Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Memories

You bring back a lot of Toledo memories. A buddy and I trapped during high school so we kept the family in muskrat. For some reason neither family ate coon or opossum so we sold them to a local market. Squirrel, cottontail and ring neck pheasant were all on the menu. How about perch, bluegill, crappie, bass and pike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
We ate muskrat but never had peanut butter in the house.

I still enjoy muskrat and would love to get couple dozen next fall but usually settle for 3 or 4.. Back then they were sold at the local fish market-4 or 5 for a BUCK. But then chicken was only 19 cents/pound.

We ate a lot of egg salad sandwiches esp on Friday but didn't know what PB & J was till much later. One kid in 7th grade nearly always had PB&J sandwich and one of those small boxes of raisins.

We didn't get raisins as Mom canned fruits-80 peaches, 60 cherries, 30-40 pears and 25 or so quarts of homemade fruit cocktail.. We ate all the raspberries, in season we wanted. We always had jam/jellies-raspberry, strawberry, cherry. occasionally some peach. The jelly was made w/ the wax on it and it often got moldy and the top inch had to be discarded on opening.

We didn't think we were poor.

My Dad even would go to the fish market and pick out couple fish from the cooler. They then stepped out back and clean em and drop the guts into the water-nearly a capital crime today. His favorite fish were sheephead (fresh water drum, I believe). He have the neighbors bring him home a couple smaller ones if they caught any.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:27 PM
CedarBranchBiker
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Our meat was chicken, fried the dark meat on Sunday and stewed the white meat on Monday. Then meatless till the next weekend. Cornbread, pintos, fried cabbage with meat drippings, fried pork liver on occasion, now I have a stint in my heart.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 PM
xdm9mm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I always revisit this thread and really enjoy what I read... If I can turn back time, or have the chance to revisit the past, based on everybody's stories, I would really love to go back in time to experience it... I hate most of our UNHEALTHY foods now made of GMO and lots of fats and sugar...
Old 01-26-2017, 01:13 PM
kevinqjhps
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To this day I CAN NOT eat tomato soup or macaroni and cheese. The sight of either turns my stomach. I grew up in a housing project on the South Side of Chicago. I remember getting caught shoplifting. No not candy or toys, food.

Bad as it was I knew that others had it worse.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:57 PM
22shooters
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Navy beans,every meal (no kidding). Macaroni with stewed tomato. Fried potato. Hamburger meat in every conceivable manner. Macaroni and cream of chicken soup. Pork chop on rare occasion. Round steak done in pressure cooker on rare occasions. Breakfast for supper---eggs , canned biscuits and milk gravy. Spaghetti with Chef Boyardee canned sauce. To name a few inexpensive meals. And I also can't stand mac and cheese (I am 61) or balogna because I ate so much as a kid. We had grape vines and mom would fill all her available jars with homemade jelly. She would freeze the leftover grapes and make another batch when she had enough empty jars.

Last edited by 22shooters; 02-18-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:23 AM
SylviaOlson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I was poor and we use to eat rice, beans, potato mash.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:33 PM
tarbe
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Reading through this thread reinforced my sincere belief that it was a blessing to grow up "relatively" poor.

I would never claim it a blessing to grow up destitute...as in no health care and scrounging for everything (think India).

But "poor" by my standards was a family of 6 in the 60's on one income of $4k/year or so.

I was the youngest. Never got new clothes. Mowed lawns for neighbors to earn money for BBs and 22 ammo.

Eating out? LOL

Poor people food? How about a ketchup and mayonnaise sandwich? Just bread with Ketchup and Mayo. I still gag just recalling what it looked like! Almost like you cleaned up roadkill with a slice of bread.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:04 PM
whiplash

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Relatively poor is right. Luckily we had gardens, Dad worked for Dinner Bell Meats and my grandparents had a restaurant.

My favorite cracker to this day - saltines.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:17 PM
Yankee Bill
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We were so poor that we ate dry, uncooked rice for breakfeast, drank water for lunch, and "swelled up" for dinner! JK.

Parents never had much $$ growing up but thankfully we never went hungry.

Dad was a meatcutter and owned a small butcher shop so we had lots of what they called "the butcher's cuts" of meat back then (1960's). Meats that customers didn't really want for the most part, many of which, ironically, are now "in vogue" and fairly pricey. Such as Flank and Skirt Steaks, shanks, Ribs, chicken wings, innards, etc..

Last edited by Yankee Bill; 09-14-2021 at 11:19 PM.