Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:03 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A closer look at the Sako P72

While doing some research online, I came up with very little info on the P72 rifles. What the internals look like, what they look like out of the stock, etc..

Well I recently picked up a very nice P72 varmint with the heavy barrel and the beaver tail forearm stock. Since I always like to disassemble and clean every new gun I buy, I figured I would snap some pictures.
Hopefully I can answer some peoples questions by posting these pictures as I sometimes found some incorrect or conflicting info online.
When I bought it, it had some weaver 40A scope bases on it. No clue if it ever had the factory dovetail base on it or not. Since the bases only offered one mounting option, I went ahead and removed them.

A few general shots:

I did manage to find some factory dovetail bases, technically for M78, but they fit perfectly. Only issue was one of the screws was missing. I ended up using one of the screws that was with the weaver bases. It does not match, but oh well, not much I can do about that. One of those screws would be unobtainium.

So how about the bolt. I saw places online saying the P72 only had 1 locking lug. That is incorrect. It does in fact have two locking lugs. One is the bolt handle, and the other one you can see lined up with the striker in the picture:

The bolt head used dual extractors. The bolt disassembly is pretty straight forward. Just de cock it and push out the pin on the rear bolt shroud and it comes apart.

The trigger is a single stage and is adjustable. It has a screw that you can use to adjust the tension on a spring that pushes on the trigger to increase or decrease the pull weight. It was set pretty high, but even back off, it was still heavy. The spring was quite stiff. I swapped it out for one from a ball point pen and applied some moly grease to the sear surfaces. The pull weight is now about 15-16 ounces. I can live with that.

The stock is interesting in that they use shims to adjust the fitment of the stock and the trigger guard and action.

The barrel is free floating all the way from the receiver up to the last half inch of the stock, where the stock applies a little pressure. Not sure if it was meant to be that way or not, but for now I do not see any reason to alter it.
The barrel is 24 inches long and measures 7/8 inch at the muzzle. It is drilled for open sights, but none are present and it does not look like it ever had any. There are plug screws in the holes. I chambered a live round and then ejected it, and it does just barely engrave the bullet with the rifling. About the same amount at my P94S.

All and all I am very happy I accidently stumbled across it for sale online and jumped on it as soon as I saw it. I knew the P72's were scarce and it being the heavy barrel model was just icing on the cake (I prefer heavy barrels over sporters myself).
Next I need to find some rings so I can mount a scope.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:52 PM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's very tidy. Barely used in it's 50 years of life. Good score.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:03 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (280)
REALLY nice! There are too many that "they don't make 'em like they used to". You got a good one.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2021, 07:01 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
After some measuring and a lot of looking, I finally found a set of rings to work.
While I generally hate vertical split scope rings, the pickings are rather slim for 11mm dovetail, 30mm scope tube, and a tall height. I ended up with a set made by talley.
While it was a pain to get them on and hold everything in place, and level the scope, I finally got it mounted.
I will say I am very glad I found the factory dovetail rails/bases. If I was stuck using the weaver bases it came with, I would not have been able to get the scope mounted in a comfortable position. With the factory dovetail, I was able to place the scope where I wanted it and have a good spread on the rings.
The scope is a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2, 5-25x50 FFP. I picked it up used from a member here.

Had some time today and got to sight it in. I did not have as much time as I wanted to test several different type of ammo to see what it likes, but so far it has liked what I have put through it.

In the first picture, the top center is cci SV and the bottom two are Norma tac-22.
In the 2nd picture, the top are Eley Action, and the bottom is Eley Force.
I bought a brick of the Eley force a year or two ago and have yet to find a gun it shot good in. I was about to mag dump it out a pistol, but figured for some reason to give it a try in this rifle. Low and behold, this rifle seems to really like it. Got three 50 round boxes left. They will be dedicated to the P72 now.
Both targets were at 50 yards with a front rest and rear bag.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:22 PM
mmsb27

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice rifle. Looks similar to the P75 Sako made in 22 Hornet. Trigger looks different, as I think the Hornet version had a 2 stage trigger, with lots of take up. Nice shooting too!
Old 09-13-2021, 04:41 PM
IGE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice write-up! I have one of those,built 407 rifles later. Glad to know about shims,mine were missing. Did you notice that the barrel is a reverse taper?
Old 09-14-2021, 06:56 PM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGE View Post
Very nice write-up! I have one of those,built 407 rifles later. Glad to know about shims,mine were missing. Did you notice that the barrel is a reverse taper?
They may or may not be missing. I believe they are put there to make the trigger guard and action line up in the stock like it should. It is possible yours might not have ever had them.

Is yours a heavy barrel model as well, or just a standard/sporter?

What do you mean by "reverse taper"?
Old 09-14-2021, 08:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Nice sako and does not seem to be picky about the ammo it eats.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:30 PM
IGE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes mine is a heavy barrel. Barrel measures .8970 at action and .9070 at muzzle, that's what I mean by reverse taper. I know not much difference. I see what you mean with the shims centering the action in stock but they also might help free float the barrel. Gary