Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:21 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
vertical split rings

Warne, really like the Vapor line. what other manufactures are there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2021, 04:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician1 View Post

Sending you a PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
No criticism here, but wondering why you want vertical split? I have one set that came with a used scope I bought, and hate them compared to regular rings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2021, 05:00 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ill post a link, i drink the cool aide, i believe the fundamentals are better. i realize there not as popular.

https://warnescopemounts.com/why-vertically-split/

I believe the way vertical rings wrap the scope is better. like a hose clamp.

horizontal split rings clamp, like a vise. might not want this on a scope. i believe this is why scope manufactures set a torque limit. horizontal rings, that claimed have more clamping force are wider covering more surface area. Same torque setting. being wider, can affect my relief. Not being able to move the scope as much.

I believe with a vertical split ring there is more surface area contact by design. the warne vapor is A two screw design.
bottom screw to rail, is 25 inch pounds. The top screw is 20 inch pounds wrapping the rings around the scope. That screw is under constant tension. As well as the bottom screw under constant tension. Neither screw should ever back out.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I collect Kimber rimfire rifles and I have many sets of their 2nd generation vertically split rings. They actually are very easy to use and provide a very classy look that complements the rifle and scope. Talley's currently made rings are almost an exact duplicate.

Last edited by SageRat22; 09-15-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:49 PM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks, ill take a look

Old 09-14-2021, 08:10 PM
Appalachian2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a set of the Warne vertical split rings. I bought them just because they were available at a local outdoor store and I wanted to shoot the next day with my new scope. They seem to work fine, but are a bit of a hassle to install and adjust.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the talley vertical rings...they work great...i think the vertical rings are a bit "european"
Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
ill post a link, i drink the cool aide, i believe the fundamentals are better. i realize there not as popular.

https://warnescopemounts.com/why-vertically-split/

I believe the way vertical rings wrap the scope is better. like a hose clamp.

horizontal split rings clamp, like a vise. might not want this on a scope. i believe this is why scope manufactures set a torque limit. horizontal rings, that claimed have more clamping force are wider covering more surface area. Same torque setting. being wider, can affect my relief. Not being able to move the scope as much.

I believe with a vertical split ring there is more surface area contact by design. the warne vapor is A two screw design.
bottom screw to rail, is 25 inch pounds. The top screw is 20 inch pounds wrapping the rings around the scope. That screw is under constant tension. As well as the bottom screw under constant tension. Neither screw should ever back out.

I like vertically split rings, as do some fine riflemakers like Kimber and Weatherby, I particularly like the mechanical economy of using the bottom screws to clamp both the scope and the rifle mount, but the difference in clamping force is miniscule, and any precisely made rings will have more than adequate clamping force to keep a scope from moving. Warne rings are known for their quality and fit, and there not all vertically split by the way.
My personal philosophy is to use vertically split rings on guns without sights that I'm unlikely to remove and replace the scope on often, and rings that stay clamped to the scope when removed on rifles with iron sights that I might want to use without a scope in the way. Many of my rifles have iron sights because I still don't completely trust these new fangled scopes. Of course I'm pretty sure that the phone companies are going to wise up and go back to dials instead of these stupid little buttons.
By the way did you get the PM I sent you?
Old 09-15-2021, 09:26 AM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have both vertically split and horizontally split rings and while I love the looks of vertically split rings it is horizontally split rings that I tend to use more often. They provide a couple of advantages when compared to the vertical split rings. If you ever need to remove the scope from your rifle then with the horizontal rings you just unclamp them from the base and remove rings and scope as one unit. Reinstallation is just the reverse and there is no resetting o the scope’s eye relief or retinal alignment. While the scope may not be perfectly on center when you go to fire it, but then again I have found that it is pretty close and does not take a lot to zero it.
Vertically split rings do not have those advantages.
That is just my experience; yours may be different.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:32 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
For easy on and off, horizontal, for permanent vertical, I find the vertical much easier to use other than quick on and off. There are some QD verticals that cure that as well.

Last edited by gmd1950; 09-15-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:39 AM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovita View Post
I like vertically split rings, as do some fine riflemakers like Kimber and Weatherby, I particularly like the mechanical economy of using the bottom screws to clamp both the scope and the rifle mount, but the difference in clamping force is miniscule, and any precisely made rings will have more than adequate clamping force to keep a scope from moving. Warne rings are known for their quality and fit, and there not all vertically split by the way.
My personal philosophy is to use vertically split rings on guns without sights that I'm unlikely to remove and replace the scope on often, and rings that stay clamped to the scope when removed on rifles with iron sights that I might want to use without a scope in the way. Many of my rifles have iron sights because I still don't completely trust these new fangled scopes. Of course I'm pretty sure that the phone companies are going to wise up and go back to dials instead of these stupid little buttons.
By the way did you get the PM I sent you?

just looked again, i received no PM

Old 09-15-2021, 11:17 AM
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
No criticism here, but wondering why you want vertical split? I have one set that came with a used scope I bought, and hate them compared to regular rings.
Me too. They're a PITA to install and offer no advantages that I know of.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
just looked again, i received no PM

OK, I tried again. Operator error I think.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:15 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
For easy on and off, horizontal, for permanent vertical, I find the vertical much easier to use other than quick on and off. There are some QD verticals that cure that as well.
Yes, the standard Talley rings that are very similar to the vintage Kimber (Len Brownell) rings clamp to the bases just like any other horizonally split rings and have independent clamping onto the scope tube, whether QD or not, though I agree many vertically split rings do let loose of the scope when removed from the rifle. Warne offered/offers some too. It seems this may be a common misconception regarding all vertically split scope rings.

You can see in this pic that the large single screw which secures the ring to the base is separate from the two smaller screws that secure the ring to the scope.
Talley 1.jpg

It really gets down to a matter of taste. I happen to highly prefer the look of vertically split rings.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 09-15-2021 at 02:22 PM.