Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

firing pin problems

18K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  scout22 
#1 ·
I have a ruger 22 mag that I put a 17 barrel on.. I guns action has never been consistant missfires a lot ......took it back to dealer they have tried with no luck....the firing pin hits on the veryedge of bullet. Wher can Isend to get fixed or can my work bench solve the prob, web help ???

#2 ·
Power Custom makes a firing pin like ruger should have on all their magnums,

At the bottom you will see what the firing pin should look like, and the one with the point tip that causes problems, I have posted this several times, I wish it would become a sticky.. maybe one day we can get a sticky in the magnum section for the common questions, if we can round eveyrthing up.

Link to the firing pin from a great sponsor http://www.hawktecharms.com/ruger/10-22mag.htm

PC 10/22 Magnum A-2 Steel Firing Pin

G
#5 ·
Bolt Pinning

I went to the link provided for Bolt Pinning.......but there's "nothing" there. Does anybody have any links or information on Bolt Pinning??? THANKS.

Also...anybody have any experience with the install and then perfomance of the Power Custom Firing Pin for the Ruger 10/22 Magnum??

#8 ·
Light firing pin strikes and ejection issues

I just fixed two problems on my new to me Magnum. It was not firing one shot out of every clip and would not always pull an unfired round out of the chamber. You could see that the firing pin was not striking hard enough. The head space was O/K so I flipped the gun over and looked inside the action with the clip out. While sliding the bolt back and forth I could see the ejector was being pushed away from the rim as it enters the barrel(just before the bolt is completely closed). So I guessed the bolt may be being held back a bit createing eccesive head space. I took my dremmel and ground a little off the nose of the ejector and it solved both problems. The ejector hangs on to the rim now and the bolt closes all the way. The dent in the rim is a lot deaper now. Dirt in that resess would probably cause the same problem.

#11 ·
Stock question

I don't think I will be letting it go any time soon! I'm thinking of customizing it allready. I would like to get a new barrel and stock. I have been looking at Stockys classic stocks in walnut but don't see a listing for the magnum. Does the standard 10/22 and magnum fit the same stocks?

#13 ·
Hello, sorry to revive an old thread, but my inquiry is directly related to this. I am a brand new owner of a new (to me) Magnum Research MLR in 22wmr. This gun has been shot quite a bit, but still has plenty of life left. The single problem that I am having is FTF at a rate of at least 1 round per magazine of 9. These are never noticeably "lighter" strikes and all FTF have fired the second time I loaded them. I haven't done any tear down or deep cleaning and have seen that this can sometimes fix the problem. My question is regarding the stock MLR bolt design. Does it come with the firing pin like the Ruger models were equipped with or does it come with the better design, since it is marketed as a "factory upgraded" model? I don't particularly want to send the bolt off to have it pinned and absolutely don't regard myself as competent enough to pin it myself. Any guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

#14 · (Edited)
Wanted to follow up after my first attempt at fixing my light strike/FTF issues. I ordered a Select Fire Firing Pin and FP Return Spring late last week. Received and installed said parts on Monday, giving the rifle a good deep cleaning as I went. Upon comparing the stock firing pin and the select fire product, it is apparent that Magnum Research does indeed use the "stock" ruger style firing pin. The front half (business end) of the select fire product was approximately 1/16" longer than the front half of the stock version. The first two photos are of my stock firing pin after removal. Note the "rubbed" section on both sides of the front. These areas are almost perfectly symmetrical and likely mean that movement was at least somewhat restricted. The next photo is of an old spent casing (middle) with two spent casings from trial firing yesterday (on the sides). It is easy to see that the longer firing pin and better range of motion are creating much better contact with a chambered round. I still have a Power Custom Heavy Hammer Spring on order, but I'm not entirely sure that it is even needed at this point! I went from 10-20% FTF per magazine of 9, to firing through 25+ rounds flawlessly. Would highly recommend a firing pin replacement with select fire products if you are having similar issues with FTF!

Update: I have now fired well over 250 rounds with no single instance of FTF! It seems that the Select Fire Firing pin really did the trick!

Attachments

#15 ·

Mine works great and never had a problem, but I know what you mean. Look straight down with the bolt closed and see if the firing pin is actually deep enough into the barrel or at least even with the hooks of the extractor. the rim of the cartridge might not have enough room to properly "dent a little" of the rim when it strikes. I'm going to check mine again and get back to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.