Owning a domain name. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Owning a domain name.

Couple years ago on the advice of a friend, I bought a domain name on GoDaddy. I figured it would be a good one for a business I'd maybe start (back burner project at the time). IIRC, I paid <$10 for it. Just came up for annual renewal, and it will cost me $18 to keep.

I don't know how GoDaddy figures what a domain name is worth, but they estimate mine is now valued at $935. Seems a bit optimistic. I wouldn't buy it for that much. Not planning to sell it; I'm contemplating starting a business if I can't find a job soon.

I don't have a specific question, but I'd like to hear any general insight from folks here who have experience concerning owning and/or profiting from a domain name.

I owned a small (pre-internet) business years ago so I know how that works, but I'm just learning about this online stuff.

TIA
Old 10-05-2020, 04:00 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Since my recent issues with me being locked out of yahoo and all of my saved documents and e-mails with attorneys and such all gone, a man said to get a domain and use that name for your own e-mail, which nobody can ever shut you down, since you own it. To me, which what I just went through, that $18 is worth never having anyone else own my e-mail. I would stick with it and keep it for e-mail if nothing else.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:49 AM
BigTimePlinker
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Since my recent issues with me being locked out of yahoo and all of my saved documents and e-mails with attorneys and such all gone, a man said to get a domain and use that name for your own e-mail, which nobody can ever shut you down, since you own it. To me, which what I just went through, that $18 is worth never having anyone else own my e-mail. I would stick with it and keep it for e-mail if nothing else.
This is absolutely great advice. I have a domain name dedicated strictly for email. I can also use that email for important stuff only whereas my gmail is used for subscriptions and signups or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 05:25 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree with above. I've owned mine for about 20 years now, renew in the biggest chunks available. I no longer have a web site but will keep the domain forever for email. I recently dropped the GoDaddy email service as the cost went up ten-fold. The family can just have an alias to whatever "real" email service they are using. The only one I needed to help set up was my mom.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:53 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wife wanted her own email and I got one for her that she compiled after trial & error. I did keep our 16 yr old email address and to be taken away will have to be pried from my cold dead fingers! 'Mine mine mine! ha-ha-ha hah!' ~ Daffy Duck
Old 10-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!!
I've had my own domain for 18 years, run my own website, host my own pictures, and do not rely on so-called "free" sites for *ANYTHING*.

My strong advice is to stay away from godaddy...
Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It was once the rule that domains were yours to keep.... until someone else claimed it. The rules were a bit odd, but you could register a domain such as "mine.com" in 1993 and use it blissfully until someone with the business license for "Mine, Inc" claimed it. As a business they took precedence, especially if they were in business prior to your registration. Eventually the rules changed so that whoever had the trademark on the name had the right... mostly. That was a hassle, but you could contest their claim and sometimes win if you prove that you claimed the name in good faith.

There is a policy that governs it. The UDRP is outlined at https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/help/dndr/udrp-en

I've been offered $500 for my domain. It's still not for sale. I once owned TANG.COM which was quite sought after in China. I'd registered it because it was similar to my domain and people were sending ME email at that domain. For about a decade I redirected web traffic to the site of a very nice and polite person in China who simply asked nicely. I stripped out any mail for me and passed the rest to his domain. I eventually gave it him.

Dan
Old 10-05-2020, 01:33 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the start of the internet thing, delta.com was the faucet company.. for many years!
Old 10-05-2020, 04:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting.

Can someone direct me to instructions on how/where to use my domain name as an email? Since GoDaddy isn't a good place to do it, where is?

Please dumb it down for me.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 PM
NoNewTricks
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
As far as I know just having a domain name doesn’t get you an email account. You have to have a hosting account.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Interesting.

Can someone direct me to instructions on how/where to use my domain name as an email? Since GoDaddy isn't a good place to do it, where is?

Please dumb it down for me.
To make it really simple you need a little bit of background. Computers don't send messages from one domain to the next. They send them to addresses made up of a long string of numbers. Each computer is assigned it's own number. Humans don't remember numbers really well.

To take care of that, the domain name system (DNS) is a registry that cross references the numbers to names we can remember like www.google.com. When you type in www.google.com your computer sends a message to a DNS system that your network administrators (or cable company or your ISP) have set up for their customers. The DNS replies that www.google.com is really 172.217.6.36 and that is the web page that you see when you connect to google.

TLDR: OK. That's the background. Domains let humans tell computers how to find each other.

You can't send mail to just any computer. The computer that handles mail for your domain has to run special software that will send, receive or store email. Trying to send email to a computer that is not running mail software is like throwing me a box of 30-06 shells as you drive by. I can't catch, and if I did catch it I would not know what to do with them.

Godaddy will register your domain and set up email service for that domain. But... after the first year the cost goes up to about $25 per year for the domain and $6 PER MONTH for each email address.

Google has a different idea for non business customers. They will register your domain for $9 a year, and will let you forward mail for up to 100 addresses to existing mail boxes. The way it works is:

1) Create a gmail account such as [email protected] if you don't have a mail account somewhere.
2) Create a domain such as guns.com by going to https://domains.google/ and use the tools there to forward mail that is addressed to [email protected] to your [email protected] mailbox. $9 a year for registering the domain. The email forwarding is free.
3) Read and send mail from the [email protected] mailbox, but configure your mail program to say that you sent the mail from [email protected]. Noone will notice that it's really from [email protected]

I used to manage mail and DNS servers for large companies, so I have my own DNS and email systems at home. I initially used them to test customer configurations. Now they are for my personal use.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow. Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:42 AM
Szumi
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You don't ever own a domain. Don't pay the registrar and it is up for grabs.

I used godaddy for too many years. I moved registration to Hover and web hosting to inmotion. Much happier.

Years back Charter quit serving my area so my email address I was using went poof. New isp, new address. Too much stuff gets tied to email now a days. Having your own registered domain makes sense.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:58 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbstoo View Post
1) Create a gmail account such as [email protected] if you don't have a mail account somewhere.
2) Create a domain such as guns.com by going to https://domains.google/ and use the tools there to forward mail that is addressed to [email protected] to your [email protected] mailbox. $9 a year for registering the domain. The email forwarding is free.
3) Read and send mail from the [email protected] mailbox, but configure your mail program to say that you sent the mail from [email protected]. Noone will notice that it's really from [email protected]

I used to manage mail and DNS servers for large companies, so I have my own DNS and email systems at home. I initially used them to test customer configurations. Now they are for my personal use.
This requires a gmail, email account. How is that any different from a Yahoo, email account? If you PO google they can give you the boot. It would be very easy for someone to be mistaken for a molester, terrorist or worse yet gun runner. Either you control all the hardware or it is all the same risk.

Szumi, is a lot closer to independent. He rents the hardware from inmotion. A person could use a desk top computer, just keep it online 24/7 and do your backups. Not saying it is practical. Just saying.

For me, I have a local copy of any important information: paper, backup hard drive, disks and USB.

Last edited by fourbore; 10-09-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
This requires a gmail, email account. How is that any different from a Yahoo, email account? If you PO google they can give you the boot. It would be very easy for someone to be mistaken for a molester, terrorist or worse yet gun runner. Either you control all the hardware or it is all the same risk.
With google, you do "own" the domain name as much as any domain is "owned". If google kicks you off you can have that domain registered with another registrar like godaddy or web.com or Network Solutions.

The destination for the forwarded mail is also your choice. You can forward the mail from a domain registered at Google (cheap) to an email account at Yahoo.

Yahoo appears to want you to establish a paid business account with them. They also have a clause in their service agreement that lets them look at your mail for targeted marketing purposes.

Disclaimer; I don't use the google nor yahoo mail forwarding. I have the equivalent of an ISP in my spare bedroom.

Dan