Sig/Hammerli Trailside - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:18 PM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Any new information from anyone on how their TS is doing? Good, bad, or indifferent? I have a 6" TS that I have only shot a little with no major problems, but I am having CZ-453 fever and trying to decide whether to keep it or sell it.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM
GunWhoreDer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Trailside

They are all dissentigrating into thin air, Just kidding.
Seriously though, Sell me yours while I am still in the
market to buy them. Offer won't last forever.

fE-mail me at [email protected]
Old 06-08-2007, 08:30 PM
glenn brown
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Simons View Post
I hope they reject them with 5-shot 1” group at 25 yards, that is pretty sad.

My .45 cal 1911 is guaranteed to shoot 5-shot 1.5” groups at 50 yards and the test target more than supports that claim (Ransom Rest) and 45’s are generally not known for their superior accuracy.

I would expect my .22lr pistols to do better than the .45, I expect 1” 5-shot groups at 50 yards from a good .22lr pistol or I may reject it.

Since my intent here is not a put down on the Trailside I will tell you when I had a Trailside 6” Competition I did ammo testing with it and could get 5-shot 1” groups at 50 yards with that pistol (pistol rest and scope, probably better with Ransom Rest).
My 4 1/2" came with a 25 m target (not 50 like I first wrote) that is about 5/8 inch. Wish I could shoot that well!

Last edited by glenn brown; 06-17-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:25 PM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn brown View Post
My 4 1/2" came with a 50 m target that is about 5/8 inch. Wish I could shoot that well!
Very nice! I didn't know any of them came with a 50 m target.

This one, a 6", has a 25m target that is just over 3/4", about 20mm CTC.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Essayons
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had a Trailside (basic 4" model with an Ultra Dot Match Dot) for about two years. Mine has been flawless (I shoot mostly SK Standard Plus, which shoots straight and reliably in all my .22s). I have no complaints.

Last time my buddies and I were doing some informal plinking, I surprised everyone by taking the top of a garden Gnome's hat off at 75 yards before they could get him with their 10/22s.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Mike in Salem
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an Xesse topped with a Leupold red dot that I have been shooting Bullseye with for 3+ years now. And after 15,000 or so rounds I will say that I have had no problems with my Trailside. About a year ago I had Larry Carter of Larry's Guns install one of his trigger kits. Now a good trigger is a great trigger. Not as adjustable as an Olympic style, but still a great trigger.

I have been through the gamut of ammo and have found that my pistol likes Aguila 40 gr subsonic.

Here are my thoughts on some of the problems others have with the Trailside. First, contact Larry's Guns and purchase a couple of extra trigger springs. At $5.00 each that should be no hardship. Second, Do not shoot high velocity and never ever shoot hyper velocity ammo in your Trailside. It is that simple, don't do it. If you need to shoot that fast of ammo buy a pistol that was designed for it. I would recommend something like the Ruger Mk II. And then blast away to your hearts content.

I will agree that the Trailside might not be the best designed pistol in the world, and they have had more that there share of problems. And Sig balling out on the whole thing well... I wont be buying a Sig any time soon.

I bought my Trailside as a second level Bullseye pistol and for that it has worked out well.

Cheers,
Mike

Shot indoors, offhand at 50 feet

Last edited by Mike in Salem; 06-17-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Editied for content
Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 PM
glenn brown
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn brown View Post
My 4 1/2" came with a 50 m target that is about 5/8 inch. Wish I could shoot that well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Very nice! I didn't know any of them came with a 50 m target. ...
I just looked again at mine after your post and it is 25 m target and not 50.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 AM
the_forester

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So far, I haven't had to modify the trailside at all with the exception of sights - and I have gone back to the original "fixed" rear and created a new front that is far narrower and closer to the line of fire than the OEM version.

I am going to start making a new set of grips today out of oak. The stock grips are a bit too fat for my hands and I do not like the fat profile of the lower section of the grips. I am also going to cut a bevel into the new set of grips so that the magazine will slide right in quickly.

You know that plastic fake barrel weight? JUNK! By design alone it's horrible and mine will fall right off if I clip it on - the threads on that tiny bit of plastic are fried and it won't go back on. Larry's guns suggests the iron weights are on backorder - I'm wondering if they will ever be in stock? Instead of going that way though, I'm probably going to turn this into a 24/7 carry pistol.

One thing I am seriously considering is having a quality gunsmith cut down the barrel to about 3 1/2" with a barrel indent and target crown, and then putting a dovetail into the top portion of the barrel and about a 1 1/2" dovetail into the receiver to mount a flashlight to.

Next time around, I'm going with another stainless Ruger , and then I'm going to polish and/or adjust the trigger and sear groups (like I always do) call tactical solutions and have them build me a shorter barrel/receiver that is lightweight and if I have a decent chunk of change left, I will purchase a Docter 3.5 MOA red dot on it and do whatever I want with it - include win competitions.

Last edited by the_forester; 06-24-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:35 PM
GunWhoreDer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You will save a lot by purchasing one of my Optima 2000 / JPoint (Made in England) sights along with a Trailside or Ruger Mark II mount. I have sold over 100 units and everyone loves them. They weigh only 1/2 oz. compared to the much heavier metal bodied sights. The Optima's Polymer frame (As in Glock) & polycarbonate lens (As in shooting glasses which are not made of glass for a good reason) are extremely tough and can hold up to 50BMG shooting. Hell you can get about 3 Optimas from me for the price of 1 Docter. It's also a little smaller and much lighter than the Docter. See my ad here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=324347&page=1
Thanks, GunWhoreDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_forester View Post
if I have a decent chunk of change left, I will purchase a Docter 3.5 MOA red dot on it and do whatever I want with it - include win competitions.

Last edited by GunWhoreDer; 06-25-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you are in the market for a "heads-up" sight, try to compare them side by side if possible. They may look similar, but that's where it ends. The Optima has a plastic lens and frame, while the Docter has an alloy frame and glass lens. The dot on the Docter is more round and red compared with the Optima (which is more orange-colored and not as well defined.

The Optima narrowly wins in ease of adjustment over the Docter, and the Ultradot L/T is the most difficult.

None are repeatable enough to facilitate switching from a 50' zero to 50 yards and back again. They are best suited for sighting in at a specific range and letting it set for that range.

I own and shoot an Optima 2000, an Ultradot L/T and two DocterSights................chim
Old 06-25-2007, 09:11 AM
the_forester

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
[QUOTE=chim;1468914]
I own and shoot an Optima 2000, an Ultradot L/T and two DocterSights................chim

That's what I was thinking straight on - those aren't docter or Trijicon brand sights he's selling...I'm sure they're not bad sights, but plastic can certainly get scratched and/or broken easier than alloy or glass.

Maybe that's the price difference?

I haven't ever owned one, but thought if there was any sight I was going to mount to a pistol, that would be it.

3.5 moa is less than 1" at 25 yards, which is just about as tight as anyone I know can hold a pistol.

Chim - in your experience can you group tighter with these red dots than you can with open sights at 25 yards or more?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Forester, first of all I didn't intend to imply that the Optimas are bad sights. I like the one I have, but not as much as the Docters. The L/T is one I could live without.

I tend to shoot better with a dot sight than with open sights at most any distance. This is probably more true when shooting Timed or Rapid fire. It's easier for me to get back on target with the dots.

The type of dot (heads-up versus tube) doesn't seem to make any difference except for weight and balance. One thing the tube type dots have going for them is the degree of brightness adjustment available. The sights in the picture I posted automatically adjust the dot brightness to the ambient light. There are some ranges with low light at the line and very bright light at the target that cause the dots to be a bit dimmer than I'd prefer. Only the L/T has a manual override that allows the shooter to select brightness - and that's only a selection between auto and full bright...................chim
Old 06-25-2007, 12:32 PM
the_forester

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim View Post
Forester, first of all I didn't intend to imply that the Optimas are bad sights. I like the one I have, but not as much as the Docters. The L/T is one I could live without.

I tend to shoot better with a dot sight than with open sights at most any distance. This is probably more true when shooting Timed or Rapid fire. It's easier for me to get back on target with the dots.

The type of dot (heads-up versus tube) doesn't seem to make any difference except for weight and balance. One thing the tube type dots have going for them is the degree of brightness adjustment available. The sights in the picture I posted automatically adjust the dot brightness to the ambient light. There are some ranges with low light at the line and very bright light at the target that cause the dots to be a bit dimmer than I'd prefer. Only the L/T has a manual override that allows the shooter to select brightness - and that's only a selection between auto and full bright...................chim
I looked back at gunwhoreder's post and noticed that's not just any plastic we're talking about - polycarbonate - maybe that's a better way to go than the docter? Definitely cheaper. Is it smaller than the docter? Man those sights are tempting!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Like I said, I have an Optima, and consider it a keeper. I have on intention of selling it. Nothing wrong with the Optima, but it's not exactly like a Docter for less money. If I were to be limited to just one sight of that type, it would be a Docter. I bought the second Docter after using the Optima, the L/T and the first Docter.

Size is almost the same as the Docter. Both sights look like they would fit onto the same base, but the little "Lego" nubs that index them for assembly are spaced just a little differently.

I realize that there have been advances in materials since the 1911 was introduced, but I have a tendency to look at things as being wood, metal or plastic.

My Glock 26 grip frame is "plastic" to me. Don't try to confuse me with all this newfangled "fiberglass filled, polystyrene, UV-stabilized, ultra high density" stuff ...............chim
Old 06-27-2007, 04:12 AM
sewmacoil
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trailside

No trouble with my Trailside. It is an early one with six inch barrel. Have never shot high speed ammo and never dry fired it. There were warnings with it when purchased to avoid hyper vel. ammo and dry firing. Maybe this is the key to long life with this pistol as I've never had any trouble with mine.