Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Feel taken advantage of

7K views 47 replies 37 participants last post by  CardPuncher 
#1 ·
Alright not really me but feel like a family member was anyways.

My wife's dad recently sold his ruger 10/22 magnum for $150. I know the guy who bought it and have been thinking about saying something to him. They guy knew what he was buying too, which makes me feel worse.

My FIL didn't know what these are going for, and I haven't told him.

So do I say something or just let him be?

#33 ·
Possible conversation

You might consider something like........."My FIL had a great little 10-22. I understand you have it now. If you decide to sell it, I would be grateful if you let me have a chance to buy it." And then every time you see him from now on, ask about it. Of course if he decides to sell, then it will be at $151 dollars. If he ever says it has already been sold, then that is the time you know for sure he is a rat.

#34 · (Edited)
You may also talk to your FIL and say Hey next time you're thinking of selling a gun ask me about it first and maybe I could get you a better price or ask him if he's had the gun/guns appraised lately and do that with him. As for the friend, without you being there to be part of the conversation/transaction that's a tough one. If your FIL has his full faculties/wits about him there's not much you can really say about it, if not then (IMHO) there's an issue, also is this a firearm that you would have liked to own yourself ? and could this be part of what your upset about (that it went to someone else)? not implying just asking.

#36 ·
Everyone has a different value equation that is unique to them. You might value a widget at $500 while everyone else values it for considerably less independent of the information avaliable. There are sweetheart deals in guns all the time. You never know if it is from ignorance of the current market, someone only wanting what they have into it, or they simply are returning previous favor or good deed, and some people simply do not care because their guns simply tools. The value equation is very personal, and you should worry about your own.

Unless this guy turned around and sold this 10/22M for a profit, I don't think you have any business getting upset, getting your FIL upset, or anyone else for that matter. There is a new happy owner, and there is no skin off your back. Let everyone be happy. It's not like he talked him into a bad investment or refinance. Two guys got together and agreed to a price on a gun so the other can shoot it.

Again, if he turned around and slung it on gunbroker for $600+, you have some right. But for now, live and let live. You will get good deals as well. In fact, I think you should be happy for the guy.

#37 ·
To the OP, if you think you lost a family heirloom then you could always explain that to the buyer and offer to buy the gun back for $150, or maybe a little extra for his trouble and understanding. If you're not interested in recovering an heirloom I think you just consider it water under the bridge and move on. You also may want to be proactive to ensure your father-in-law doesn't unload any other possessions/heirlooms for cheap. But, I know old men can be hard-headed and prideful so it's a tough position. Best of luck!

#38 ·
No matter how it went down... "give me $150 for it" or "I'll give you $150 for it", it was agreed upon. You father-in-law probably remembers what he paid for it and even though he's up in years, he's likely not a fool and could have been giving the friend a deal. I would hope that the friend keeps the rifle and makes good use of it rather than flipping it, but it is his now.

My guess is that no good will come of pursuing this and I think that I would let it go.

Just my opinion of course.

#39 ·
we really do not know what the conversation was between the op's FIL and the guy who bought the gun.

If it was me, I will ask the FIL first... at least he is family and if he said he didn't know the actual value of the gun, then I would talk to the "friend" either to make the price right, or sell it back to me.

If I speak to the buiyer first without knowing what happened, I might loose a friend, or at least become uneasy with him.

#40 ·
To many folks today, morals are for mushrooms:p Obviously it bothers you, so say something, otherwise move on. It was a gain for your friend and only a loss to you as your parents don't seem to care or understand the value. Its one of those things that happen that don't seem right, but it happens all the time in this society as we are taught to be capitalistic(opportunistic)see all businesses. Don't believe those for a second that pretend they'd pass up an opportunity to gain. Righteousness and morality are typically a tool for an audience;)

#42 ·
Your F-I-L is an adult. It's his business what he sells his gear for. There may be issues around the sale that you are not aware of and to intimate that at 69 he's mentally infirmed is rather arrogant, condescending and pretentious on your part.

Leave it alone, it's none of your business.

#43 ·
Thankyou DLS, You are right it is none of his business! To be honest, if I found out my son, son in law or any member of my family had posted information about me on the internet that I did not specifically ask them to, they would no longer be welcome in my house! I am refering to the info the OP started this thread with.

#46 ·
Perhaps all of those assumptions would be clarified if he talked to his FIL about the transaction and found out from the source what his reasons were for selling it so cheap.

#48 ·
.. what if it was YOUR Father in law? Or your Father? Or your Mother? Or your daughter? IF FIL did it knowingly, then he did a nice thing and buck doesn't have to like it. He just has to live with it. If he did not do it knowledgeably, he was taken advantage of. It's really pretty simple...... I don't like thieves much and I darned sure won't abide anyone stealing from my family.
That's why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.