7K views 45 replies 34 participants last post by  NuclearCrowbar 
#1 ·
Its been awhile since youve talked about your
10/22 conversion to 22 mag. How is it working
out? Thinking about building my own Chief Dave
conversion and was just wondering. ???

#28 ·
Chief Dave Special Please

Chief or CJS dad, I am wondering if I could get the directions from one of you please to do the conversion to a 22 mag.
I have saved the web site for the fellow who also did this, and cut the trigger assembly I believe instead of the receiver at the rear. But if I remember correctly, there are some differences in the way you went about it from him Chief, and I really would like to get a copy of your plans.
I have a 20" SS 77/22 mag barrel, the sporter taper, and a Wally world special stock to put it in. The extra receiver and trigger assembly. Or a Volg., or Whistle Pig .920 barrel, that could be used if the 77 barrel proved inaccurate.
I know the basics Chief, but its the little details that I am interested in that really make this an interesting conversion.
Email me at mutwagn@pirate4x4.com please about this. If you could I would be most appreciative.
Thank you very much, Andy

#31 ·
Always like to dig up an old thread on occasion.. :) I also would like instructions on how to do the conversion from a 10/22LR to a 10/22mag or 10/17 hmr. My e-mail address is codya@rserv.com .

Thank you ChiefDave.

-Cody

#33 ·
holy garfunkle. I want to do the conversion to but Ill wait a few days before I post my email.

Dave
post the details in full on this site or somewhere else then you dont have to send out a million emails

what about going back to 22lr is that possible with out to much trouble.

the conversion is definalty cheaper than buying one from ruger.

well Ive got my 10/22 aprt on the table, and from what I see I dont see it going back to 22lr after its modified to shoot 22 mags. Im to attached to mine to do something like that to it.
looks like walmart special may be comeing my way. or heck i wonder how much walmart lets the 22mag go for??

were of to dump a few pigeons in the pasture

have a good one all

Evan

#34 ·
Evan, Look at this website.
http://members.shaw.ca/mrruger/Mag conversion.html
It shows a conversion that is similar in many ways to Chief Daves, but it cuts/notches the expendable trigger housing in the rear to gain clearance to move it back enough to clear the magnum magazine. It also cuts the receiver, but only at the magazine well. This looks like it will allow the replacement of the trigger housing with an unmoddified version, allowing you to switch back to 22LRs.
Andy

#42 ·
QUESTION?

I know the barrel is different for a 10/22 22LR and that of the 22Magnum.... but, is the action the same?

I was thinking about picking up a used Ruger 10/22, swaping out the barrels, and buying a 10/22 Magnum Stock from Stafford. Is this the correct way of thinking? For future, I could also do a trigger mod, etc...

Is this all it takes? 22 Mag Barrel, 22Mag magazine, 10/22 22LR action, and 22Mag Stock?

M.

#43 ·
Mark Ducati said:
QUESTION?

I know the barrel is different for a 10/22 22LR and that of the 22Magnum.... but, is the action the same?

...Is this all it takes? 22 Mag Barrel, 22Mag magazine, 10/22 22LR action, and 22Mag Stock?

M.
While I'm not into the 10/22 mag (yet anyway), I can point you to some differences. Others here undoubtably will/can add...

The 10/22mag action has a longer magazine well to accomodate the longer case/mag of the.22Mag (I'm not certain, but I believe the .22Mag receiver is actually longer). Also, the bolt on the .22Mag is made up of a tungsten-steel alloy and is about 3 times heavier than the .22LR version.

The modification being referred to involves drilling new drift pin holes in the receiver, and cutting down the back of the receiver and trigger group in strategic places so that the receiver can be moved aft just far enough to seat a .22Mag magazine where the .22LR magazine would normally go. That, with a new .22Mag barrel, seems to be the bulk of the modification.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.