Chassis Style Wood Stock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:10 AM
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Chassis Style Wood Stock

This is not a 22, but I thought you guys would like to see this unusual build. The chassis style rifle has a nice straight line look, so I thought I would try to build one out of wood. The body of this build is figured ash, with walnut trim. For my butt stock, I am using some parts of an AR15, I had lying around.
The action will be pillared and bedded, with a floated barrel channel.

The walnut knob on the back of the receiver is for the bolt running through the hardwood rod I used to hold the buttstock in place. The other two walnut knobs, hold the adjustable cheek rest. This is what the rifle is gonna look like. I still have a lot of sanding and some shaping to do.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You beat me to it. I have been stirring ideas for one around in my head for several months but other things have kept shunting any action to the side. Now that summer is over I may find time to actually do something constructive. I have the rifle and about all the materials to make one happen waiting. I just need to finalize my idea and get busy.

I like your build and am looking forward to more pictures as it progresses.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
You beat me to it. I have been stirring ideas for one around in my head for several months but other things have kept shunting any action to the side. Now that summer is over I may find time to actually do something constructive. I have the rifle and about all the materials to make one happen waiting. I just need to finalize my idea and get busy.

I like your build and am looking forward to more pictures as it progresses.
Thanks for checking out my work. Iíve been throwing this idea around for a while and since Iím too cheap to go out and spend 4 or 5 hundred on a metal stock, this will be more fun. Iím not look for a rifle that shoots one hole groups, I just want something no one else has. The building is what I enjoy, not the assembly of pieces. Iíve never been that guy who has to have what everyone else has got
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2020, 06:10 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no interest in buying a chassis and sticking a barreled cation in it t all. I can assemble parts of course but that just doesnít interest me. I enjoy shooting but I also enjoy dreaming up what I want and then building it. I enjoy the building just as much as the shooting.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:27 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Very Cool
Old 10-29-2020, 07:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I have no interest in buying a chassis and sticking a barreled cation in it t all. I can assemble parts of course but that just doesn’t interest me. I enjoy shooting but I also enjoy dreaming up what I want and then building it. I enjoy the building just as much as the shooting.
I really think I enjoy building more than shooting, at least when It’s cold weather. The part I like about the shooting, is visiting with the rest of our Tuesday shooters. There’s only about six or seven guys, but there’s a lot of knowledge sitting around. If you need to know how to do something, there will be someone that can help.
Larry

Last edited by lbjennings; 10-29-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:29 AM
Gus1957

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great work. How did you attach butt stock to the wood? Looks like it might be screws with an adaptor plate? What glues are you using in-between wood parts & if you used glue between and wood and plastic parts? What caliber is this for?

Thanks for the help and sharing your ideas !!!
Old 10-30-2020, 08:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus1957 View Post
Great work. How did you attach butt stock to the wood? Looks like it might be screws with an adaptor plate? What glues are you using in-between wood parts & if you used glue between and wood and plastic parts? What caliber is this for?

Thanks for the help and sharing your ideas !!!
Thanks for checking out my build. The caliber is 6.5 Grendel. I ordered a barreled action from Brownells (it was their last one). This is my second Grendel Iíve built. The first one is a really good shooter.
Attacking the buffer tube was a little challenging. My first idea, was trying to find some kind of metal adapter and screw it to the base of my wood, but I think it would have been too weak. I ended up using a one inch hardwood dow. It runs from the base of the ash wood, to the back of the receiver. The walnut trim glued on the base of the ash only hides the buffer tube threads. I donít have a horizontal drilling rig, so the middle piece of wood on the stock (there are three) was cut out to accommodate the one inch dow, then the three pieces glued together with Titebond 3. My first thought was to epoxy the dow in, but ended up using the two screws that attach the grip and one carriage bolt, that goes clear through. Itís very solid and should have no problem handling the recoil or the weight of the butt.
The length of pull is not adjusted by sliding the butt on the buffer tube (like the AR). Then, I ran into another problem, how to attach a rubber recoil pad. I ended up using a piece of walnut, cut at an angle, to square up the butt. The rubber pad was epoxied to the walnut, then the walnut was screwed through the AR butt, into the ash wood that hides most of the butt assembly. The top of the walnut is screwed into the back of the hardwood dow, this took a four inch screw. I had to drill out the back of the buffer tube to do this.
I hope this kinda explains how everything goes together. Figuring out all this, was the biggest challenge of the build. I think the end result will be worth the effort.
Larry
Old 10-30-2020, 09:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Here's a couple more pictures. The bolt and trigger is inlet and I think the sanding is finished, now I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with the white wood. I need to add a little color and try to bring out the figure.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:15 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Neat idea/execution...
Old 10-31-2020, 04:17 PM
txtrout

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool
Old 10-31-2020, 06:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Here's a few pictures of the finished rifle. I would call the stock a golden oak color. Most of the pictures are a little different color shade. I hope someone else will try a build like this. We need more of these on the range.
It feels great, I hope it's a good shooter. I'll be doing the barrel break-in next Tuesday, then I’ll start working on a load.

Last edited by lbjennings; 11-01-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:26 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks good to me.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:36 AM
MackDaddy1962

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That came out great Larry. Nice work, as usual!
Old 11-10-2020, 04:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Thought I would give a range report on my new Howa. Last week was barrel break in time. I did ten shots, cleaning after ever shot. Yesterday, was a little more barrel break in, with cleaning after every two shots, for a total of ten. I thought the last ten shots were worth displaying. The space between the two groups happened when my scope slipped 3/4 of an inch. My fault, the flyer was also my fault, the screws were a little loose. This rifle is gonna be a good shooter, if I can do my part. Not bad for only 20 rounds down the pipe.
Larry