Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

So, who's tried the chief's conversion?

10K views 126 replies 15 participants last post by  p7junkie 
#1 ·
I know of two people that have tried the conversion with success. both of them took a slightly different approach to the same problem. finding the space for the magazine.
I'm starting mine this week and wanted to talk with those of you have have at least tried this.
here is what I am planning to do. I plan on shortening the trigger housing and not add holes to the reciever or the trigger housing.
the hard part is the plunger has to go back farther. the first part of limiting this is the magazine release. it's to wide to allow the plunger to be drawn back far enough. if you shave it down you can get a couple more mm.
but it's will stop after that becuase the mag release and plunger will start to bind. that angle can be changed pretty easily as well but is it enough?

#127 ·
I put about two hundred rounds through it today. i used maxi mags, winchester supreme and Remington premier. all of them grouped well. the premier was the best. the first eight groupings were outstanding. the last eight five rounds groups got worse . the last one looked like a shotgun blast. it didn't take me long to figure out that the scope base had worked lose. took it home and put a little locktite on it. shouldn't have any problems now. I did have quite a few fail eject/feed problems. I took out a different magazine than I had been using and I think I got the spring wound to tight. I need to relieve a little bit more of the underside of the bolt as well and I think that will cure my problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.