Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interested in .22LR Target Shooting

I started out recently with .177 pellet rifles, and yesterday was able to make it to the local public outdoor shooting range to learn safety, and how to zero in on the target. People there were totally wonderful helping out someone that doesn't shoot powder weapons. I also was able to make the rifle competition last Saturday at that same public range. Between the two outings, I have come to the conclusion that while air rifles are tons of fun, they are basically more expensive, in the long run than air rifles. One of those cost reasons is the amount of support equipment for PCP air rifles.

The local public shooting range puts on competitions. Most were firing Rimfire .22LR rifles of various makes and models. Apparently there is such a diversity of these rifles, that there were several categories where their shooters got recognition for their efforts during the dompetition.

Now, down to brass knuckles. I am former Air Force, 24 years, and therefore do have some experience with firearms. I have shot the M-16, of course, but also shot the M-2. The M-2 was used for qualifying simply because the Vietnam War necessitated that most of the M-16's went to that conflict. I also shot the .38 revolver. In both cases, I qualified as Expert. I was unfortunately not good enough for the Marksman ribbon.

I am interested in just paper Target practice and possibly competition, if I ever can group my shots into anything the size of a silver dollar at 25 yards. I almost accomplished that with my air rifle yesterday. But I eventually want to extend the range to 50 yards, and eventually 100 yards, but no farther.

With the totally confusing number of brands and models of these firearms, I am now having to come to the experts online. I have tried to figure out what I would like to obtain, once I get my firearms permit here in California. Seems California makes it very difficult to do anything that is fun nowadays. I'm surprised there isn't a permit required to breathe. :-)

So, based on my desire to shoot at paper targets, eventually at 100 yards, does anyone have a suggestion on a .22LR Rimfire Rifle? As basically a beginner again (away for firearms for 30 years), I do not wish to spend tons of money. I hope there is a beginner rifle for under $500. I will also need a scope, and hopefully something under $250.

And I need to ask a question about ammo. Air Rifles, seem to be finicky about ammo. It seems you can have two rifles of the same brand and model. But one of those rifles will like Brand X, Type A pellets, while the other will be happy only with Brand B, Type B pellets. Are these .22LR rimfire rifles any different?

I know I was wordy, but I thought a little of my background would be helpful in trying to suggest something for me. There is no rush, as I do not have a permit yet. I go see the store owner, a deputy sheriff, and former US Marine, tomorrow to get his assistance with both the permit, and the safety class requirement. I figure that will probably take a month from tomorrow to the day I receive my permit.

I won't have the cash until around Christmas, so the rifle will be a present to myself.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 PM
Leonard T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Caley with your price limit I would look at the CZ rifles. New or used you can find them for 500 at least in my neck of the woods. Look for a CZ 452,455, or 457. You can find them in standard or varmint weight barreled models. The rimfire 22 can be fussy about ammo buy a few brands see what your rifle likes and go from there. You should be able to shoot better than silver dollar groups with any of those rifles. Are you going to be shooting off a bench or off hand that makes a huge difference. As far as scopes something in the range of 24x would work pretty good with parallax adjustable feature, fixed or variable is up to you. I would check out Midway USA on the scope or some of the sponsors here for options. Hope this helps good luck Leonard T
Old 08-19-2019, 11:28 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A permit is required to buy a .22 rifle in CA?
Say it ain't so!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 03:19 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Your second post about the same thing. Anyway.... you will NOT find a target rifle for that price unless you can find a good used H&R. CZ's are sporters, and in my opinion are over priced at still over your $500 limit. Now, to shoot like you want to, you are going to need a $400-$600 scope for that rifle. If $500 is your limit for everything, you need to wait, and save more money because its not going to happen for that cheap for gun and scope.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:45 AM
MannlicherFan
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Already posted my comments in your other thread.

They can be found here.. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&postcount=44

Don't know what a bad back & stiff legs have to do with target shooting.

I have a bad back and sometimes one or both of my knee's get stiff (winter).
Doesn't stop me from enjoying a trip to the hills with my grandson for an afternoon of plinking.

Last edited by MannlicherFan; 08-20-2019 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:37 AM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oooops!!!

When I wrote my first thread, I didn't know there was a delay of it being posted to the forum, so this is actually a duplicate thread.

Hovannes, I live in California. You almost need a permit to breathe. Yes, a 22lr rimfire is a firearm, so California says you must have a weapons permit to use and own it.

You also need a permit to purchase ammunition. On top of that, if I am not mistaken, California limits just how much ammunition you can purchase at one time.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Caley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please Close This Tread. It is a Duplicate

Moderator, Please Close This Tread. It is a Duplicate. Thanks