ever tried any modifications, we would all be shooting stock carbines and this site wouldn't exist. I recommend by all means that you don't try one when and if they become available since you obviously are not naive. ;)

Wait until people get them and start making reports here. I do that with some new ideas... others I jump right into. This particular one I have been following for several years and am comfortable jumping into it. The 17M2 I held off on until just now (barrel and bolt should be here tomorrow) just until I see what mods others have worked out to handle the cycling and accuracy issues.

#264 ·
Quoting Markbo, " If nobody here ever tried any modifications, we would all be shooting stock carbines and this site wouldn't exist. I recommend by all means that you don't try one when and if they become available since you obviously are not naive."

Shooting stock carbines might not be a bad idea. And be assured I won't be trying one "when and if they become available", if it were GIVEN to me. I'll be surprised if they do, by the way.
I just got tired of reading all the unsubstantiated claims and declarations. One time I read, "All we buy the carbine for is the receiver, only good part on it." To this I say, HOGWASH!
Have a great day, and Happy Holidays!

#268 ·
What is the big deal on waiting?

You should know that we can make a 10/22 mag into a 10/17hmr we have been doing this for several years. Ruger still has not released their 10/17hmr in fact it is not listed on their web site anymore. Some gun dealers say 10/17hmr won't work, I say that I have shot thousands of rounds through 10/17hmr it works great. If you want a autoloader pay big bucks or make it, or wait for someone like the Chief. The Chief will get it done in due time. Don't forget that Ruger still is out to lunch on 10/17hmr? So I have several on order from the Chief.
What I would like to see is a 17hmr conversion for AR15. There is 17M2 conversion for AR15, still waiting on 17hmr AR15.

Darryl

[/url]

#271 ·
??

I dont understand why these are not for sale now..I'm sure I missed something in the 19 pages of post since I just found the thread this morning.. once you have a pat. pending that means you have one year from the date of visiting your pat. attorney to actually see if the product/idea is marketable..i know i have done one.. during that year you can sell all you want with out having someone steal your idea and get a patend on it..at least that is what my pat. lawyer told me..

#272 ·
blkcloud said:
I dont understand why these are not for sale now..I'm sure I missed something in the 19 pages of post since I just found the thread this morning.. once you have a pat. pending that means you have one year from the date of visiting your pat. attorney to actually see if the product/idea is marketable..i know i have done one.. during that year you can sell all you want with out having someone steal your idea and get a patend on it..at least that is what my pat. lawyer told me..
And your lawyer told you the straight truth.
Don't hold your breath for this conversion kit. It MAY just be a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Come on, CD, prove me wrong!

eljay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.