Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bring it back, Ruger!

17K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  M2HB 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'm about the million and one'th guy to say this, but I wonder if Ruger will ever bring back the 10/22 magnum? Sure would be nice.

#4 ·
Considering the new short, barrel loads, that are now being offered, the .22 magnum is far from being "orphaned"!
In fact most .22 Magnum ammo is being bought as fast as they manufacturer it.
It fits the niche between .22lr and .223 perfectly.

OLE, the original bolts were plenty stout enough. The problem came into play when users did not maintain (clean properly) these rifles, so many were sent back to Ruger for warranty service. Then the engineers in their infinate wisdom decided to install the so-called inboard extractor, creating a very weak spot in the bolt. I don't believe that Ruger will revisit the 10/22 magnum, however, they may decide to borrow another Kel-Tec design and make a .22 magnum carbine, once they figure out how much demand there is for it.
Right now there are other options, Magnum Research, Volquartsen, Tangifolio Appeal, Select fire, and Ray-Vin's .22 magnum AR upper.
STW

#7 ·
Ruger may not be making them, but others are; I saw some Ruger knockoffs ( higher end stuff ) that were basic Ruger 10/22 magnums. However, at towards $800, I passed; no threaded barrel..

Of course, if you are OK with bolt action- there's the Ruger American Rimfire in .22 WMR..

#8 ·
10/22 mag and lever action

from what i understand, neithe rifle was up to ruger standards, lots of trouble with both. ruger does not drop a gun from their line without a good reason. the lever action was a neat gun but didnt seem to be receiving any respect. .22 mag 10/22 holds no interest for me, i just plink and ammo is too expensive to plink with. maybe if i hunted..... i have had .22 mags over the years and always kept them for a while and then bye-bye. just traded my last one, hemry lever, for a henry big loop carbine. it will get lots more range time because it is .22LR.:bthumb::cool:

#9 ·
Got 'em

I was lucky enough to buy two Ruger 10/22M rifles shortly before they were discontinued. I still have one of those and another I bought recently. I consider the original to be a switch-barrel gun. The barrels being switched are a GM fluted stainless .22 WMR .920 and a Clark Custom, also fluted .920 in .17 HMR. The gun runs and shoots flawlessly and I am careful to pull a Boresnake through it every 50 rds or so. The latest acquisition is in factory clothing with a couple of internal mods and also runs very well. Both are "double extractor" guns with the second "extractor" removed. I also stumbled upon a M96 magnum a few years ago and took it home. I installed a factory contour Shilen .17 HMR barrel on it. I haven't gotten around to sending the trigger to TTShooter for a massage but the trigger is the only thing I don't like about it.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Ruger to reintroduce either of these guns. I believe Ruger's marketing and legal people reined them in.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
Doubts, but.............

I will be very surprised if Ruger puts the 10/22M back on the market but, if they did, one would have to think the bolt breakage issue (which they created) would have to be eliminated. The need to keep the chamber clean or some way to prevent out-of-battery ignition would still exist. The gun would have to be idiot-proofed to the satisfaction of the corporate lawyers. I'm thinking very expensive gun.

#14 ·
I will be very surprised if Ruger puts the 10/22M back on the market but, if they did, one would have to think the bolt breakage issue (which they created) would have to be eliminated. The need to keep the chamber clean or some way to prevent out-of-battery ignition would still exist. The gun would have to be idiot-proofed to the satisfaction of the corporate lawyers. I'm thinking very expensive gun.
Do you mean expensive........like they are now?
I'm sure that the folks at Ruger are watching the going prices on their discontinued 10/22WMR.
STW

#19 ·
10/22mag

Ran into a new in the box 10/22 mag at the Dallas Market Hall gun show last weekend was a twin extractor gun the guy had $1500.00 on it .it was clear he had no knowledge about the gun . Other then the price he had seen on Gun broker. It had some nice wood on it all the papers an box ,rings an I belived him that it was unfired it looked like a virgin.

#20 ·
Nib

He might get near that if he can find the right buyer. I'm not convinced a gun show is the the way to do it, though. There are several currently listed on Gunbroker for more than that but none of them are NIB and none of them have a bid. NIB guns were the ones that sold ridiculously high a few years ago. Maybe the day has come and gone.

#21 ·
Does it have to be a Ruger (10/22)? If you just want a semi-auto 22WMR, doesn't Remington still offer the 597 in 22mag? CDNN is having a weekend special on the zippy Excel? Excelsior? [under the Mitchell's Mauser's brandname] semi:
http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/mitchell-black-lightning-22wmr-18-sts-hvy-bbl-1-9.html but of course it uses stick mags, not the uber-reliable Ruger rotary [which is sufficient reason for insisting on getting a 22WMR based on the 10/22, when it comes right down to it. ;) ]

#22 ·
Only for this section

Does it have to be a Ruger (10/22)? If you just want a semi-auto 22WMR, doesn't Remington still offer the 597 in 22mag? CDNN is having a weekend special on the zippy Excel? Excelsior? [under the Mitchell's Mauser's brandname] semi: ................................
]
It only needs to be a 10/22 magnum for this section of the forum. :D
There are guys who still lust after a 10/22M. I pity the poor unlucky souls. I don't know if Remington still makes their WMR version of the 597 but, just like the 10/22M, their are mixed reviews on them. I recently found myself with no bolt action WMR and a significant stockpile of ammo so I bought a Ruger American Rimfire. It does nicely but don't tell anybody I mentioned it the 10/22M section. :bthumb:

From what I've heard about Mitchell's Mausers.........None for me, thanks.

#24 ·
Maybe

I've thought that a couple of times but it's hard to tell. The footage seems to have been edited and spliced so many different ways the shooter may have 2-3 different guns in each catch shown. I've noticed that the battle may start with a bolt gun in the shooter's hands but the shot is taken with a lever action.

#25 ·
Uncle Si carries a Ruger 1022M on Duck Dynasty quite a bit. Dunno if it is a single or dual extractor model but it always seems to function well for him. Especially considering his almost obsessive need to burn ammo. Over the years there have been several firearm models that have been brought back to production, some with limited success and others with great success.

Like mentioned above, it would have to be almost stoopud proof for Ruger's legal dept. to allow the 1022M to be brought back. Dunno if that can be done, what with the straight-walled cartridge and all.

#27 ·
I have two and enjoy shooting both. One had some work done to the trigger before I got it and I really like the end result. The other is pure stock.
That being said I have them because I like Ruger rim fires. If I had to have a mag rim fire just to shoot I would get a Mag Research and will probably end up with one to preserve the Rugers. You break a bolt and it's scrap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.