Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Why 22 WMR

6K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  cwlongshot 
#1 ·
So, while developing a 22 magnum auto loader, I have to ask myself why?

22 magnum is about 20 cents a round and you can get 223 for about 23 cents a round.

For three cents more I would just as soon shoot center fire for all the advantages it brings.

The disadvantages of center fire is why I also have 22LR.

Comments?

Regards, Ray

#31 ·
Here are some pictures of the Keltec PMR-30 and RMR-30, along with a few oddballs (like a full auto stocked PMR-30 prototype concept gun).

I still haven't found a good write-up to explain exactly how this works, it is some sort of pressure-dependent blowback hybrid and it has a fluted chamber to aid extraction.

I like the aluminum extrusion for the body, but the part for the extendable stock looks like it would twist too easily. Aluminum is strong, but that thing is pretty long and skinny. I would change the design or consider steel or both.

(Actually, I would just convert the design to bullpup with a 24 inch barrel to make OAL and add muzzle energy).

Too bad Keltec didn't make those magazines out of steel, I hate polymer feedlips even at half the price :)

#34 ·
The receiver is in the anodize tank now. The other parts are done and are being sealed.
The bolt has been re-designed to make it one piece and simpler. I don't know if I will make the new bolt for the Gen3 platform or not.
I will post photos when it is all back together. Perhaps later today.
I was getting 1" groups at 50 yards from the bench. Not very good, but you have to consider the barrel block bedding only has about 1" of the .920 diameter to grab on to and it is a tapered sporter barrel. I expect much better with a bull barrel.
Regards, Ray

#35 ·
MY personal reason for interest in .22WMR is that in GA, during small game season, you are only allowed to hunt with rimfire calibers on state WMA's. However, I'm out hunting feral hogs, so I want the most firepower I can get when hunting these (supposed) beasts. I say supposed because I haven't seen one yet - but not for lack of trying!

#37 ·
I have been shooting the 22mag since I was old enough to buy my own guns. I remember my father telling me the LR was all I needed for small game and not to waste my $$ on that thing... Told me the same thing when I bought a 358 instead of the 308's the rest of my family liked so much.

Today all 35calibers hold special place for me as does the 22magnum. I have a few different 22Maggies but no auto rifles. I have been keeping my eyes open for a Marlin 922. I have a PMR-30 and a Automag II.

This little cartridge works all out of proportion to its ''paper'' ballistics. Its about perfect for Javalina and works great as a Cougar round shooting them over dogs in trees. Some states allow the cartridge for big game!

For me its harvested Coyotes, Turkey, Deer and too many smaller game to count. It has range limitations and someone in wide open expanses may not see its attributes as quickly. But here in the NE its about perfect and a daily companion for me.

Cost.. well that doesn't matter cause you will spend $$ on things you like... are cigarettes cheap, how about good Scotch? How about a nice dinner with the wife? You could have grabbed a burger and fries for 10-15$ Instead you spend $100 for steak and wine... COST is relative guys.

CW

#39 ·
Since I last took part in this thread, I sold the LH Precision 10/22 Magnum. I still have a Ruger Single Six Convertible and bought a Savage 93GL that will shoot 22 WMR. The Savage was a real bargain (under $250 New). With a bit of simple no tools adjustment, I eliminated its only flaw (miss feeding from the magazine). With my Nikon 6-18X40 Side Focus Buckmaster mounted, it is accurate enough out to 100 yards to be a joy to shoot.

Also since I last wrote in this thread, sold the Ruger No. 1 220 Swift. Then I tried and discarded a Martini Cadet in 218 Bee and a Browning Model 78 in 243 Winchester. The 220 Swift and 243 were rejected in the end due to my recently acquired lack of interest in killing small animals at long ranges. I also sold them and the Martini to finance the construction of a (no expenses spared) BR rifle in 222 Rem. With a summer of shooting the 222, I became so impressed with the accuracy that I bought a Ruger No. 1 in 222 Rem.

So now I have two rifles in 22 LR, two rifles in 222 Rem. and one in 22 WMR. If I ever change my mind about hunting, I would still not go with 223 Rem but would look hard at something in the 30s. A lever gun in 30-30 or 357 Magnum would do for deer. If I ever get the urge to kill small animals, the Savage in 22 WMR would to just fine.

#40 ·
.22WMR vs. .223? Aside from the hunting aspects, we must remember that during the american revolutionary war, more men (from our side) died for the lack of powder and shot that anything else. Yes I have .223's semi autos, but if it ever came down to bugging out and defending my family against hordes of former foodstamp recipients, whose EBT cards no longer work? I can tell you this for every .223 round I could carry I can carry 3
.22WMR.

Price point of ammo for me was not an issue as I well supplied before this panic, at that time there was a very big difference in cost of quality .223 and .22WMR.

I have an excel Accelerator, it will hold minute of coffee can, with irons at 85 yrds. I'm certain the pistol is capable of much better groups than I am.

pck823 this video is for you, keep trying you will get one.

#41 ·
Amen brother the lowly .22 mag amd 22 rimfire will bust a coconut all day at 2 to 3hundred yards,and ya can carry a chitload with you.Great videos and I luv the east Texas people,food ,and land,and no income tax. Your scenario is a possibility that can happen.God Bless America.

#42 ·
Ray.
Just a suggestion -- how about a duplicate upper in 22lr? My 22 magnum setup has a special buffer that I don't want to remove so I decided to only use the lower for rimfire. The 22lr upper doesn't care anything about what buffer I have in the tube so no changes need to be made other that swapping the uppers and magazines.

Picture of my updated 22 magnum upper (new handguards) on top and the 22lr upper below on the bags.

#43 ·
Boomer,
With a raft of 22LR uppers already on the market, for me to make one is like trying to re-invent the wheel.

My system uses a standard buffer and spring.
The only difference in the lower is a bolt travel limiter that goes in behind the buffer to keep the bolt from going back too far.
Regards, Ray

#45 · (Edited)
Sorry Grand Poobah CW!
I hear you are jonesing for some .22WMR ammo, so a video probably is in order. I belive you will find this video interesting, in light of the currant political climate in your home state.
BTW, you know you could always move to one of the free states, like Mississippi..........22WMR can still be found here albiet at a high price. Peace through superior firepower!STW

#47 ·
CW sounds like you enjoyed that video as much as I did! FYI I am a transplant from the tyranical state of Illinois, and yes I did just up and leave. Best decision I ever made. Illinois would be a great place to live if it did not include Chitcago. Their ilk can over-rule the rest of the state by their misguided numbers! If it fell off into lake Michigan I would seriously consider moving back.
Ohlongarm, yes I'm with you on the east texas folks! glad you liked the videos also, and yes the scenario I described is very possible, in fact I belive it did happen recently on a small scale.....Just a taste of what's to come I'm afraid! Keep your powder dry my friend!
STW
The smile is of a guy with 2 PMR 30's!
:2ar15smil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.