Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:54 PM
beavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heavy or lightweight barrel?

My son and I have an Appleseed coming up in a month and I am wondering which gun to use.

My son will be using a Tippman M-22 with iron sights.

My 57 year old eyes with progressive lenses will need some kind of low power scope and I have a few 10/22s to choose from including a stock factory 10/22 to a 20" 10/22T model to one that has a lightweight Blackhawk Axiom stock and TacSol aluminum barrel that's so light it feels like a toy (but shoots great)

For a whole weekend of shooting with only a sling for support, what is the best weight to go with? The 10/22T does have some heft and has a big, Vortex 4-12 scope. Will it be too bulky and heavy for lots of offhand shooting all week? Or is having some weight up front with a longer, heavier barrel a plus?

Is lighter better or is there such a thing as too light?
Old 08-18-2021, 06:05 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis View Post
M
Is lighter better or is there such a thing as too light?
I find a too light rifle or pistol very difficult to shoot offhand. Weight is inertia and slows the speed at which the muzzle moves around.

Last edited by zukiphile; 08-19-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:28 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I prefer a barrel with some heft, it just hangs better on target for me, in any of the positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2021, 07:54 PM
TCBeard
Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Even more important, take elbow and knee pads! You can you thank me after your Appleseed weekend.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:26 PM
beavis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBeard View Post
Even more important, take elbow and knee pads! You can you thank me after your Appleseed weekend.
I am looking into shooting mats. I may even make a separate post about that.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:52 PM
mostly22lately

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis View Post
I am looking into shooting mats. I may even make a separate post about that.
A mat, ideally with a scrap of carpet underneath, is a huge win. And the mentioned elbow pads, another win.

I am grateful to other from whom I got these nuggets of advice when I did my Appleseeds this year! Really want to go back and qualify for the patch.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:53 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
An alternative to elbow pads is to use your padded rifle case under your elbows. Push it aside for the standing and seated stages, and put it in place for the prone stages.
Iíve done two Appleseeds so far. One with sore elbows, and one without.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:23 AM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No doubt, elbow pads are the way to go, been wearing them since before my first Appleseed, eleven years ago and many events since then.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:25 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGhillemohr View Post
No doubt, elbow pads are the way to go, been wearing them since before my first Appleseed, eleven years ago and many events since then.
Did you have a problem with the pad straps creating a greater pulse disturbance in your support arm?
Old 08-19-2021, 07:54 AM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Did you have a problem with the pad straps creating a greater pulse disturbance in your support arm?
No, not ever, just have to use the right size.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:23 PM
R4000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a huge pulse disturbance, but I always thought that it was my aorta in my belly. I have never been convinced of an arm artery pulse disturbance.

I'll have to pay better attention to that next time.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:09 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I prefer a heavyish 20" barrel and no elbow pads (unless they are sewn into a jacket). The part of the arm you want planted on your support side is really the meaty/fatty part directly above the elbow. I could see some use of a pad on the trigger side I guess.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:00 AM
mkprz
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The answer is, take them all.
There will be plenty of opportunity to switch rifles during breaks. Coordinate with the cadre to transfer safely from vehicle to the firing line.

A good mat and elbow pads go a long way to being comfortable. I bought the soft volleyball type from Amazon.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:29 AM
Kennebago
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, I shot my first Appleseed in a while over the weekend.

I thought about taking a Model 60 but stuck with my varmint-profile CZ instead. Glad I did - wind was a factor in Stage 1 and the heavier barrel noticeably resisted that better.

The weight obviously settles position... but I also find it's easier to settle into NPOA with a heavier rifle. You notice it if you're muscling your shots just a little bit more, since you're muscling a heavier object.

If it's going to be calmish, take whatever you like.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:13 PM
R4000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
In a previous post I said that I'd look out for it.

I got a new rifle. It weighs 15 pounds. Initially I had a huge brachial artery pulse disturbance. I did a couple of things to make the rifle more comfortable, like get 10 round magazines, plus I've been shooting the rifle a lot. Once I got comfortable, the pulse disturbance went away.