Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Finished my Razor 10/22 Magnum, but help

16K views 155 replies 15 participants last post by  Guitdolin 
#1 · (Edited)
I got everything put together just fine. It looks great. Went to shoot it for the first time today, and it wouldn't feed from the magazine into the chamber. I tried Ruger 9-shot magazines as well as the 25-round mag in the photo. Bullet starts into the chamber, but it looks like it's angled a little bit too much and it won't feed. The primer back of the case as it comes out of the magazine is lower than the bullet tip - enough lower that the bullet isn't getting a straight shot into the chamber and it jams in the hole. I'm guessing that I drilled the magazine detent hole slightly off somehow. That's the hole that's supposed to be angled slightly. I followed the directions to keep the 8" bit almost touching the receiver while drilling that indention as best I could. My guess is that I didn't get exactly 3 degrees by trying to eyeball it this way.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do to get it to feed?

Thanks!

Oh....here's a pic.....

See less See more
#135 ·
My brother and I were just talking about trying a high speed camera type setup, and using a stopwatch to try and calculate bolt speed, convert that into data to try and modify bolt speed using real data, rather than what I have been doing, which has been basically trying many different setups.

This post has been deleted
#138 ·
This is a Select Fire (light) bolt, and the only spring is the one on the guide rod plus 1/2 more added?

I have a full guide rod spring plus a full Select Fire standard main spring with 2.5" more spring added to it, and anything less than that was not enough spring - chewing up the buffer and throwing the extractor.

What barrel are you using?

#143 ·
In .22 mag, the stock SF 7" spring worked in that I had no noticeable case bulging, but the bolt was slamming so hard into the buffer that it tore it into pieces in only 100 rounds. Also, the extractor was being thrown out after one magazine or less.

9" of the standard SF spring still let the extractor get knocked out. 9.5" worked to keep the extractor in place, but I did have several stove pipes. I don't know if that was a result of the bolt not traveling back far enough or if it was due to the SF extractor just not doing the job. I suspect it is probably a bolt travel issue.

I need to go to a combination of the stock SF spring with some of the heavier spring to find the right spring strenth while staying with 7" of main spring.

#146 · (Edited)
They *seem* more plentiful, but...

You will have to get a spacer and v-block for that specific barrel as the 10/22 parts will not work.

@Ted, just for grins, the SF guide rod spring and KID +10% are the same size wire at around .024. The KID -10% is thinner at about .022. The standard is in my Razor LR so I did not measure it.

Those bulges were 22WMR or 17HMR? edit:NM, oops, read the text!

Robert

#145 ·
I had stovepipes with the (too) heavy/.047 spring.

The bolt did not travel far enough to allow the case to clear the receiver. Lighter/shorter springs stopped that. The SF extractor seems to do its job well.

Maybe a combo of SF and med might do it like you said. I found that my spring was stacking by a couple coils or 1/8" which caused the tab on the bolt to tweak a bit. Solid column of steel!

Be sure the bolt makes it to the buffer and to check the spring stack height if you add that joiner!:bthumb:

Robert

#148 ·
I have been tweaking and tweaking on this thing, and it still won't cycle properly. Still getting 2 or 3 stovepipes in every magazine. I've tried various lengths of extra spring as well as combinations of the heavier spring with the lighter original spring. I haven't found anything that works yet.

I'm ready to just buy another receiver/bolt assembly - another brand. Anybody know where I can get one?

#149 ·
Your's is 22WMR IIRC...its been a while!:eek:

Mine in 22WMR does fine. The 17HMR not so much. Check the bolt to be sure the rim fits easily into the headspace of the bolt. Mine (and many others) were tight. Too tight. I dropped an end mill in there and opened up the diameter a bit so the case would easily slip into the recess.

I will pop mine open and see which spring combo is in there. Also, mine is running the longer/slightly heavier long follower.

Robert

#150 ·
The factory Razor bolt actually needs a lot of work. I had to stone many of the edges, open the bullet "headspace" from (I think) .288" to .300", cut the headspace from .053" to .047", cut the edge off of the bottom of the bolt that pushes the next bullet into the chamber.

Mass is your friend, even in 22 mag. Tanakasan gave me a .040" spring that helped a lot. I use a Kidd +10% guide rod spring, a heavy handle, added mallory to the bolt, and a heavy top spring follower.

I'm not sure of your current setup, but I would get a heavy (.40") top spring (ask Tanakasan part#/retailer) @ about 7", a +10% guide rod spring, and make a long/heavy top spring follower, and see how it shoots from there. If you still have trouble, look into making a heavy bolt handle.

Keep us posted on your progress, we love to help.

#151 ·
Thanks guys. I've not posted in a few months, but I made all of those modifications to the bolt and spring several months ago (see earlier pages of this long thread). The only thing I haven't done is add a heavier handle or a heavier top spring follower. I don't have milling tools to make those parts.

I'm just going to scrap this whole money pit and buy a different receiver. I have a Volquartsen trigger group and carbon fiber barrel that I could put to good use on a more reliable receiver assembly. It's looking like I'll have to buy an entire rifle to get a receiver. But if anyone knows where I can get a fully functioning 10/22 Magnum receiver assembly, shoot me a PM or email please.

#153 ·
Well I've been thinking about tinkering some more with this project. It's just been sitting in my safe since my last post (almost 3 years ago). I came back here to review all my notes. I couldn't remember exactly where I was in the process of trying to get the gun to cycle. Looks like I need more mass on the bolt.

stukpedal, did you get yours running? What about those heavier handles? Do you have a source for having one built?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.